By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well, I was comparing how Nintendo was launching the Switch vs how they launched the wii. They don't exactly have much control over whether or not third parties will actually support it so... I don't think it makes sense to include them as a point of comparison since that is out of Nintendo's control to a certain extent. It makes sense to include them in whether or not having them will make the Switch a success but I am comparing how similar it is to the wii's launch based on Nintendo's actions so far and what we know.

They absolutely do. It's 100%, completely, entirely in their control. Every 3rd party game Nintendo doesn't get is their fault.

I was responding to you asking if portability was enough to make the Switch succeed. I said yes, with multiplats. Then I explained why.

How so? According to Pachter, the devs told him that Nintendo is the easiest of the 3 (assuming Switch vs ps4/x1) to develop for. 

Skip to 2:30

Now of course, we don't know the context or anything that the devs said that but we know that since the wiiU, Nintendo has been pretty open to devs and since Nvidia is developing the tech and support so I am sure it is easy enough to develop for. Of course, that doesn't mean that porting the x1/ps4 games are easy but just developing for the Switch is easy. So if that is the case and lets say rockstar doesn't want to develop for the Switch cause they feel that the audience isn't there, then how is it Nintendo's fault? How would Nintendo convience rockstar that the audience is there if rockstar doesn't develop Red Dead and prove that it is/isn't?

Oh and I guess I miss understood it then.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network

I'm very happy about this news and i'm smart lol

hunter_alien said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm more intrigued in what this can do in practice versus numbers.

I mean if this thing can pull off Wii U graphics on a portable gaming device, its still a very capable machine. The new Zelda game and Skyrim reflects that.

I expect lower resolutions on portable mode which is why they can bring that speed down. 540p can look fine on a screen that small for example. Vita games looked fine pushing 480p.

The Vita was 544p. This ismply seems underwhelming a bit. I was expecting a clear 2:1 lead when compared to the WiiU, evena  bit more... Never the less software will sell it for me.

Vita could do 544p, but more visually demanding games were running 480p. Regardless, 544p is still a fairly crisp image on a small screen. Its a massive increase over the 3DS resolution.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Conina said:
haqqaton said:

Yes, but it's already severely underclocked (CPU is about half) and still uses active cooling to not throttle? It's a bit strange don't you think?

Edit: Apart from CPU being about half of the Pixel C clock the GPU is running at 80% of capacity. Is it still throttling?

Yes, the Pixel C is throtteling almost 50% if it is under stress more than a few minutes: https://gfxbench.com/device.jsp?benchmark=gfx40&os=Android&api=gl&cpu-arch=ARM&hwtype=GPU&hwname=NVIDIA(R)%20Tegra(R)%20X1&did=28156617&D=Google%20Pixel%20C

Manhattan 3.1 Benchmark first run = 19.9 fps, long-term performance = 10.7 fps

T-Rex 2.0 Benchmark first run = 58.1 fps, long-term performance = 36.4 fps

Ouch!

So in handheld mode its less than half the flops of the Wii U?
Wow I know this is Nintendo and they always disappoint but even still after all these year they still manage to shock

On the positive side battery life should be reasonably decent though

Around the Network
GProgrammer said:
Wow I know this is Nintendo and they always disappoint but even still after all these year they still manage to shock

Wii U is 176 Gflops.

Switch is 152 Gflops (supposedly) when not docked, and just under 400 Gflops when docked (about 2,3x Wii U).

So when its a handheld, its probably about equal to a Wii U (newer architecture, Mem bw,.. ect).

That in itself is pretty neat, you might be able to play games on a handheld, that look just as good as your Wii U does when its hooked up to a tv.

Just on a really small 6" screen.

JRPGfan said:
GProgrammer said:

Wii U is 176 Gflops.

Switch is 152 Gflops (supposedly) when not docked, and just under 400 Gflops when docked (about 2,3x Wii U).

So when its a handheld, its probably about equal to a Wii U (newer architecture, Mem bw,.. ect).

Are you sure? I searched and found this

wii U flops

Xbox has GPU of 1.2 TFLOPS, PS4 is best in GPU and it has 1.84 TFLOPS but Wii U has 352 GFLOPS.

or this

GProgrammer said:
JRPGfan said:

Wii U is 176 Gflops.

wii U flops

Xbox has GPU of 1.2 TFLOPS, PS4 is best in GPU and it has 1.84 TFLOPS but Wii U has 352 GFLOPS.

Which is wrong.

Or its FP16 or something.   176 x 2 = 352.

when we re talking Gflops its usually in FP32.

Neogaf is convinced the number is 176, and that everyone is just spreading miss information when they say anything but that.

I believe those neogaf guys.

Wii U is 176 Gflops. PS4 is 1840 Gflops (1.84 Teraflops) (10x performance (more since newer architecture ect)).

*edit: also Xbox is supposed 1.3 Teraflops (OG model) and 1.4 Tflops for the Slim.

GProgrammer said:
JRPGfan said:

Wii U is 176 Gflops.

wii U flops

or this

The 352 GFLOP number was always a reach by over zealous Nintendo fans. Wii U is in reality 176 GFLOPS. It looks better/equal to the XBox 360 because it has a newer architecture 2x the main RAM and 3x the embdedded RAM. 

Soundwave said:

The 352 GFLOP number was always a reach by over zealous Nintendo fans. Wii U is in reality 176 GFLOPS. It looks better/equal to the XBox 360 because it has a newer architecture 2x the main RAM and 3x the embdedded RAM. 

Perhaps but heres another page which lists all console/mobile speeds, you'ld think they would take the time to check their data