By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
CGI-Quality said:
RolStoppable said:

I think the biggest issue is that members of the mod team usually have no experience with the ugly face of that rule. They don't know how it is to get punished for making an observation.

Barkley knows how it is. While he didn't get moderated, I am sure he found it strange that a mod called him out after he told someone how incredibly biased his posts are. Meanwhile, the mod did not request the other party to provide a defensible argument and instead completely ignored the biased drivel that was the cause of the incident.

The Mods are currently talking about it. Some agree with my view, others disagree. One thing we all agree on, however, is not letting things get to a point where people are free to do as they please. So, I may/may not be refining that Rule. Just depends on Moderator feedback, as well as, a potential Poll in here. 

I'll make a decision based on all of it. While I disagree with much of what you say, Rol, I'm still considering your feedback. 

While i see where you're coming from, comments that are insulting to a group of people shouldn't  just get off with a warning. Me calling someone racist when they are openly saying racist things shouldn't have resulted in me getting a ban for 3 days and the guy only getting a warning , but i understand you removed the ban so just giving my opinion. I think i should have gotten a warning and he should should gotten a ban that would seem fair to me.

Last edited by quickrick - on 19 May 2018

Around the Network

I don't much care for the rule. Generally speaking, I think moderation on this site is a bit (just a bit) too tight all around. Some moderators seem to have itchy trigger fingers. But, I don't think its a big problem, really. I'd just like to see a little more common sense exhibited sometimes.

Note that I know next to nothing about the specific incident being discussed here, and do not have an opinion on it.

Bristow9091 said:
quickrick said:

While i see where you're coming from, comments that are insulting to a group of people shouldn't  just get off with a warning. Me calling someone racist when they are openly saying racist things shouldn't have resulted in me getting a ban for 3 days and the guy only getting a warning , but i understand you removed the ban so just giving my opinion. I think i should have gotten a warning and he should should gotten a ban that would seem fair to me.

I'm just gonna' throw my opinion in here too, lol

The way I see it, as someone who wasn't part of the whole "ordeal", the reason you were given a moderation is for calling someone out as a racist troll, yes? Rather than go through the proper channels of reporting him, moving on and trusting the mods to take care of it, you took it into your own hands and called him out, which in the real world is sort of like being a vigilante... they think they're doing good, in their own way, but really they're just working against the law, in this case the moderators.

The problem is, what you don't see is what goes off behind the curtains, in a case like this I'm sure @CGI-Quality would have looked at the post on itself, then as part of the conversation, and eventually looking to see if the poster has a history of anything similar... I just checked CrazyGamer's moderation history and he's only been hit once before which was for generalizing Nintendo fans... and I daresay the post he made that you were insulted by, seemed more like generalizing than racism, and I personally wouldn't deem it fit for an actual ban as it is. Now, as for YOUR moderation, yes it did start as a ban, but was then knocked down to a warning... now, your history isn't perfect either, is it? In fact, your moderation history is actually much worse, and you've sort of gained a reputation, so I can see why that decision would have been made, especially after we recently talked about how to deal with this sort of thing (Remember, the first thing to do is ALWAYS report the person, don't get yourself involved, otherwise you could say the wrong thing and end up on the wrong side of a moderation, as you've experienced, lol). But y'know, you got away with a warning too, and hopefully in the future you'll know what to do in those situations. 

Not sure if anything I've said is helpful or not, but yeah...

No its racist, it's not generalizing when you use a word like savages. if i called blacks or Brazilians animals that wouldn't be racist to you?

CGI-Quality said:
quickrick said:

No its racist, it's not generalizing when you use a word like savages. if i called blacks or Brazilians animals that wouldn't be racist to you?

Racism, very much, involves the generalization of a people. If you call a certain group "animals", you'd most likely have a reason for it (in your own mind). You associate most (or all) of that group as one, making it a generalization.

The mod above was saying it was  generalization and not really  racism. Generalization has different Disagrees for example saying blacks love fried chicken, you can argue that's generalization and not racism, saying blacks are savages, animals, and uncivilized, well thats both.     

quickrick said:
CGI-Quality said:

Racism, very much, involves the generalization of a people. If you call a certain group "animals", you'd most likely have a reason for it (in your own mind). You associate most (or all) of that group as one, making it a generalization.

The mod above was saying it was  generalization and not really  racism. Generalization has different Disagrees for example saying blacks love fried chicken, you can argue that's generalization and not racism, saying blacks are savages, animals, and uncivilized, well thats both.     

Generalizations can be true and not racist but it can also be false or racist. It depends entirely on their reasoning and what is said. Savage wasn't used as a racist slur but as a characterisation of behavior in their conflict with Israel.

Around the Network

Disregard.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 21 May 2018

Can we get HomoK unbanned please?

Why are you asking for your brothers account to be unbanned? Cant he follow the procedure thats in place?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

CGI-Quality said:
VAMatt said:
I don't much care for the rule. Generally speaking, I think moderation on this site is a bit (just a bit) too tight all around. Some moderators seem to have itchy trigger fingers. But, I don't think its a big problem, really. I'd just like to see a little more common sense exhibited sometimes.

Note that I know next to nothing about the specific incident being discussed here, and do not have an opinion on it.

It's not so much common sense as it is context. In fact, that's usually where people bump heads in this. Like Bristow said, the community needs to also give a little. Trust in the Mods that, if you report someone, we'll, at the very least, take a look at it.

No offense, but based on my experience reporting people, I have zero reason to trust that the mods will take a serious look at things that are reported.

I know I've already placed a report and other users have commented on this but.... any comments from the mod team on this?
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8806823

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.