By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Boberkun said:

KLAMarine said:

Why?

I don't really know.. Maybe because Nintendo stop making Wii U games two (!) years ago for the sake of Switch?

Now would be a good time to hack your WiiU then. Hack the shit out of it, you paid for the console. Do with it as you please!

I'll likely be hacking my own in the future.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

What do you mean by "frame of reference"?

But I do think initally there will be multiplats. I doubt it will get something like Red Dead or ME:A but I think things like Cod, Asscreed and etc will be on there similarly to how the wiiU got them. After the inital ones, it will probably depend on how they sell.

I mean a point of comparison. Zelda isn't a point of comparison because you can't play Zelda on PS4, XBO, or PC. Call of Duty is because you can. Everything is relative. There's no relativity to the experience of playing Nintendo exclusives on Switch vs. everything else other than that you can't play them on everything else, which is not something the Switch does new.

What the Switch does new is play console games untethered to your TV. That's its value proposition. Without multiplats, that experience can only be compared to other systems with the same games, which are Nintendo systems. That gives portability the same value with the same audience as all Nintendo systems have had, success or failure. Without multiplats, portability adds no value that Nintendo exclusives didn't already had because the only games it effects are Nintendo exclusives.

With multiplats, it the value of portability applies to all multiplats. If you own a PS4/XBO/PC, every software purchase decision must now factor in the Switch when deciding what you want to buy your game. Each platform has a reason to buy it there. The Switch's reason is portability. If those people cared about Nintendo exclusives, they would have bought a Wii U.

Switch needs the Red Deads and the ME:As too. Maybe not all in the first year, but eventually.

Well, I was comparing how Nintendo was launching the Switch vs how they launched the wii. They don't exactly have much control over whether or not third parties will actually support it so... I don't think it makes sense to include them as a point of comparison since that is out of Nintendo's control to a certain extent. It makes sense to include them in whether or not having them will make the Switch a success but I am comparing how similar it is to the wii's launch based on Nintendo's actions so far and what we know.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Egelo said:
Soundwave said:

FF15 isn't really even that popular to begin with, that game needs the Switch more than the Switch needs it. 

FF7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III I think Square-Enix would like on the Switch and the Tegra X1 supposedly does play nice with Unreal Engine 4, so while it would require some grunt work to port games like that, it should be possible. 

Metal Gear Solid V is just about one of the most ambitious Japanese games ever and that runs fine on a PS3/360. 

FF15 is the top game in amazons best sellers.   No game needs the switch lol but Switch will need all the help it can get not to flop like the wiiu.  And given its pathetic power it will not get it.  

of dock its what 1/10th the og PS4s power, none of thsoe are coming to the switch.  

Well, going by flops only (I don't think that's right but oh well), then undocked Switch is around 7-8 times more powerful than a Vita. That's sounds impressive from the handheld perspective.

Soundwave said:
Miyamotoo said:

Maybe they are even remasters running at 1080p or some other improvements, you can't really tell from Switch video because you cant see such a difference from small video. And again, Nintendo said people don't need to assume that games look or run exactly same.

Its not only about raw power on paper, very modern Nvidia tech and architecture will have higher real world performance compared to Wii U, also its not only about different GPU power, it's also about CPU and amount of RAM, ARM A57 is much stronger and much more capable than Wii U CPU, also most likly Switch will have 3x more RAM for games compared to Wii U. Also fact is that Switch is using custom Tegra, so there's definitely some under hood improvements.

Thats not true at all, fact is that Wii U was first Nintendo HD console and they had lotsa problems with HD development, and only game that took huge amount of time is Zelda BotW but that's not nothing new for 3D Zelda. Also its seems that will much easiere to work with Switch compared to Wii U, not to mention that Switch is unified console from Nintendo so we will have games from all handhelds and home console Nintendo teams that are now united.

I'm just saying from Nintendo's POV I don't think they really care too much about higher hardware spec. 

It just makes game more expensive to produce at the end of the day, the idea that they were willing going to go running to a massively more powerful piece of kit just 4 years after starting the Wii U was probably misguided from the start.

