By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

GhaudePhaede010 said:
spemanig said:

Handheld software competing in a home console marketplace absolutely will. It's like trying to sell iPhone games on a Mac(book).

I can give you two reasons why you are most likely incorrect:

1) It has already proven to be untrue (games like Smash, Monster Hunter, Bravery, Pokemon and others all have no problems selling on hand helds... even outselling some home console AAA multiplats). I have siad before that people literally say, "if they gave me the exact same Pokemon with HD graphics on a home console, I'm in" and you know it is true. Hand held titles are on par with or surpassing home console titles in terms of quality and, "bang for your dollar".

2) If the games are indeed hand held in price, you will be absolutely incorrect. The biggest reason I play my 3DS more than my home consoles is because Monster Hunter Generations is a home console experience that only cost me 40 bucks instead of 60 dollars. Home consoles need to catch up to hand helds as far as many gamers are concerned. You do not need to be a mathematician to see how this makes sense.

1. That's not handheld software selling in a home console marketplace.

2. I can't really help you if you truly think that $40 HD Monster Hunter will help the Switch, without having multiplats, reach 3DS numbers in the west.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
GhaudePhaede010 said:

I can give you two reasons why you are most likely incorrect:

1) It has already proven to be untrue (games like Smash, Monster Hunter, Bravery, Pokemon and others all have no problems selling on hand helds... even outselling some home console AAA multiplats). I have siad before that people literally say, "if they gave me the exact same Pokemon with HD graphics on a home console, I'm in" and you know it is true. Hand held titles are on par with or surpassing home console titles in terms of quality and, "bang for your dollar".

2) If the games are indeed hand held in price, you will be absolutely incorrect. The biggest reason I play my 3DS more than my home consoles is because Monster Hunter Generations is a home console experience that only cost me 40 bucks instead of 60 dollars. Home consoles need to catch up to hand helds as far as many gamers are concerned. You do not need to be a mathematician to see how this makes sense.

2. I can't really help you if you truly think that $40 HD Monster Hunter will help the Switch, without having multiplats, reach 3DS numbers in the west.

1) Wait what? Smash is on 3DS and Wii U. Stop it.

2) It is not about one game, I use that game as an example for me personally. You avoided my HD Pokemon argument because you know I have a point. All those titles getting HD upgrades and able to play on your television and on the go has a market, period. It has one against the rival consoles but more importantly, it has a place alongside those consoles (like 3DS has a home alongside those consoles). You are trying too hard to see it ONLY as a home console when it simply is not. It is a hybrid at best but mostly, it is a hand held. You are absolutely wrong and you know it. Hand held gaming is catching up to and will end up surpassing home console gaming. And the games are cheaper. All games sell to gamers, that is one big market. There are times when I have to decide between getting a PS4 game, a Wii U game, or a 3DS game. I cannot buy them all so... this means they are all competing for my money.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Pemalite said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Did anyone expect/predict that it would be underclocked to the level it is?

Why so much unused overhead?

Nope. Don't think anyone did expect for it to be underclocked to such an insanely low level.
With that in mind, hopefully the uproar continues and Nintendo "Up Clocks" it. ;) Worked for the Xbox One.

I think Nintendo is expecting to sell a vast majority of units and thus placed a large order with nVidia... And one way to keep costs low is to have as many functional chips as you can, which means either above average voltages (Not good for mobile) or lower clocks. Or even both.

Compared to the 3DS, the Switch will look like it skipped a couple of generations. The difference will be night and day.

So the Switch will likely appeal to mobile gamers even with it's performance being hampered... But how will it appeal to console and PC gamers with higher demands and expectations?

Thanks for answering Qs. (@bolded) That's what I said but people thought I was trolling.

I'm fine with the specs, I'm finding it rather amusing that they capped it at half. Would 2 Switchs running at full speed be roughly equal to an XB1? Upgraded dock with another Tegra possible?

edit: What's stopping them from having 2 types of games?

1. Fully unlocked Switch games, no portable mode, 50-66% XB1.

2. Underclocked Switch games with an even more underclocked portable version.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

spemanig said:
Wyrdness said:

???

Isn't that what portable gamers are buying? Handheld games are what gave 3DS its numbers :?

We're going around in circles now.

zorg1000 said:

They will, improved sequels to 3DS games will help the 3DS audience to upgrade to Switch.

Its not all thats needed but appealing to 3DS owners is certainly something that Nintendo needs to do.

Tthey won't. The 3DS sold that well because it's alternative was the Vita, a niche piece of hardware that was only known for indies and niche japanese games. Switch's alternatives are the XBO and PS4, platforms known for being the best places to play games. They will help fill the Switch's line up, but that will only help it with regards to looking better compared to the XBO and PS4. That won't translate at all to it performing comparably to the 3DS. What will is having multiplats.

That kind of stuff only matters when all else is equal. Multiplats are that "all else." When all else is equal, Nintendo having all of those handheld game sequels are a great bonus. When all else is not equal, it's a deficiency.

