By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch to have VR: the gamepad is also a VR screen.

Tagged games:

Nintendo Switch to have VR: the gamepad is also a VR screen.

Cool idea. 79 56.43%

Bad idea. 61 43.57%

Total:140
spemanig said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Switch has cameras/sensors already. The ir pointer controls rely on ir camera/ir source. Calibrating a headset/headtracking is the same as calibrating motion plus.

One of the features of new-3DSXL is head/eye tracking.

That wouldn't work for Switch. The Switch base unit doesn't have cameras/sensors. Any of that stuff would need to be in the HMD.

The joycons have an ir camera each just like the wiimotes. It isn't advanced tech.

The sensor bar on Wii is just a couple of ir LEDs. You can use candles or christmas lights.

You could have a joycon in the corner of each room with an ir LED on the headset or ir LEDs around the room and a joycon in the headset. The dock could have a USB sensor bar for Wii games or some other method.

What's interesting, imo, is if the HMD doesn't use Switch's screen. Switch wouldn't have to be on your head then. It would give a choice of different resolution screens. Also, there's nothing to stop 2 or more Switchs powering the HMD. It would give people a reason to own more than one Switch. It would be more powerful than PSVR, portable and be 2-4 separate consoles when not VR-ing.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
spemanig said:

That wouldn't work for Switch. The Switch base unit doesn't have cameras/sensors. Any of that stuff would need to be in the HMD.

The joycons have an ir camera each just like the wiimotes. It isn't advanced tech.

The sensor bar on Wii is just a couple of ir LEDs. You can use candles or christmas lights.

You could have a joycon in the corner of each room with an ir LED on the headset or ir LEDs around the room and a joycon in the headset. The dock could have a USB sensor bar for Wii games or some other method.

What's interesting, imo, is if the HMD doesn't use Switch's screen. Switch wouldn't have to be on your head then. It would give a choice of different resolution screens. Also, there's nothing to stop 2 or more Switchs powering the HMD. It would give people a reason to own more than one Switch. It would be more powerful than PSVR, portable and be 2-4 separate consoles when not VR-ing.

I didn't say it was advance tech. I said the Switch base unit doesn't have it. A microwave isn't advance tech, and the Switch doesn't have that either.

The HMD does use the Switch's screen. That's explicitely stated in the patent. They're also not going to ask people to buy two consoles or multiple joy-cons to experience basic VR. Nothing interesting about something we know won't happen.

spemanig said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I didn't say it was advance tech. I said the Switch base unit doesn't have it. A microwave isn't advance tech, and the Switch doesn't have that either.

The HMD does use the Switch's screen. That's explicitely stated in the patent. They're also not going to ask people to buy two consoles or multiple joy-cons to experience basic VR. Nothing interesting about something we know won't happen.

I think you put to much into theese patents.

Nintendo has a lot of VR patents (from last 20 years) All of theese patens can be combined in many different ways.. and Nintendo can also use patents from other companys.

Also in an other post you statet that Switch dosent have a cam or own gyro like its a fact.. its not..

But what is a fact is that we will see different detachable accessori.. And Nintendo could easily make small.. (like 10 milimeters)  gyro/cam what ever if needed.

FromDK said:
spemanig said:

Nintendo has a lot of VR patents (from last 20 years) All of theese patens can be combined in many different ways.. and Nintendo can also use patents from other companys.

Also in an other post you statet that Switch dosent have a cam or own gyro like its a fact.. its not..

But what is a fact is that we will see different detachable accessori.. And Nintendo could easily make small.. (like 10 milimeters)  gyro/cam what ever if needed.

It is.

You know honestly, the VR helmet could even have a second Tegra processor, depending on how cheap Nintendo gets them from Nvidia. The screen resolution is still the big problem I see though at least for Revision 1 Switch.

Around the Network
spemanig said:
FromDK said:

It is.

OK.. didnt know.. Where does Nintendo say that?

I think people are over thinking this. It's likely any required sensors are built into the tablet and that to compensate for drift it still makes use of a external sensor bar but drift may also be compensated for simply by a reset position switch. Nintendo know how to do cheap motion tracking.

The original Oculus Rift developer version had a 8" screen and only 720p and still provided a good VR experience.

We don't know the resolution of the Switch for sure it could be 720p or 1080p or a resolution in between. I would prefer 1080p but 720p is not a deal breaker and there are techniques for removing the screen door effect. A soft focus can be applied to the optics section to prevent screen door and the optics can present more detail to the centre of the image rather than the outer area.

Absolutely no reason the Nintendo VR system can't be both cheap with good performance. The main limitation is the processing power of the tablet itself but it should still be enough to provide last gen games in VR which to be perfectly honest I'm happy with. Skyrim could well be one of the first VR games. I'd rather play Skyrim in VR than 4k.

Lots of people are using their 720p or lower resolution phones with google cardboard.

Looking at phones with 1080p displays on aliexpress there is a difference of £15 approx between the minimum price of a 1080p phone compared to 720p phone. Something like £40 for 720p basic quad core phone and £55 for 1080p and with these retail prices that means perhaps a $7-10 difference in factory cost prices.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-TEENO-5-5-Smartphone-HD-Smartphone-Quad-Core-Cell-Phone-Mobile-Phone/32723941616.html?spm=2114.01010108.3.1.41eI6r&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_10084_10083_10080_10082_10081_10060_10061_10062_10056_10055_10054_10059_10099_10078_10079_427_10073_10103_10102_10096_10052_10050_10051,searchweb201603_9&btsid=df6c7b9d-40d4-4d32-ac1c-baf08842e879

Hmm if the new info is correct at estimates of 150 gflops in undocked mode, not looking to good for mobile VR. That's just a bit over 8% of base ps4 power... Although on par with the WiiU (with better cpu and memory) you would still need significant downgrades to MK8 etc to make it run in high fov stereoscopic VR. Wii level games should work anyway. Mario Galaxy in VR could be a hit.

SvennoJ said:
Hmm if the new info is correct at estimates of 150 gflops in undocked mode, not looking to good for mobile VR. That's just a bit over 8% of base ps4 power... Although on par with the WiiU (with better cpu and memory) you would still need significant downgrades to MK8 etc to make it run in high fov stereoscopic VR. Wii level games should work anyway. Mario Galaxy in VR could be a hit.

A lot of VR processing is on the cpu and the Switch is about 2-2.5x the cpu power of wii u so should be ample. The whole nvidia design and architecture is far more efficient as is the arm 64bit processors. It should be capable of running anything from last gen in VR with a few compromises here and there to achieve the high frame rate. The Nvidia gpu has some clever stuff that will asist, maybe interpolated frames etc. Nintendo have cut it fine with regard portable performance but I would say it looks to be ok. There may even be a small usb power cord available that will allow Switch to perform at 400 gflops in VR mode anyway in which case ample performance to ahieve last gen in VR. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out. I had 400 gflops as my central position and that seems to be just about what we have got.

FromDK said:
spemanig said:

It is.

OK.. didnt know.. Where does Nintendo say that?

The patent looks nothing more than Google Cardboard. I don't know how you could stop anyone from using Switch with Cardboard or anything else that lets you drop a screen in.

There is a camera on Switch. There is one in each joycon along with a gyro. Probably another gyro in the tablet too. IR though not a visible/picture taking camera.

Given how Switch is rumoured to run in portable mode. I have no idea what Nintendo hopes to do with VR. If it's just to piss on Sony's chips like they did with glasses-free 3D, I'm fine with that.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!