By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:
The more I look at it, the more this transition really feels like GC to Wii.

The wii was what? 2 Gamecubes taped together with new gimmick priced at around $250 with a Zelda game on both?

The Switch looks to be 2 wiiU's taped together with a new gimmick priced at around $250 with a Zelda game on both?

Now obviously, different arch, portable vs motion controls and etc but eerily similar. The question really will be, is being a portable really enough to sell like how the wii did? Specially on how the times and circumstances have changed such as launching during the mid cycle of the other consoles and mobile competition.

2017 will be an interesting year for sure.

If the Switch gets multiplats, yes. If the Switch doesn't, then there's literally no frame of reference, so I don't see how.

That's the thing about it being portable. The only reason portability is valuable is if you can play your normal games with added flexability. Portability has no value as a mass market product if everything on it is exclusive, because everything not on it is "exclusive" to everyone else. Portability becomes valuably only when multiplats are there as a frame of reference.

I can play Call of Duty glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. I can play GTA glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. I can play Destiny glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. If Switch loses that, it almost completely loses it's value proposition.

I think for Western third party support you may want to start lowering your expectations. I think several of the IP you mentioned there are not going to be available on Switch. 

Around the Network
Hiku said:
spemanig said:

Oh, I see.

Yeah, but Todd Howard or whatever his name is said that the Switch demo was the most impressive hardware demo he's ever seen. Especially since the demo was indeed the remaster, which couldn't run on Wii U - level hardware. I dunno. It just feels like there must be more to this.

Well, you can be impressed with the hardware in the sense that you can disconnect the joycons, release the kickback stand, and play a game like Skyrim on the go, can't you? Or attach it to that thing that connects to a car seat and play 4 player Mario Kart with just one device.

I would think Skyrim Remastered wouldn't be too difficult for Switch since it is running on an engine developed some time around 2008, if they tone down the new textures a bit, etc.

Maybe there is some secret sauce though. It would be nice. But I'm no longer holding my breath for that.

Reckon skyrim will just be a 360/ps3 port, won't run the enhanced version, that takes a lot of grunt.

spemanig said:
Captain_Yuri said:
The more I look at it, the more this transition really feels like GC to Wii.

The wii was what? 2 Gamecubes taped together with new gimmick priced at around $250 with a Zelda game on both?

The Switch looks to be 2 wiiU's taped together with a new gimmick priced at around $250 with a Zelda game on both?

Now obviously, different arch, portable vs motion controls and etc but eerily similar. The question really will be, is being a portable really enough to sell like how the wii did? Specially on how the times and circumstances have changed such as launching during the mid cycle of the other consoles and mobile competition.

2017 will be an interesting year for sure.

If the Switch gets multiplats, yes. If the Switch doesn't, then there's literally no frame of reference, so I don't see how.

That's the thing about it being portable. The only reason portability is valuable is if you can play your normal games with added flexability. Portability has no value as a mass market product if everything on it is exclusive, because everything not on it is "exclusive" to everyone else. Portability becomes valuably only when multiplats are there as a frame of reference.

I can play Call of Duty glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. I can play GTA glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. I can play Destiny glued to my TV on PS4/XBO/PC, or I can play it any way I want on Switch. If Switch loses that, it almost completely loses it's value proposition.

What do you mean by "frame of reference"?

But I do think initally there will be multiplats. I doubt it will get something like Red Dead or ME:A but I think things like Cod, Asscreed and etc will be on there similarly to how the wiiU got them. After the inital ones, it will probably depend on how they sell.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Soundwave said:

I'm just saying from Nintendo's POV I don't think they really care too much about higher hardware spec. 

Well then you and them can both forget FF15 ever arriving on Switch.  

Egelo said:
Soundwave said:

I'm just saying from Nintendo's POV I don't think they really care too much about higher hardware spec. 

FF15 isn't really even that popular to begin with, that game needs the Switch more than the Switch needs it. 

FF7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III I think Square-Enix would like on the Switch and the Tegra X1 supposedly does play nice with Unreal Engine 4, so while it would require some grunt work to port games like that, it should be possible. 

Metal Gear Solid V is just about one of the most ambitious Japanese games ever and that runs fine on a PS3/360. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
spemanig said:

I think for Western third party support you may want to start lowering your expectations. I think several of the IP you mentioned there are not going to be available on Switch. 

I'll wait until we have more specs than just clock speeds before I do anything.

Random_Matt said:
Hiku said:

Well, you can be impressed with the hardware in the sense that you can disconnect the joycons, release the kickback stand, and play a game like Skyrim on the go, can't you? Or attach it to that thing that connects to a car seat and play 4 player Mario Kart with just one device.

I would think Skyrim Remastered wouldn't be too difficult for Switch since it is running on an engine developed some time around 2008, if they tone down the new textures a bit, etc.

Maybe there is some secret sauce though. It would be nice. But I'm no longer holding my breath for that.

Reckon skyrim will just be a 360/ps3 port, won't run the enhanced version, that takes a lot of grunt.

The version shown on the Switch teaser was the enhanced edition, so that would be blatent fals advetizing.

Kerotan said:

Is this thing more powerful, less powerful or pretty much equal to the Wii U?

Is probably between x2-x3 times wiiu when docked and a bit better than WiiU when undocked. That's what I understood from Digital Foundry video and article anyways

Captain_Yuri said:
spemanig said:

What do you mean by "frame of reference"?

But I do think initally there will be multiplats. I doubt it will get something like Red Dead or ME:A but I think things like Cod, Asscreed and etc will be on there similarly to how the wiiU got them. After the inital ones, it will probably depend on how they sell.

I mean a point of comparison. Zelda isn't a point of comparison because you can't play Zelda on PS4, XBO, or PC. Call of Duty is because you can. Everything is relative. There's no relativity to the experience of playing Nintendo exclusives on Switch vs. everything else other than that you can't play them on everything else, which is not something the Switch does new.

What the Switch does new is play console games untethered to your TV. That's its value proposition. Without multiplats, that experience can only be compared to other systems with the same games, which are Nintendo systems. That gives portability the same value with the same audience as all Nintendo systems have had, success or failure. Without multiplats, portability adds no value that Nintendo exclusives didn't already had because the only games it effects are Nintendo exclusives.

With multiplats, it the value of portability applies to all multiplats. If you own a PS4/XBO/PC, every software purchase decision must now factor in the Switch when deciding what you want to buy your game. Each platform has a reason to buy it there. The Switch's reason is portability. If those people cared about Nintendo exclusives, they would have bought a Wii U.

Switch needs the Red Deads and the ME:As too. Maybe not all in the first year, but eventually.

Soundwave said:
Egelo said:

FF15 isn't really even that popular to begin with, that game needs the Switch more than the Switch needs it. 

FF7 Remake and Kingdom Hearts III I think Square-Enix would like on the Switch and the Tegra X1 supposedly does play nice with Unreal Engine 4, so while it would require some grunt work to port games like that, it should be possible. 

Metal Gear Solid V is just about one of the most ambitious Japanese games ever and that runs fine on a PS3/360. 

FF15 is the top game in amazons best sellers.   No game needs the switch lol but Switch will need all the help it can get not to flop like the wiiu.  And given its pathetic power it will not get it.  

of dock its what 1/10th the og PS4s power, none of thsoe are coming to the switch.