By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Next year is a big gaming year for me and you can be apart of my year too!

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of English. Is your spoken English as good as your written English? Are most people you know as good at it as you?

My spoken English is alright but not perfectly fluid, because I rarely speak it. The only person I know that has a better grasp of English is the boyfriend of my mom who actually comes from England.

That's what a decade of consuming exclusively english media will do to you.

I wish I could do that for other languages. I'm fairly good at French, but most of the time iit's harder to find information in French, and if there is it won't usually be as good as English so I'm just stuck using my native language.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

My spoken English is alright but not perfectly fluid, because I rarely speak it. The only person I know that has a better grasp of English is the boyfriend of my mom who actually comes from England.

That's what a decade of consuming exclusively english media will do to you.

I wish I could do that for other languages. I'm fairly good at French, but most of the time iit's harder to find information in French, and if there is it won't usually be as good as English so I'm just stuck using my native language.

I wish it was that easy with Japanese. English is so fucking easy to understand that you only need a handful of words and basic grammar to start learning and understanding your first sentences. With Japanese you need training and a couple of thousand words to understand at least a few words per sentence.

Let's hope in 10 years my understanding of Japanese is at least half as good as that of English.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

I wish it was that easy with Japanese. English is so fucking easy to understand that you only need a handful of words and basic grammar to start learning and understanding your first sentences. With Japanese you need training and a couple of thousand words to understand at least a few words per sentence.

Let's hope in 10 years my understanding of Japanese is at least half as good as that of English.

I'm learning Japanese too! (Afterall I have to live up to my username!). It has been difficult, I must say, but I feel so great when I make progress. There's also a whole bunch of Japanese media that can keep my interest unlike French, which I'm mainly learning as I live in Canada and it's helpful for employment.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

I'm learning Japanese too! (Afterall I have to live up to my username!). It has been difficult, I must say, but I feel so great when I make progress. There's also a whole bunch of Japanese media that can keep my interest unlike French, which I'm mainly learning as I live in Canada and it's helpful for employment.

Yeah, all languages beside English and Japanese are stupid. I'd never start learning a language that is not useful to me. So far English and Japanese are the only useful ones I know. I'm going to Japan the year after next and I'm trying a hard regiment of vocab and grammar training until then so I have no trouble there.

Once I'm done with Japanese in 40 years or so I hope to learn some Chinese to better communicate with our then supreme overlords.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

jason1637 said:
BasilZero said:
@Mods - can we permaban this guy?

Sorry, not sorry.

I second this

Thirded?? Thirded 

Around the Network
vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

Yeah, all languages beside English and Japanese are stupid. I'd never start learning a language that is not useful to me. So far English and Japanese are the only useful ones I know. I'm going to Japan the year after next and I'm trying a hard regiment of vocab and grammar training until then so I have no trouble there.

Once I'm done with Japanese in 40 years or so I hope to learn some Chinese to better communicate with our then supreme overlords.

Have you started learning Kanji yet? Many people find it difficult, but I don't think that it's so bad.

VGPolyglot said:
vivster said:

Have you started learning Kanji yet? Many people find it difficult, but I don't think that it's so bad.

I know around a thousand of them including most of their pronunciations and about 2000 vocab. It's still not nearly enough to properly understand much. And that's with hundreds of hours of anime under my belt. My grammar is at best rudimentary and my sentence construction ability is non existent. To be fair though, Japanese sentence construction is very counter intuitive for western learners.

By the end of next year I should be a lot more confident and should've started reading some Japanese websites and mangas.

vivster said:
VGPolyglot said:

I know around a thousand of them including most of their pronunciations and about 2000 vocab. It's still not nearly enough to properly understand much. And that's with hundreds of hours of anime under my belt. My grammar is at best rudimentary and my sentence construction ability is non existent. To be fair though, Japanese sentence construction is very counter intuitive for western learners.

By the end of next year I should be a lot more confident and should've started reading some Japanese websites and mangas.

Wow, so you're much further along than I am! I just started a few months ago. How long have you been learning?

Ub06 said:
Your best year of gaming will be the year your getting a VR headset. Everything in terms of gaming you had expierence to that point will look bland then.

I have a totally different VR experience than that.

Every single game but one I have tried on the VR so far has been totally meh. I cant even remember what the game was named I enjoyed but it was a platforming game in the vein of Banjoo Kazooie on the PSVR. That was fun for about 15 minutes, then it got old.

VR at this point is a total gimmick. Hope it fades in to nothingness until it's really good on the homestage, which is likely still a few years away.

Petition to change thread into official VGC language acquisition discussion thread 3000

#1 Amb-ass-ador