By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 232 Protections House Republicans Think You Don't Deserve

The article can be found here.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/12/15/house-conservatives-want-trump-to-undo-regulations-on-fda-climate-uber/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_conservatives-640a-1%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.539cf2f944cb

I'll post the article below but i'd really recommend skipping the summary article and directly really the list of protections they want trump to remove.  

the full list can be found here:
https://www.scribd.com/document/334225553/Meadows-rules-and-Regs#from_embed

------------------------------------

Rep. Mark Meadows (R-N.C.), the incoming chairman of the conservative House Freedom Caucus, used a meeting with Donald Trump to deliver a list of 232 regulations that the incoming president could repeal immediately. "We felt like it was important to put together a real working document," Meadows told CNN.

The list, shared by Meadows's office, includes President George W. Bush's order restricting access to executive branch papers and Federal Aviation Administration regulations that limit overland supersonic flights. The rationale for repealing that last regulation, in its entirety: "Make Sonic Boom Again."

That's as frivolous as the document gets. The rest of it, in no particular order, recommends undoing as many of President Obama's initiatives as possible.

Climate. The Freedom Caucus suggests that Trump open up oil exploration on federally owned land, pull out of the Paris climate accords (which will produce "little, if any, environmental benefit"), kill the State Department's office on climate change and the special envoy for climate change, and basically scratch any office assigned to study it -- even one at the Securities and Exchange Commission.

Energy. Republicans suggest scrapping a slew of environmental regulations opposed by the energy industry, as well as the Renewable Fuel Standard itself -- "it is based on incredibly mistaken assumptions about domestic oil production, it gives EPA control over the fuels we use, and increases the cost of fuel."

Nutrition. The caucus advises Trump to undo Obama-era guidelines for school lunches ("burdensome and unworkable"; "industries can't comply with the standards") and supplements. For the latter, one reason is that the Obama rule "places regulations on the serving sizes of breath mints."

Net neutrality. The caucus recommends undoing the Federal Communications Commission's 2015 regulation, on the grounds that it did too much in a stroke. "At 400 pages and over 2,500 citations, the network neutrality regulations packs in a lot," the caucus writes. "The regulations reflect the lack of economic rigor."

Consumers. The caucus recommends amending the Consumer Financial Protection Act of 2010 "to require that no deference be given to the interpretation of consumer financial law by the Bureau of Consumer Financial Protection."

Smokers. One recommendation would end funding for smoke-free public housing; another would remove tobacco products from the Food and Drug Administration's purview. "The worst fear of cigar manufacturers and smokers alike has been that the FDA will impose the same onerous premarket review requirements on cigars that it currently places on cigarettes," the Republicans write.

International development. In addition to nixing the Export-Import Bank -- a conservative cause celebre -- Republicans advise scrapping the 111-year-old Overseas Private Investment Corp., created during Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. In both cases, the development organizations are characterized as too political.

Wages. Republicans advise several measures for allowing lower wages, including waiving the Davis-Bacon Act, ending the Obama administration's overtime rule (currently tied up in court), and ending tougher classification of contractors in part because it "disproportionately hurts independent contractors like Uber and Lyft." Republicans also suggest ending paid sick leave for federal contractors.

Read the list of 232 regulations

Trump has not commented on the regulations presented to him, but some -- such as getting rid of climate change as a factor in international dealmaking -- were part of his campaign.

-------
yes yes, click-bait title.  made you click it though....  people should know the details of what trump era de-regulation will mean for you and your future. 

Around the Network

In other words, they want you to be responsible for yourself. Sounds like a great idea.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
In other words, they want you to be responsible for yourself. Sounds like a great idea.

i'll assume you didn't actually read any of the 232 regulations up for revoking because there is nothing in there that would lead to that conclusion.  i don't think even 1 of those regulations is applied to a citizen,.. it is applied to how government and buisiness act.

so the real statment is,

"in other words, business don't need to be responsible for anything but profiting now."

i'll never understand why conservatives want to push things for far in the direction of "self responsibility" anyways.  i always thought the american dream was the idea that with hard work and persistance you can success in this word.  a "merit" based evaluation.  the economy conservatives keep pushing has none of that,.. children are simply benefitiaries or victims of the status they were born into.  

sounds like a horrible place to live to me.

kitler53 said:
mrstickball said:

i'll assume you didn't actually read any of the 232 regulations up for revoking because there is nothing in there that would lead to that conclusion.  i don't think even 1 of those regulations is applied to a citizen,.. it is applied to how government and buisiness act.

so the real statment is,

"in other words, business don't need to be responsible for anything but profiting now."

i'll never understand why conservatives want to push things for far in the direction of "self responsibility" anyways.  i always thought the american dream was the idea that with hard work and persistance you can success in this word.  a "merit" based evaluation.  the economy conservatives keep pushing has none of that,.. children are simply benefitiaries or victims of the status they were born into.  

