By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why I think Nintendo Switch is set for another Wii U disaster.

Pemalite said:
Soundwave said:

Stop comparing it exclusively to the Wii U.

It's IS the 3DS successor too. That pretty much assures some sizable level of userbase. From a practical common sense POV, most of the Switch's potential audience is coming from the 3DS base (there isn't much of anything from the Wii U base to draw from in the first place). 

Whether we're talking 30-50 million, 60-70 million, or beyond that is anyone's guess at this point.

Some of you would call a dog a cat if Nintendo marketing told you so.

Once portables got to PS3/360 level of visual fidelity having some form of TV output was inevitable, had Sony made a PSP 3/Vita 2 it likely would also be able to play on the TV, because that level of graphics looks decent enough on a HDTV.

Even so. A past systems success does not mean the successor will be successful either.
The 3DS sold less than the DS.
The PS3 sold less than the PS2.
Otherwise the Wii U might have sold more than 14% of the original Wii.

But the reverse also holds true, a poor selling system is not representative of the success of the next machine, case in point the Wii out-selling the Gamecube by about 500%.
I wish people would drop this argument anyway. :P

With that in mind, I don't see the Switch having Wii-like success at this stage, the same level of excitement just doesn't seem to be in the air, which is sad, hopefully I get proven wrong on release day.

Nintendo needs to do well and remain successfull, competition is a great thing and benefits us all, people wanting Nintendo to offer more competitive hardware is also a good thing, Nintendo might listen to it's consumers one day.

I will personally buy a "Switch TV" one day (Aka. Switch without all the portable stuff.) if Nintendo offers it at a lower price.

Pretty sure 60-70 million (3DS) and 80-85 million (PS3) is quite successful. 

Nintendo's never going to offer competetive hardware, those days are over with the 1990s (GameCube hardware was largely R&Ded in the 90s). 

Around the Network
Kai_Mao said:

Here's the thing though. Does the Switch need to reach 100 million to be a success? It could probably sell 50-70 million and still be financially successful due to the first party games alone. Plus that's not their only area of revenue anymore since they have multiple areas which include merchandise, mobile, and, eventually, films, tv shows (outside of Pokemon), and theme parks.

You probably aren't wrong. 30+ million would probably be seen as a success for most companies, any more is icing.

Sadly they will miss out on a chunky piece of the TV/Movie market due to the lack of 3G/4G mobile support, Netflix on the Go?
Something like Pokemon Go would thus also be unlikely.

As for Nintendo's Revenue. You would be kidding yourself if you don't think Consoles aren't Nintendo's bread-and-butter, however they have seen the writing on the wall and they cannot guarentee success every time they release a product... And so to erase such volatility, they need to diversify.

Microsoft has done it, Sony has done it. They don't rely on any singular market for the majority of their revenue, it is smart business sense, it doesn't mean they neglect consoles though.

Kai_Mao said:

its gonna be interesting. Some say that Nintendo should just completely match PS4/Xbone in terms of power. But Nintendo games themselves don't really utilize that much power and they don't emphasize power but more on gameplay experiences. BoTW is their most ambitious project yet, but it's not gonna be a new standard of pushing graphical power for Nintendo. The new 3D Mario is not gonna set the gaming world on fire with its graphical power but it's new gameplay experiences. So offering competitive hardware (4K and all that) might work for third parties but I'm not sure if it would do much for Nintendo. They're not Square or Naughty Dog who are trying to push graphics and power.

Nintendo will do what Nintendo does.
With that in mind, my favorite Nintendo consoles are the ones that were competitive in terms of performance and not "generationally behind" like the Wii or Wii U.

The NES reinvigorated console gaming and brought us some amazing games for that generation.
The SNES refined it and took it to the next level. - Plus games using SGI machines to make pre-rendered art were draw-dropping back then.
The Nintendo 64 could only be beaten by the PC, Perfect Dark showed us what the N64 could do when programmed it's way.
The Gamecube had some amazing games which have aged extremely well. (Luigi mansions lighting is one.)

And they all had some of my favorite games like Kirby's Dreamland on the NES, Killer Instinct on the SNES, Perfect Dark on the N64 and Metroid Prime on Gamecube.
And they were some of the best looking and most enjoyable games in those Generations as well. In otherwords... You can have both amazing graphics and amazing gameplay and as a consumer you should always push companies to give their best.

Sure, Nintendo doesn't need graphics to make great games, but better Graphics does help in my opinion, it makes a game world more believable and immersive so you can loose yourself in it.
Nintendo often sadly needs to resort to other simpler effects such as Cell-shading or cartoonish art to hide their graphics deficit, which can look fine I guess... But it does scare away 3rd party's and that means less people will consider a Nintendo device and opt for a competitors.

Kai_Mao said:

Why are Pokemon, Smash, Mario, etc. still selling so well? It's certainly not due to graphics and nostalgia alone would not be enough. It's because they provide new experiences and are great games in general. Not saying games like Last of Us, Uncharted, Halo, GTA, Fallout aren't great, but you could probably tell that for many years Nintendo doesn't prioritize power and they've remained successful at that. So why (other than third parties) do they need to have specs of that of the other consoles?

