By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
John2290 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Ya know, I honestly see both sides of this argument (though this site was not built on the basis of console wars ). For JWein, I see why he would feel a need to take action, given it was a brand new account and its only post is an example of mild trolling (we are harsher on newer accounts). 

On the other? I get why it would frustrate people to see what could be perceived as mild trolling via a meme receive such harsh punishment. Though you have no idea of the user will ever post here again, it is a fair assumption to make. 

So, let's tackle it another way. What makes the post accurate? Was it fair to take that shot at Halo? Why? Would such a post have caused any further issues in that thread had it been left as it was? I'm open to hearing your feedback (though in the future, PM the mod in question first).

Whoops, I meant to take out the moderator comment, I didn't mean to call anyone out singularly and I'm using this as an example cause it's an issue I see time and time again where a user makes an account and gets hammered off the site with, I'm sure a sense of spite not to return.

Indeed, I have no idea if they will post again but it would be great to see some cultivation for new users instead of straight to the time outs and I don't presume to know what goes on behind the scenes and because of that I'll not give the suggestions on how this could be fixed yet is it too much to ask for some patience among the mods for new users, I really wanna see this site come back to life as it's easily one of my favourite sites on the net. 

If it broke a rule of bait or flaming, sure whatever but straight to a ban is something large sites with huge userbases can afford, not one that is in decline and is loosing it's most loyal posters in protest regularly. Maybe it is a meme that would cause trouble but is that trouble worth loosing a new user who may go on to bring the site years of content? 

Actually since you're open to hearing my suggestions, how about a three strike rule for fresh users with warning then move to a very short ban and increase from there and also have a notification to a user on the log in screen where it just says you've been banned cause they may not be able to find their way back to their account and assume they are actually banned and not just suspended for a time and maybe this would explain why they don't come back once their ban time is up. Perhaps it's time to call bans, suspensions and replace use the word ban for permabans alone? And how about a complete good faith rule for posters in the under the 50 post count who are in that kind of trial phase and assume the best even when it seems the worst. Just spit ballin.

All I'm saying is it takes investment to get into a site and when users are banned without that investment ya can't blame them for turning their backs.

That investment is a two-way street. If your "investment" into a forum as a new user is spreading (in this case fictitious) FUD and cheap trolling from the get-go, how can you expect to be embraced in the community. That's the purpose of moderations anyway, if there was any doubt about the conduct expected of your behavior, then the ban/moderation is an obvious indicator that the behavior isn't wanted or acceptable. Take a second to familiarize yourself with the rules and move on.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Raven said:

That investment is a two-way street. If your "investment" into a forum as a new user is spreading (in this case fictitious) FUD and cheap trolling from the get-go, how can you expect to be embraced in the community. That's the purpose of moderations anyway, if there was any doubt about the conduct expected of your behavior, then the ban/moderation is an obvious indicator that the behavior isn't wanted or acceptable. Take a second to familiarize yourself with the rules and move on.

If this was the mentality for sites like twitter or Reddit in the early days they'd all be completely barren.

That's not even a counter to my argument, it's basically a "what if" statement. Having moderated here in the past, I've experienced first-hand that out of control toxicity on this forum caused valuable users to leave and not come back. 

John2290 said:

I was going to post this in the "This place is getting deserted" thread but I decided here was more appropriate so I have a query on behalf of someone else, this user below who was banned for this post. I missed the reasoning since they are unbanned but I was wondering, just why? This site was built on console wars and this user decided to create and account and post, was given no leniency or a warning and most likely will never post here again. Are the mods actively trying to keep the site from seeing any boom come the generation swap? 

I see nothing wrong with this post in fact, it's quite accurate but aside from that, if you ban for memes on new users with no regard to giving a warning you're just killing any chance this forum has to see new users take the place of the old users, let alone see a boom with people who have buyers anxiety when the 9th gen arrives. The numbers are gone, this is all that is left. Just why?

TheRealOne said:

-User was banned for this post. JWeincom

First off, the post is most certainly not accurate. To the best of my knowledge, Infinity War was not made on a PS5. So, not accurate at all.

Secondly, the post was made in a topic that was posting the trailer for Halo Infinity. Coming in just to take shots at Halo Infinite is kind of shitty, but depending on how it's worded might be appropriate. The bigger question is what did this topic have to do with PS5? What is the purpose of mentioning PS5 at all, if not specifically to start shit with XBox fans? 

Basically, someone posted a topic about the new Halo game, and a user barreled in to say HEY PS5 IS BETTER THAN XBOX! That's exactly the kind of trolling behavior we don't need.

