By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

so is this a good news or bad news

Around the Network

So... if you looked at this the correct way...

No. I better not say that.

Basically I came in here to say I was right. This is a powerful hand held. I have said it over and over...

No. I better not say that either.

I am not a Nintendo hater. I am going to buy a Switch day one! However, I called anyone that thinks of this console as a home console absolutely stupid and I stand by that to this day. There was never any indication this would be a capable home console. This is an overachieving hand held. And this is a good thing. I would rather have an overachieving 3DS than anything that seems too closely related to Wii U.

I understand there are people that are disappointed in the specs of this console but that is because they are not very smart. Actually, I would dare call them idiots. I gave a long list of reasons before about why this is not a home console and people basically slammed me over it. If you losers and idiots had the proper perspective from day one, this would probably not bother you much. But you built up and followed your own hype in spite of logic being spit right at you and now, I get to watch you all apologize and/or hide. You people were and are toxic to this community.

With all that said, nothing will stop me from buying this awesome console on day one. Get out of your feelings and get you a Switch.

I will probably get banned for this. I earned it. I love being correct.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

The Switch is very likely going to be less than 3 years ahead of the PS5. Are developers really going to make games for both a what? 8-12 TFlop system AND a 1.6 (?) TFlop system? I don't think so.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

GhaudePhaede010 said:
So... if you looked at this the correct way...

No. I better not say that.

Basically I came in here to say I was right. This is a powerful hand held. I have said it over and over...

No. I better not say that either.

I am not a Nintendo hater. I am going to buy a Switch day one! However, I called anyone that thinks of this console as a home console absolutely stupid and I stand by that to this day. There was never any indication this would be a capable home console. This is an overachieving hand held. And this is a good thing. I would rather have an overachieving 3DS than anything that seems too closely related to Wii U.

I understand there are people that are disappointed in the specs of this console but that is because they are not very smart. Actually, I would dare call them idiots. I gave a long list of reasons before about why this is not a home console and people basically slammed me over it. If you losers and idiots had the proper perspective from day one, this would probably not bother you much. But you built up and followed your own hype in spite of logic being spit right at you and now, I get to watch you all apologize and/or hide. You people were and are toxic to this community.

With all that said, nothing will stop me from buying this awesome console on day one. Get out of your feelings and get you a Switch.

I will probably get banned for this. I earned it. I love being correct.

Yeah, I said when they unveiled the Switch that Nintendo is basically abandoning the home console market. Which too me sucks. I don't really like handhelds and I've been waiting a long time for a return to really great Nintendo consoles.

So, this isn't hugely surprising...but it still makes me way less likely to get a Switch.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Shield TV has more powah.

Really curious to see the games now. Especially third party games.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

When they said "industry leading chips", I think they meant each console comes with a bag of Lays. :p

But, as I expected, this is another Nintendo console for Nintendo games only. So I can't really be let down.

JRPGfan said:
spemanig said:

No offense, but you haven't said anything that makes me think you know more than Thraktor or other Tech Gaffers, and they've been very clear about how acheivable it is to make a machine powerful enough to get most 8th gen ports without sacrificing battery life. That's all it needs.

And we still don't know how powerful it will be. DF only leaked clock speeds.

"Performance at lower clocks could be boosted by a larger GPU (ie more CUDA cores), but this seems unlikely,..."  -Eurogamer.

Their not 100% sure, but they see the most likely scenario is its a plain old standard Tegra X1, when it comes to cuda cores.

That makes the 150 Gflops / 400 Gflops the most likely outcome atm.

And others with the same info think different. Eurogamer is just speculating there, just like Thraktor.

Normchacho said:
The Switch is very likely going to be less than 3 years ahead of the PS5. Are developers really going to make games for both a what? 8-12 TFlop system AND a 1.6 (?) TFlop system? I don't think so.

Nintendo is not in that market at all anymore, just time to accept it. Switch is a way for Nintendo to continue supplying hardware for the audience that actually still buys them -- read: the handheld buying audience, while keeping a toe in the console industry mostly because they have a history there IMO. 

Traditional Nintendo consoles, even to the extent that the Wii and Wii U were, are over I think. In fact I would not be surprised because there is a such a large gap, if Nintendo eventually allows a few Nintendo IP on Sony/MS home consoles (they'll still make portable hardware) in 3-5 years time. That is just a completely different market now, iOS/Android in honesty are probably closer to where Nintendo is now and Nintendo allows games on those platforms. 

This is why I think Microsoft in particular seems to be getting cozy with Nintendo. In the future Nintendo will care more about their IP exposure for things like movie and theme park and merchandising deals rather than platform hierarchy. As long as they have one platform of their own (since no one else is making portables anyway) they're fine with that. 

Soundwave said:
Normchacho said:

Nintendo is not in that market at all anymore, just time to accept it. Switch is a way for Nintendo to continue supplying hardware for the audience that actually still buys them -- read: the handheld buying audience, while keeping a toe in the console industry mostly because they have a history there IMO. 

Traditional Nintendo consoles, even to the extent that the Wii and Wii U were, are over I think. In fact I would not be surprised because there is a such a large gap, if Nintendo eventually allows a few Nintendo IP on Sony/MS home consoles (they'll still make portable hardware) in 3-5 years time. That is just a completely different market now, iOS/Android in honesty are probably closer to where Nintendo is now and Nintendo allows games on those platforms. 

You are going way too far

Goodnightmoon said:
Soundwave said:

You are going way too far

Maybe, but I would've gotten killed on this board 3 years ago for telling you exactly what's happening to Nintendo right now. No one here would believe it. Mario on iPhone? Pokemon on iPhone? Wii U abandoning Wii U basically after 3 years and it being recalled from Best Buy, being replaced by "new" console that is basically a portable version of it using an Nvidia mobile Tegra chipset? No one would believe it. 

We only stick to these ideas of console rigidity because of the past, but Nintendo clearly is not in the past anymore, so why couldn't you have say a Metroid game on XBox eventually? 

Watch Minecraft on the Switch too if there's more Nintendo collaborations there or you see things like Microsoft allow Nintendo to sell Rare games on the N64 Mini ... something is definitely up.