By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you feel about the difficulty in Pokémon games?

hershel_layton said:
spemanig said:

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that Pokémon be made tougher on kids.

A lot of people want a harder pokemon game.

Personally, I don't mind. They made a normal/hard mode in Black/White. If they can treat Pokemon like other games( easy, normal, and hard), I can see more people being satisfied with the game

A lot of people want a harder difficulty option. I've never seen anyone suggest replacing what's currently there with something difficult.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
hershel_layton said:

A lot of people want a harder pokemon game.

Personally, I don't mind. They made a normal/hard mode in Black/White. If they can treat Pokemon like other games( easy, normal, and hard), I can see more people being satisfied with the game

A lot of people want a harder difficulty option. I've never seen anyone suggest replacing what's currently there with something difficult.

Of course not. It'd ruin what pokemon is known for- the diverse community. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.

If you think Pokemon is easy, then come online and play battles against other people and you will see.

It's incredibly deep and challenging. With an enormous amount to learn and a lot of time to train pokemons to a competitive level.

Pokemon is on the easier scale for me quiet some time, same with Final Fantasy and few other JRPGs. Typically I find Dungeon Crawlers to be the most challenging, so if I had to make scale between 1 (which is what I find Final Fantasy on) and 10 (What I find some dungeon crawlers on), I give this between 0-2 sometimes borderline babying you, and sometimes it picks up towards the end but never game over. 

Lucas-Rio said:
If you think Pokemon is easy, then come online and play battles against other people and you will see.

It's incredibly deep and challenging. With an enormous amount to learn and a lot of time to train pokemons to a competitive level.

The campaign isn't, which is what this thread is talking about.

Around the Network

It's fine, they somehow make it doable for both beginners and competitive experts. Thetotem battles were hard af and the Pokemon league was hard too

The correct difficulty is whatever difficulty the developer chooses. Nintendo wants the story in Pokemon games to be easy thus accessible and beatable by anyone, so the games are going to be easy and only when a Pokemon game's story isn't easy by design should the developers be held at fault.

I found the story in Sun/Moon to be very easy so everything checks out!

spurgeonryan said:
I think all or most games should have multiple difficulties or just add your own in. Want to make the game hard? Beat it with one pokeaman or something.

I think difficulty is an integral part of fleshing out a game, and some games don't gel well with certain difficulties. Dark Souls shouldn't be easy and Kirby shouldn't be hard.

I don't think the decision should always be left up to the player.

They are childishly easy. I know the main challenge comes from battling other players but the trainers and even the gym leaders are brain dead.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

spemanig said:
spurgeonryan said:
I think all or most games should have multiple difficulties or just add your own in. Want to make the game hard? Beat it with one pokeaman or something.

I think difficulty is an integral part of fleshing out a game, and some games don't gel well with certain difficulties. Dark Souls shouldn't be easy and Kirby shouldn't be hard.

I don't think the decision should always be left up to the player.

Pokemon seems to be a game that would work as either easy or hard. Unlike Dark Souls/Kirby, it seriously works regardless of whether the game is insanely hard or not.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12/22/2016- Made a bet with Ganoncrotch that the first 6 months of 2017 will be worse than 2016. A poll will be made to determine the winner. Loser has to take a picture of them imitating their profile picture.