By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Do you think Nintendo will call Switch their 9th gen console?

Switch's console generation

8th gen 24 17.78%

9th gen 80 59.26%

None of the above. Switch... 31 22.96%

Total:135

I wouldn't call Switch next gen. It's not powerful than current gen consoles. The generation thing is for fan boys to say "Nintendo is leading the 9th gen by default".

Around the Network

There's nothing next gen about this gimmick. Hope it works out for them.

RolStoppable said:
Zkuq said:
Well, technically it is a 9th gen console, and I don't think there can be much debate about that. It's obviously not the same generation as Wii U but the next one instead.

That said, the concept of universal console generations is becoming quite useless. Right now that's mainly because of Nintendo releasing new consoles earlier than competition, but it seems Microsoft is also keen on abolishing the concept of console generations, and Scorpio seems to be their first step on that path. That leaves only Sony following traditional generations, and if it's just Sony, it doesn't even make any sense to talk about universal console generations. Basically the situation is alreay a mess and doesn't look like it's getting any easier to understand.

Uh, someone remind me why we're talking about this for the 1000th time or so?

The Dreamcast launched three years ahead of two other sixth gen consoles, so Switch isn't doing anything that hasn't already happened and been accepted in the past. I'd be surprised if the gap between Dreamcast and Xbox launch turns out to be smaller than the gap between Switch and the PS5.

Also, I wouldn't call Sony a company who is following traditional generations, because the PS4 just recently received a mid-gen upgrade. That's not a normal thing either.

As for why this topic has popped up yet again... maybe it's just to get an update on who here on VGC doesn't grasp the concept of generations?

I know it's not new. And I agree, the gap could be smaller than many expect. PS4 and XB1 have been on the market for three years now, and they were considered underpowered even when they were released. Now we're having mid-gen upgrades, but I think it still begs the question about when new consoles are coming.

I wouldn't say Sony is following traditional generations either if it weren't for the fact that Sony has made a comment which reinforces the stance that they still believe in traditional generations.

Yeah it's a 9th gen platform although being as it's a new type of device for gaming although as strange as it sounds it's more of the birth of a new line of devices for the industry so technically it is and can be seen as Gen 1 of new set of hardware type for the industry.

Why would they call it their 9th generation console when it's their 7th?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Conina said:
No, Nintendo calls it their 7th gen console: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/5910az/what_generation_console_is_the_switch/

Funny how you ended the thread in the second post and everyone ignores it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Call me crazy but I honestly don't see the Switch being much less powerful than the Xbox One or Playstation 4. People act like the Playstation 4 and Xbox One are significantly different in power but they really aren't, if I remember correctly Xbox One's issues with resolution have to do with microsoft having locked ERam usage for the first 2 years of the Xbox One's life. In reality, even if the Switch is slightly less powerful than the Xbox One, it won't be lagging behind compared to the PS4 or Xbox One, it will be almost the same.

I think it's a 9th gen console still though. Even if they're just competing with the 8th gen, it's still technically their 9th gen.

RolStoppable said:
Zkuq said:

I know it's not new. And I agree, the gap could be smaller than many expect. PS4 and XB1 have been on the market for three years now, and they were considered underpowered even when they were released. Now we're having mid-gen upgrades, but I think it still begs the question about when new consoles are coming.

I wouldn't say Sony is following traditional generations either if it weren't for the fact that Sony has made a comment which reinforces the stance that they still believe in traditional generations.

Forgot to ask why you think that Nintendo isn't following generations anymore. Surely you must have something more substantial than they are launching first.

Ah, so that was what you were wondering. I don't think Nintendo isn't following generations anymore (sort of). I think that a universal concept of generations is not very useful anymore. Nintendo follows its own release cycles, which aligns its consoles quite differently compared to those of other console manufacturers. Microsoft sounds like it's not going to even have generations anymore, and Sony seems to be following traditional generations but even that's not really clear. Personally I think talking about each manufacturer's own generations is more useful than talking about one universal concept of generations. I think the fact that we keep getting these threads is a sign that there's something wrong with the current universal generations. Generations are a nice concept because they offer a really simple model on how console lifecycles work, but they're not necessarily a very descriptive model anymore.

Also all these people saying that it's their "7th gen console because of the power" apparently are just pandering to the same tropes and misleading things they've been doing for years. Wii U was more powerful than the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, the problem was the complex architecture and the lack of marketing that made it die. Nobody really made the games on the Wii U look good because, get this, they didn't want to spend the time on a complex and dying console. It was STILL an 8th gen console, it was much more powerful than the 360 and 3, just not to the extent of Xbone or PS4.

This console will most likely be an even smaller jump than the Wii U, the Wii U went from an upgraded Gamecube(Wii) to a console better than the 360 and 3, the Switch will go from an underpowered 8th gen to a 9th gen console that is competing with 8th gen consoles. This might seem like a bad thing, but because of the law of diminishing returns AND because of the fact that it's releasing THREE YEARS before the next PS and XB...I don't see it being a bad thing honestly.

uran10 said:
JRPGfan said:
To me Power & compeititon define what generation a console belongs too.
That makes the Switch a 8th gen.

Except the actual definition of Generation would make it a 9th gen console as power and competition have absolutely nothing to do with which gen its in. Generation is, and will always be a time based thing. The successor is always in the next generation regardless of specs. IF GCN was 6th, wii is 7th, wii u is 8th and switch is 9th.

Except the topic of the thread is what Nintendo will call it,
and as per the linked reference, they are using 7th gen re: their own 7th gen.
So as it happens, people can have their own definitions of the term which function based on what matters to them.
So as it happens, your absolutist self rightelous definition FAILED, you did not cohere to the stated term of the thread topic,
so go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.