The main reason games like Pokemon, Smash and Mario do so well is because... Well. They are simply the best games on the system. You can't exactly pick up the latest Call of Duty, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Battlefield, Asassins Creed and play them.
Your only real choice is Nintendo titles, which are solid in their own right.

Plus Nintendo Platforms tend to target younger gamers and the casual Audience, which tend to gravitate to the less-mature video game franchises for obvious reason, which is also fine.

Plus power can lend a hand towards gameplay.

It wasn't untill we reached a point just last generation that gaming platforms got powerful enough to handle decent Physics calculations... Which enabled new gameplay mechanics in Half Life 2... And enabled a new amazing franchise to be Born. Portal.

We reached a point a few generations ago that Lighting was sufficiently advanced enough for Stealth to actually be a viable mechanic.

Game worlds also seem to be getting larger and more "open" thanks to the vastly increased amounts of storage and DRAM present in systems, which is again. Also great.

In the end. The only reason why Nintendo hasn't opted for more powerful hardware is simply, money. They wish to make more of it with cheaper, albeit slower hardware.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

1) The point of his argument is to get people to stop thinking of the console from ONLY one perspective.

And that's fine.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

2) Did you see Wii having Wii-like success? I mean, you could argue you saw it being successful, but did you REALLY see it having the success it enjoyed? Or how about the DS enjoying the success it enjoyed? People at the time thought making a second hand held (because Nintendo said it was the, "third pillar") was commercial and finacial suicide. The DS even started out kind of rocky, was weaker than the PSP, and was being derided by journalists (until the first online titles came out... specifically Animal Crossing) but... it took off and almost nobody saw what was coming. My point? Saying you do not see it is just a safe bet. It takes heart to jump out and see something being a massive success or a massive failure. I am not saying you are lying about how you feel, I am just saying that it surprises nobody that people would think a console that has proven nothing will be nothing special.

Irrellevent? The Wii had people racing to stores, it was all anyone could talk about, it even ended up in old-folks homes.
The Switch? It is not generating the same kind of buzz.
Ergo... At this point in time, It is reasonable to predict that the Switch is NOT going to have a Wii-like success, which was bordering on a craze.
Again, that's fine.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

3) The hardware is competitve for a hand held. I think people want it to be a home console so badly that they are not realizing it is a freaking hand held. What it offers will not appease everyone; if it tried, it may not be affordable to everyone. However, the people that have seen the console (especially from a more casual side) seem to see little reason to hate on the console.

The hardware is not fine for a handheld.
It is certainly inadequate for a console.

And it has to do the job of both.

GhaudePhaede010 said:

4) So, you do not plan on buying a Switch then... And why would anyone buy want what appears to be an evolved 3DS without the evolutionary parts (protability, touch screen, or 3D feature)? Why would anyone buy another version of Wii U but without the touch screen or off screen game play in 2017? It makes no sense to want this console in another form factor because it seems incomplete and lacking in leverage if it does not offer something to compensate for its lack of graphical horse power.

I would have been in line to grab the switch before Tegra was announced to be included.
An underclocked Tegra makes me sneer at it.

I am a tech enthusiast, I don't enjoy mediocre hardware and you need to deal with that fact.

As for why I would like it in another form factor? Cost. Ditch the screen, ditch the removable controls, ditch the battery, ditch the docking mechanism...
If Ouya can do it for $99... Then it has the appropriate price/performance to attract my attention.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Will the switch outsell the ps4? Unlikely.
Will it be a bigger success then wiiu? Definitely!

Its going to do well in japan 10-15mill heck maybe even more.

The problem it has is what if switch gets a monster hunter,give me one damn good reason why capcom wont make that game for the 50+mill user base of the ps4.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

niceguygameplayer said:

Update: I said if what the guy said is true. Also, in hindsight, a new year blog could be more positive and I should have waited for the official unveiling soon. Poor timing on my part. I will take your criticisms constructively. I have been moderated twice and wish to improve with my threads. Thanks for the feedback guys. Next thread will be positive.

If what the ex Ubisoft worker said is true about how weak the Switch is, that's it. Nintendo will not learn. Another failure is coming out. Sorry to say it guys, but I just don't see any reason to want this unless you are a Nintendo diehard. 

They need to make a powerful next gen console that can handle modern ports and really good looking 3D Mario. Weaker than Xbox One when PS4 Pro is out and Scorpio is coming soon? That's ridiculous! 

It might work in Japan, but everywhere else, it will bomb after initial release. It sounds like a slightly more powerful Wii U. I will buy no Switch or future Nintendo products.

You don't make a compelling point why the Switch will fail. The Wii was weak and it sold 100 mirrion!

