By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo's stock is down 20% since Super Mario Run came out ~updated~

outlawauron said:
spemanig said:
Is it too late to say that Nintendo's focus with mobile is getting more people to interact with their IP, not to make money?

10m downloads on the first day does that phenomenally.

That was definitely the goal with Miitomo, but Super Mario Run was definitely designed to make money. They're still figuring how they want to supply their games to a new market. I don't think anyone would classify SMR as a flop, just not properly executed. Will definitely make them far more money this year than anything not named Pokemon.

Wow, Rol was right with literally the next post.

Around the Network

Really curious to see how much revenue this game actually gives Nintendo.

outlawauron said:
spemanig said:
Is it too late to say that Nintendo's focus with mobile is getting more people to interact with their IP, not to make money?

10m downloads on the first day does that phenomenally.

That was definitely the goal with Miitomo, but Super Mario Run was definitely designed to make money. They're still figuring how they want to supply their games to a new market. I don't think anyone would classify SMR as a flop, just not properly executed. Will definitely make them far more money this year than anything not named Pokemon.

“We have come to hold a stronger passion and vision for the video games console” with this decision, Iwata said. Essentially, he believes that compelling mobile games can act as a “bridge” that pushes more consumers to buy dedicated Nintendo games consoles. 

This is taken from Nintendo/DeNA announcement.

Mario Run will make money, it's developed for one of the cheapest OS'es to develop for, after all. But it's not the primary goal. Have you seen this

spemanig said:
outlawauron said:

Wow, Rol was right with literally the next post.

I don't see how I'm disagreeing with him. All of their mobile games are testing the waters to see what can work. SMR is testing the reception of a quality game with a price tag. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

LurkerJ said:
outlawauron said:

“We have come to hold a stronger passion and vision for the video games console” with this decision, Iwata said. Essentially, he believes that compelling mobile games can act as a “bridge” that pushes more consumers to buy dedicated Nintendo games consoles. 

This is taken from Nintendo/DeNA announcement.

Mario Run will make money, it's developed for one of the cheapest OS'es to develop for, after all. But it's not the primary goal. Have you seen this

I know, that was the purpose of the partnership. They're exploring that market and seeing how it reacts in conjunction with how it affects their current market.

And I know very much how Pokemon Go has effected the brand (which of course doesn't really have much to do with Nintendo's efforts). If Nintendo just wanted all of their games to only point to their handheld/console options, they would have made the game differently. I don't see how people can look at its design decisions and claim that it wasn't a for profit venture.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Investors, they thought that Mario will perform same like Pokemon GO.

Miyamotoo said:
Investors, they thought that Mario will perform same like Pokemon GO.

I think nintendo thought that too!

superchunk said:

Because it is iOS exclusive which is not the biggest market and its not a free app.

Nintendo should have put it out on Android and iOS and made it a $4.99 app or free with ads/in-game purchases.

Silly Nintendo thinking the mobile market buys games/apps similar to consoles.

It'll take off once it launches on Android.

The problem is once its released on Android most the hype will be gone.  Collectively the hype of ios and Android users both talking about the game would have had a bigger impact.  Now once it launches on Android all the ios users would have moved on to something else meaning less people talking about it and less hype surrounding it. 

its probably because of the ludicrous 'analyst' predictions of it doing like as well as Pokemon GO> which was pretty silly. Also a massive amount of devices at this point are on ANDROID, probably overall worldwide way more than IOS, so some of the predictions seemed a bit far off considering essentially half of the market can't access the game right now

regardless the stocks always seem to be super sensitive with Nintendo. too many businessmen who don't pay attention to games and are trying to make a quick buck. Nintendo releases a mobile game that does fairly well upon release, when they've never had any mobile game profit coming in before, which should be looked at as a positive but instead people freak out because they expected Pokemon GO success over and over (which is silly).

Mario Run is doing fairly well for what it is, the NES Classic is doing well (despite the major undershipments). the stocks are just bizarre sometimes

VAMatt said:
Darwinianevolution said:
So, despite winning a decent amount of change, getting all the brand advertisement the mobile market can get, and being one of the biggest paid apps right now (and still having to release on Android), the investers think this is somehow bad? What did they expect, Pokemon Go level of success? These two apps are very different. Investers sure are picky.

Stock prices are a reflection of investors' expectations for the future.  So, the day before Run came out, the bid/ask prices of Nintendo stock factored in X number of downloads of run, resulting in Y dollars of revenue and profit.  Once the game launched, investors have real data to work with, rather than guesses and estimates.  So, the bid/ask prices are adjusted accordingly.  

In other words, its not about investors thinking its bad.  It is about the results falling short of expectations.  

the problem is, who's expectations? the reality is some of the expectations are made off of whims and nothing concrete. You have random analysts writing articles claiming for no clear reasons that something Super Mario Run (which isn't free) should magically get downloaded as much as Pokemon GO

the reality is things like stocks are effected by the media and what they read and hear constantly. a number of economic journalists hyped up expected numbers on a whim to get clicks and then got investors over excited. Its that simple

Nintendo's stock has been extremely volatile lately, I think the jumps say less about Nintendo and more about the type of people currently investing in the company (i.e. people hoping to make a quick buck and looking for a Pokemon GO situation to occur again, where overnight the stock doubles or something)