By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Game Over! Electoral College voted Trump.

Regardless of the many attemts of the anti-Trump movement to sway electors against Trump, the President Elect still got more than enough votes to be ratified by the Electoral College. There were still a few faithless electors but nowhere near close enough to rob Trump of his pesidency. Next stop is for the congress to meet in January 6, 2017 and count the elctoral votes. Objections to the Electoral College votes could happen during this. At the end the new President will be officially announced. Innaguration happens on January 20, 2017.

It didn't happen without incidents as expected:

Time to move on to the next devious strategy!

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 02 July 2018

Was there ever a time where the results of the Electoral College were different from that of the Election itself?

Even as someone who is no Trump supporter, this is for the best.

The victim card he and his supporters would've played would've been intolerable if he had not been denied at this stage.

Let him have his (only hopefully) 4 years and get it over with. Whatever damage is done will be the next president's problem, but the US survived Nixon and George W. Bush, it'll survive Trump unless he goes full retard, in which case his own party will probably turn on him. 

I just hope we don't die. Hopefully the real brains of the Oval office will aid Trump because he's dumb as all hell. If I can get that assurance, I'll be able to make it through these next 4 years. If Clinton had won, I'm sure tensions would have risen between US and Russia and eventually some sort of war would have been started, most likely indirectly. He's all buddy buddy with Putin, if we could increase our relations with them that would greatly decrease the chance of Nuclear war.

Also, I hope Trump gets our troops out of the middle east so we can focus on issues here at home, because God knows we have issues here. Then again, our prints are so infused over there, it'd be like taking off a scab if we leave. Being president is a tough job. Good luck Trump and please, don't build a 8 billion dollar wall, or grab any more pussies, or mock any more disabled people, or threaten to sue more people...you get it. Seriously, I hope this guy does something decent for America.

Around the Network

It's not over yet since congress has to confirm the vote ...

But if congress we're to dispute the result then the House of Representatives would opt in to elect Trump since the chamber is a republican majority and no doubt some democrats would try to defend electoral process by going against their own party to elect Trump ...

OttoniBastos said:

"Electoral College voted Trump"

As it should! He won by the rules,if people are not happy with the rules,fight for change until the next cycle.

Weren't the electors free to vote for whoever they wanted in not all but still a lot of cases? When there isn't a law about who the electors must vote for, isn't it more like tradition that they vote for the winner of the state? And tradition obviously isn't a rule, so by the rules, if the electoral college wouldn't have chosen Trump, it would have been by the rules (bad rules, in my opinion).

According to the New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/12/19/us/elections/electoral-college-results.html?_r=0), two out of 306 electors pledged to vote for Trump didn't vote for him. But of the 232 electors pledged to vote for Hillary Clinton, five didn't vote for her.

Regardless of whether you support Trump or Clinton, why would the system be set up so that an elector can apparently not vote for whom they are pledged? That just seems kinda weird to me, and defeats the purpose of the Electoral College in the first place.

OttoniBastos said:

"Electoral College voted Trump"

As it should! He won by the rules,if people are not happy with the rules,fight for change until the next cycle.

Even though he lost by 3 Million votes 20x more than Gore beat Bush by the Repos will never allow a change because they can never win the popular vote.

Zkuq said:

Weren't the electors free to vote for whoever they wanted in not all but still a lot of cases? When there isn't a law about who the electors must vote for, isn't it more like tradition that they vote for the winner of the state? And tradition obviously isn't a rule, so by the rules, if the electoral college wouldn't have chosen Trump, it would have been by the rules (bad rules, in my opinion).

They we're but a few states have a penalty for that ... 

I don't think the electoral college is meant to overturn state representation ... 

I think it was meant to make sure to uphold the consitutional requirement that every presidential candidate be at least 35 years of age and a natural born citizen ... 

If a president-elect dies before the electoral college vote then picking a dead president doesn't make much sense either so the electors are meant to steer through these corner cases ... 

Usually the electors from these states come from their candidates own party so the chance that they'll pick someone else is very low ...