The current rules are to be strict with new users. If that changes, then I'll change how I do things (btw this moderation was brought up in mod chat before I did anything for the record). For me, quality is more important than quantity, and honestly, if a user's went through the effort of making an account just to antagonize other users... I'd say they're probably not going to contribute too much to the community. Of course, they're welcome to come back after the ban and prove me wrong. There's also a fairly high likelihood that it's an alt account. Again, it's not my decision really, but I'd prefer a smaller community than one filled with those kinds of posts.

And also consider the fact that this may actually increase new users. Suppose we have a Halo fan who is a perspective user who might actually contribute to the community in the future. And the first thing they see is a troll post. Not a good luck for us. At least by showing that these types of things are not what this community allows, we have a better chance of keeping that user.

So, yeah. I totally stand by that decision.

John2290 said:
JWeinCom said:

First off, the post is most certainly not accurate. To the best of my knowledge, Infinity War was not made on a PS5. So, not accurate at all.

Secondly, the post was made in a topic that was posting the trailer for Halo Infinity. Coming in just to take shots at Halo Infinite is kind of shitty, but depending on how it's worded might be appropriate. The bigger question is what did this topic have to do with PS5? What is the purpose of mentioning PS5 at all, if not specifically to start shit with XBox fans? 

Basically, someone posted a topic about the new Halo game, and a user barreled in to say HEY PS5 IS BETTER THAN XBOX! That's exactly the kind of trolling behavior we don't need.

The current rules are to be strict with new users. If that changes, then I'll change how I do things (btw this moderation was brought up in mod chat before I did anything for the record). For me, quality is more important than quantity, and honestly, if a user's went through the effort of making an account just to antagonize other users... I'd say they're probably not going to contribute too much to the community. Of course, they're welcome to come back after the ban and prove me wrong. There's also a fairly high likelihood that it's an alt account. Again, it's not my decision really, but I'd prefer a smaller community than one filled with those kinds of posts.

And also consider the fact that this may actually increase new users. Suppose we have a Halo fan who is a perspective user who might actually contribute to the community in the future. And the first thing they see is a troll post. Not a good luck for us. At least by showing that these types of things are not what this community allows, we have a better chance of keeping that user.

So, yeah. I totally stand by that decision.

I didn't mean to call you out and forgot to snip the moderator comment by the time I managed to find this thread cause the link from Google didn't work. I apologise for that. I also was mainly using this specific ban as a general idea of what I see done to new users the past few months, Hearing it from CGI and now you I get the reasoning specifically here and mostly overall, I just wish there could be another method found to deal with this in general that helps cultivate a new userbase for the future. Warnings, three strikes, thread time outs... Oh Idk, anything but straight to the vacation.

I don't really mind. I would prefer though for the actual topic to be linked, so the post can be seen in context. I'm not like upset or anything, but if an action I took is brought up, I feel like I should explain it. 

Kan jag maka der post titlar på svenska? Ör ist svenska cönsidera ett "foul language?" SVENSKAR!!!!!!!!
(Can I make a post title in Swedish? Or is Swedish considered a foul language? Sweeeedish!)

Under Heading 4, section A, subsection 6:
4. THREAD CREATION
A) Thread Titles:
6. Should not include inappropriate/foul language.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 26 July 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Kan jag maka der post titlar på svenska? Ör ist svenska cönsidera ett "foul language?" SVENSKAR!!!!!!!!
(Can I make a post title in Swedish? Or is Swedish considered a foul language? Sweeeedish!)

4. THREAD CREATION
A) Thread Titles:

quite sure the offical language of sweden is arabic these days

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Jumpin said:

4. THREAD CREATION
A) Thread Titles:

quite sure the offical language of sweden is arabic these days

It’s not.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

For a brand new user, a warning with directions to the forum rules would have been sufficient. And as I mentioned in the thread, it made me laugh. It was more due to the juxtaposition of Thanos with the almost simian, dare I say, stupid looking, face of the Halo alien than it was due to console wars. I get why Xbox fans or even neutral observers would report it though. Absolutely. As it is, I hope the new member that was banned will return. Site needs more PS fans. I feel bad for making this post, because I have lovely members to respond to, and might not get a chance to today. Person. Woman. Man. Camera.......TV!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
For a brand new user, a warning with directions to the forum rules would have been sufficient. And as I mentioned in the thread, it made me laugh. It was more due to the juxtaposition of Thanos with the almost simian, dare I say, stupid looking, face of the Halo alien than it was due to console wars. I get why Xbox fans or even neutral observers would report it though. Absolutely. As it is, I hope the new member that was banned will return. Site needs more PS fans. I feel bad for making this post, because I have lovely members to respond to, and might not get a chance to today. Person. Woman. Man. Camera.......TV!

I would say there are too few xbox fans here. Probably because of those memes and downvotes they get on news comments.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

COKTOE said:

trust me it was trolling

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.