2x the Wii U in docked mode sounds about right. 

Of Course they dont, thats why Switch in best case will have power of half XB1 power.

Well they need to make some difference compared to Wii U, they dont just continue making Wii U game with completely new platform. It depends what you mean massively more powerful, I wouldnt call around 3x more power than Wii U massively more powerful.

It more than that in any case. :)

spemanig said:

I mean a point of comparison. Zelda isn't a point of comparison because you can't play Zelda on PS4, XBO, or PC. Call of Duty is because you can. Everything is relative. There's no relativity to the experience of playing Nintendo exclusives on Switch vs. everything else other than that you can't play them on everything else, which is not something the Switch does new.

What the Switch does new is play console games untethered to your TV. That's its value proposition. Without multiplats, that experience can only be compared to other systems with the same games, which are Nintendo systems. That gives portability the same value with the same audience as all Nintendo systems have had, success or failure. Without multiplats, portability adds no value that Nintendo exclusives didn't already had because the only games it effects are Nintendo exclusives.

With multiplats, it the value of portability applies to all multiplats. If you own a PS4/XBO/PC, every software purchase decision must now factor in the Switch when deciding what you want to buy your game. Each platform has a reason to buy it there. The Switch's reason is portability. If those people cared about Nintendo exclusives, they would have bought a Wii U.

Switch needs the Red Deads and the ME:As too. Maybe not all in the first year, but eventually.

Good pr work for a disaster, quality post.

But none give a flyin F about playng COD on a handheld.  And none are going to get a severly downgraded version of games avialable on PS4/X1/PC because its "portable"

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:

But I do think initally there will be multiplats. I doubt it will get something like Red Dead or ME:A but I think things like Cod, Asscreed and etc will be on there similarly to how the wiiU got them. After the inital ones, it will probably depend on how they sell.

I don't see how all those games are going to be able to run, even in the 3 SM config they have to be able to run in portable mode some how. 

They would have to be seriously down ported in graphics to run at 230 GFLOPS or so. Even then I think 2 SM is far more likely. 

It scales almost perfect too, 384 GFLOPS (docked) is just over 2x the floating point performance of the Wii U, and 1080p is just over 2x the pixels of 720p. 12.8 GB/sec (Wii U memory bandwidth) is just about half of 25GB/sec. 2x a Wii U matches up pretty much dead on, I can see Ninendo choosing these specs because it will let them run Wii U engines in 1080p no fuss and 720p in portable mode. Pretty much perfect for their needs. 

Goodnightmoon said:

Well, going by flops only (I don't think that's right but oh well), then undocked Switch is around 7-8 times more powerful than a Vita. That's sounds impressive from the handheld perspective.

well then hopefully it maanges to surpass vita sales, if it can.  

its not a pure handheld now is it.  Its a good excuse but but its portable.  But ninty fans were acting like all the big titles are coming that switch will be comparable to PS4 or atleast X1 two home consoles.  

Hiku said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Well here's something that crossed my mind. When WiiU was getting ports, developing games on previous gen engines and porting them to PS3 and X360 was still a thing. Today it's not common as most devs are moving forward to newer engines with the 8th gen systems in mind.

That's true but it depends on how they are handling it since the ps3/360/wiiU didn't have support for all the modern engines and APIs where as the Switch does so far. Granted the power isn't there to do a direct port but at least they shouldn't have to build it from ground up to support the Switch. It will be interesting to see whether or not having support for modern tech matters however and if they just wait to see how it sells.

The 360 was able to play Rise of Tomb Raider as an example as long as many of the effects were missing so it will be interesting.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Egelo said:
Goodnightmoon said:

its not a pure handheld now is it.  Its a good excuse but but its portable.  But ninty fans were acting like all the big titles are coming that switch will be comparable to PS4 or atleast X1 two home consoles.  

Or you could compare it to y'know the Nintendo portable, the 3DS, which has sold 60+ million units instead of the Vita. 

Soundwave said:
Egelo said:

Or you could compare it to y'know the Nintendo portable, the 3DS, which has sold 60+ million units instead of the Vita. 

Switch wont even sniff half that number.