The Switch could fail because it's not a compelling product, people already have mobiles when they're on the go. In the trailer they show multiplayer games being played like MK or the NBA game outside with friends. That looks so ridiculous, for one, the tiny screen will not be shared by more than 1 person when everybody has their own tablet. Nor will non gamer people come together to play a game like this:

I do expect it to be way more popular than the Wii U, because the Switch is also the successor of the 3DS, it's essentially an handheld as you never need a tv to play. It has potential to sell 20M in Japan alone.

Turkish said:
niceguygameplayer said:

Update: I said if what the guy said is true. Also, in hindsight, a new year blog could be more positive and I should have waited for the official unveiling soon. Poor timing on my part. I will take your criticisms constructively. I have been moderated twice and wish to improve with my threads. Thanks for the feedback guys. Next thread will be positive.

If what the ex Ubisoft worker said is true about how weak the Switch is, that's it. Nintendo will not learn. Another failure is coming out. Sorry to say it guys, but I just don't see any reason to want this unless you are a Nintendo diehard. 

They need to make a powerful next gen console that can handle modern ports and really good looking 3D Mario. Weaker than Xbox One when PS4 Pro is out and Scorpio is coming soon? That's ridiculous! 

It might work in Japan, but everywhere else, it will bomb after initial release. It sounds like a slightly more powerful Wii U. I will buy no Switch or future Nintendo products.

You don't make a compelling point why the Switch will fail. The Wii was weak and it sold 100 mirrion!

The Switch could fail because it's not a compelling product, people already have mobiles when they're on the go. In the trailer they show multiplayer games being played like MK or the NBA game outside with friends. That looks so ridiculous, for one, the tiny screen will not be shared by more than 1 person when everybody has their own tablet. Nor will non gamer people come together to play a game like this:

I do expect it to be way more popular than the Wii U, because the Switch is also the successor of the 3DS, it's essentially an handheld as you never need a tv to play. It has potential to sell 20M in Japan alone.

The detachable joycons are gonna be something younger audiences are gonna like a lot, and the youngers are a huge part of any Nintendo handheld. Also i want to add, the way I see it this is not really made so you meet your friends out to to play together, is not made to make a plan about it, is more about unexpected situations, travels or things like that, imagine a friend watchs you playing somewhere and thinks the game is cool, you can just invite him to play with you in that moment and in that same place wherever you are, that is cool, the detachable controllers had to be there anyways, they just found a way to take more profit of them and if that's not your thing is just very easy to ignore.

Around the Network
Mr.GameCrazy said:

I'm sorry for not really responding to your points earlier. My break was almost over before returning to work at that point and I didn't really have time to really try to address the issues you mentioned.

I don't see how that is would be really confusing to general consumers when the reveal trailer for the Nintendo Switch makes it very clear how these control schemes would work (well at least from my point of view).

I don't really think having 3-4 options is really trying to do too many things while failing to do any of them properly.

You'll see in the next 6 months, when the switch news start coming to the general public, you'll see how they respond. You should stop thinking that they'll have as good of a reaction as you had.

You are a gamer and a Nintendo fan, you are not the average consumer. And again I don't mean that in a bad way, I'm a gamer and a Nintendo fan too, if I look at the Switch from my personal perspective, I like it and I will buy it, it's a great powerful handheld. But the fact that I like it and I will buy it do not make me believe that it will be a successful console.

Miyamotoo said:

I really can't see how you can talk about poor quality you saw on late tonight show and if actually you didn't tried device itself!? You posts are basically like you are using Switch for few weeks now, you have some huge negative assumptions here.

When I see the switch, I see more ressemblance with chinese products than Nintendo's or Sony's. That's really obvious if you actually have the capacity to criticize something Nintendo makes.

Pemalite said:

The hardware is not fine for a handheld.
It is certainly inadequate for a console.

And it has to do the job of both.

If the console manages to have 3/5 hours of battery, without overheating and making too much noise being like 7 times more powerful than Vita, yes, is definitely rightas qa handheld, the size is not an argument when people this days are used to carry bigger tablets around. 

Also I dont see how is inadequate for a console, that thing is like 3 times the power of wiiu when docked.

maxleresistant said:
Miyamotoo said:

I really can't see how you can talk about poor quality you saw on late tonight show and if actually you didn't tried device itself!? You posts are basically like you are using Switch for few weeks now, you have some huge negative assumptions here.

When I see the switch, I see more ressemblance with chinese products than Nintendo's or Sony's. That's really obvious if you actually have the capacity to criticize something Nintendo makes.

Disagree, Switch and controllers look very modern and attractive, and of course you cant comment quality based just on few pictures, you cant comment quality if you didn't try it itself or at least read about quality.

maxleresistant said:
Miyamotoo said:

But you are ridiculously blind probably because of the opposite reason, no one is saying Switch looks specially cheap quite the opposite, you are the exception for very good reasons, in the first set of images the worst looking of them all by far is the 2nd, Switch looks sexy the second is the one that looks like a transformer made by some chinese company, and on the other set, are you really saying to me that the Switch one does not look way better and way less cheap than the other 2? Switch doesnt look like cheap plastic like the Wii or WiiU at all, open your damn eyes.