"I can't have Assassin's Creed, but at least I can have A Link Between Worlds" sends a horrible message when your competition is the PS4/XBO.

"I can have Assassin's Creed and A Link Between Worlds too" is a great one when your competition is the PS4/XBO.

Nintendo's not competing with Sony/MS anymore bro. They haven't really for like a decade anyway, but this is just taking it to a different extreme. 

spemanig said:
Wyrdness said:

???

Isn't that what portable gamers are buying? Handheld games are what gave 3DS its numbers :?

We're going around in circles now.

zorg1000 said:

They will, improved sequels to 3DS games will help the 3DS audience to upgrade to Switch.

Its not all thats needed but appealing to 3DS owners is certainly something that Nintendo needs to do.

Tthey won't. The 3DS sold that well because it's alternative was the Vita, a niche piece of hardware that was only known for indies and niche japanese games. Switch's alternatives are the XBO and PS4, platforms known for being the best places to play games. They will help fill the Switch's line up, but that will only help it with regards to looking better compared to the XBO and PS4. That won't translate at all to it performing comparably to the 3DS. What will is having multiplats.

That kind of stuff only matters when all else is equal. Multiplats are that "all else." When all else is equal, Nintendo having all of those handheld game sequels are a great bonus. When all else is not equal, it's a deficiency.

"I can't have Assassin's Creed, but at least I can have A Link Between Worlds" sends a horrible message when your competition is the PS4/XBO.

"I can have Assassin's Creed and A Link Between Worlds too" is a great one when your competition is the PS4/XBO.

You're one of my favorite posters on this site but.........that is one of the strangest leaps of logic I have ever read.

Improved sequels to 3DS games will not appeal to 3DS owners because PS4/XBO are better than Vita????? How can you honestly make sense out of that?

Fans of Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Bravely Default, Yokai Watch, Tomodachi Life, Shin Megami Tensei, Professor Layton, etc. will not want sequels because PS4/XBO are better than Vita.

I can have Assassin's Creed & New Super Mario or Call of Duty & Nintendo Land or FIFA & Pikmin or Batman & Wind Waker HD did very little for Wii U so I dont see why you think having multiplats is such an important aspect when the most popular Nintendo platforms of all time had few multiplatform titles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
GhaudePhaede010 said:
spemanig said:

1) Wait what? Smash is on 3DS and Wii U. Stop it.

2) It is not about one game, I use that game as an example for me personally. You avoided my HD Pokemon argument because you know I have a point. All those titles getting HD upgrades and able to play on your television and on the go has a market, period. It has one against the rival consoles but more importantly, it has a place alongside those consoles (like 3DS has a home alongside those consoles). You are trying too hard to see it ONLY as a home console when it simply is not. It is a hybrid at best but mostly, it is a hand held. You are absolutely wrong and you know it. Hand held gaming is catching up to and will end up surpassing home console gaming. And the games are cheaper. All games sell to gamers, that is one big market. There are times when I have to decide between getting a PS4 game, a Wii U game, or a 3DS game. I cannot buy them all so... this means they are all competing for my money.

1. Smash 3DS isn't handheld software selling in a home console marketplace.

2. If you think $40 HD Pokemon Sun/Moon will help the Switch, without multiplats, reach 3DS numbers, I can't really help you either.

I'm seeing it for exactly what it is, and what it's competing with, like it or not, are home consoles. That's how it's being marketed and that what people are going to expect when it comes to software. $40 Pokemon is a AAA blockbuster on a handheld device, but cheap middleware on a home console, because it's not being compared to Yokai Watch and Daganrampa anymore, it's being compared to FFXV and DQ11. Unless Pokemon on the Switch evolves to fit the scale of its new platform, it's not going to do much of anything with regards to selling software, and at that point it won't be a handheld franchise anymore and it definitely won't be $40. Pokemon isn't some inpenetrable franchise. It's sales can drop like anyone else.

Soundwave said:

Nintendo's not competing with Sony/MS anymore bro. They haven't really for like a decade anyway, but this is just taking it to a different extreme. 

They are.

I don't get it. It s a portable device, not a home console. What have you been expecting?

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

They are.

I get that you want them to, but they almost literally could not have designed any type of system that would compete with the PS4/XB1 *less* than the Switch does, lol (using any type of relatively modern tech that is). 

I mean you tell me if I told you this is what NX would be a year ago that you would believe it. I don't think so. 

You're in the denial phase now. It'll move onto acceptance/bargaining soon, don't worry. It gets better when you just stop giving a crap. You'll buy one anyone because of Mario, Zelda, and Splatoon. Or you won't. It doesn't make a huge difference.  

You are literally making fun of someone despite the fact that you're using a rumor to do so. And educated rumor? Maybe, but it's just a guestimation. Damn did you guys learn anything about Hypothesis and shiz in Science class lolololol