By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ex-Ubisoft Dev: Direct ports from PS4/Xbox One to Nintendo Switch not possible

CaptainExplosion said:
Get your shit together Nintendo! Quit holding back on hardware specs!

Dude, you'd be hard pressed to find a more powerful tablet on the market right now. They aren't holding back at all.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

Let's remember: people are eager to play Nintendo's games. They just don't want to pay $300-400 for the privilege.

Yes.  I think a low price is more important than power for Switch success.  I'd like to see this thing selling at $200, or maybe $250 in an attractive bundle deal. If they can do that, I think it has a great chance to sell 50mm or more units.  And, if it sells 50mm units, there will be tons of games developed for it.  

$200 is the sweet spot. $250 max. 

A Nintendo hybrid with Pokémon, Super Mario, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Tomodotchi, Smash Bros., Splatoon, and Zelda WILL sell. Then Activision and EA can decide if they want a piece of the action.

Hiku said:
Darwinianevolution said:

To be fair, there aren't that many big western AAA games that have the potential of selling well on the Switch. The only one I can think of is Skyrim, because it can catter to the Zelda userbase and it's the first portable TES game. This system will get tons of A-AA games (both western and eastern) and last gen remasters, which will be a big step from the WiiU's support.

Wii sold over 100m and most of the mainline A-AA Japanese franchises skipped Wii (and N64, Gamecube and WiiU).
If we're talking about console A-AA games that appear on PS4, I'm not confident we'll see much of a change in that department. However, if we're talking about the lower budget games that would normally appear on 3DS, I think Switch will get a lot of support from that direction. Basically I'm expecting a library similar to 3DS + WiiU.

Yeah, I'm expecting something similar to that, maybe slightly bigger due to the potential Vita devs either porting multiplats or fully migrating to the Switch. Plus PS360 ports in the form of toned-down remasters (western publishers will say the games on the Switch are remastered, but are only half remastered compared to the remasters on PC and PS4/XBOne).

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Crunching the numbers he's probably right ... 1.3 TFLOP (XBox One spec) is jut not going to scale easily down all the way to 160 gigaflops for the Switch (games have to run in the portable mode), even if you reduce the resolution down, you're still coming up short. 

You're not going to be able to simply just dump a game onto Switch without significant modifications unless it's a game that barely taxes the PS4/XB1.

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Radek said:

If that's true then Nintendo screwed up again.
Is it that hard to make a console that can have all Nintendo exclusives and all the multiplatform games at the same time?

Failed with Wii, then Wii U and now may fail again with Switch, it's not right to release a console that's 2 times slower than 3 year old PS4 which was already considered weak when it came out.

Failed with Wii?

Anyway, why care? You game on PS platforms right? Why do you need ANOTHER platform that plays all the third party games you'll play on PS4 or PC? What harm is an underpowered Nintendo console doing to you?

This is a video gaming forum and regardless of what platform you own every system is of interest to everyone. Wheather he owns PS console or not doesnt matter. And everyone is participating.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:

$200 is the sweet spot. $250 max. 

Agreed.  I'm picturing the base Switch handheld screen thing for $200, then a bundle with the dock and maybe a "pro" controller for $250 or so.  Even $250 to get the full experience may be pushing it.  I'd like to see some aggressive deals and a big ad campaign going into the first holiday season too.  

Unforunately, Nintendo has a history of pricing their hardware too high at launch.  I hope they get this one right.    

Some PS4/XB1 ports should be possible, PS3/360 still were able to run certain games like MGSV and Far Cry 4 and the Switch is in docked mode at least a good deal more powerful than both with 6x more RAM (if we assume 3GB available to games).

That said, Nintendo fans also need to be realistic, the process of porting a lot of those types of games is not going to be easy, and will require some large compromises in the game. For $60 you're almost certainly getting a fairly compromised/downgraded port.

PS3/360 ports I think will be more plentiful.

Games that can't even hit 1080p on an XBox One though are going to be huge challenges to port I think. 

KLAMarine said:
shikamaru317 said:

Been saying this ever since the Digital Foundry specs leak. You simply can't run games that are designed to run on 1300+ gflops systems on a system with 393 gflops when docked and 157 gflops when undocked, not without extra work by the devs to build lower quality assets for the Switch version, which most of the big western devs aren't going to take the time or resources to do.

Where are you getting these 393 and 157 gflop figures from?

Eurogamer + Neogaf.

If Switch could run at 393 GFLOPS in portable mode and docked mode was double that at 786 GFLOPS ... with double the memory bandwidth (50GB/sec) ... then PS4/XB1 ports would be much more of a thing I think.

Nothing is confirmed until Nintendo or Nvidia reveal what the specs are, people.

There are plenty of people that have stated that the Switch will be easy to port to, and this is one that contradicts all of that. Just wait 12 more days before jumping to conclusions.