Have you tried running a small business in the United States to make that argument? Or been in a situation where you've tried to make a life for yourself, and the government has done more harm than good? There's a reason that conservatives push for smaller government for both the populace and business.

You don't deserve rights you either have them or don't. If you don't like what republicans stand for don't vote on them. If you profit from their standpoints do vote for them. Republicans always was and always will be a party for rich people which can sustain themselves and live in good houses mostly quite some miles away from environmental problems. Democrats focus more on these themes and if you agree with them you vote democratic.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
mrstickball said:

and who takes responsibility for when climate change turns out to be real? I assure you the reps won't

btw conservatives want to regulate a whole lot of things, especially when it's about sexuality, reproduction or minorities, but as a white male you obviously don't give a shit

mrstickball said:
kitler53 said:

so the real statment is,

Have you tried running a small business in the United States to make that argument? Or been in a situation where you've tried to make a life for yourself, and the government has done more harm than good? There's a reason that conservatives push for smaller government for both the populace and business.

have you been born into extreem poverty in the United States to make your argument?  Or been in a situation where your only hope for a full belly is free school lunch and food stamps or your only hope for bettering yourself is public schools?  There's a reason that liberals push for social services that so that all citizens have at least some hope of opportunity.

and as lafiel stated,.. conservatives would be more than happy to regulate things like definition of marriage to ensure only their very narrow view of what it means to be an "american" can have access to the protections marriage provides a family.

the war on drugs was and continues to be a tool for discrimination.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2016/03/top-adviser-richard-nixon-admitted-war-drugs-was-policy-tool-go-after-anti-war-proteste

the obvious flaw in conservative thought is that the world is fair and merit based outcomes is how the populace is rewarded or punished.  it's a nice ideal that i wish were true but it isn't.

Qwark said:
You don't deserve rights you either have them or don't. If you don't like what republicans stand for don't vote on them. If you profit from their standpoints do vote for them. Republicans always was and always will be a party for rich people which can sustain themselves and live in good houses mostly quite some miles away from environmental problems. Democrats focus more on these themes and if you agree with them you vote democratic.

i don't and i didn't.  but the world as it is i need to take a more active role in fighting the blantant liar that is donald trump.  

when i was young republican was an idealogy that i didn't particularly agree with.  then things got more divisive as the teapartiers came in with their "comprimise is not an option" additude.  now things seem to be trending to an outright war on democracy,..  i'm very seriously scared of trump and those that are empowering him.  

america is/was such and amazing place.  i don't want to see the land of the free become the land of the free*.  

*so long as you conform to conservatives narrow definition on what it means to be an american.

kitler53 said:
mrstickball said:

have you been born into extreem poverty in the United States to make your argument?  Or been in a situation where your only hope for a full belly is free school lunch and food stamps or your only hope for bettering yourself is public schools?  There's a reason that liberals push for social services that so that all citizens have at least some hope of opportunity.

and as lafiel stated,.. conservatives would be more than happy to regulate things like definition of marriage to ensure only their very narrow view of what it means to be an "american" can have access to the protections marriage provides a family.

the war on drugs was and continues to be a tool for discrimination.

http://www.drugpolicy.org/news/2016/03/top-adviser-richard-nixon-admitted-war-drugs-was-policy-tool-go-after-anti-war-proteste

the obvious flaw in conservative thought is that the world is fair and merit based outcomes is how the populace is rewarded or punished.  it's a nice ideal that i wish were true but it isn't.

Actually, yes. I was born into poverty. I didn't go to a public school, and was homeschooled... Got a fairly good education from it.

The problem is that I've done private chairity work and helped those in need. Directly. I've found that one-size-fits-all government services typically renders worse services than liberals chime in that they're supposed to accomplish, and clamor for more services time and time again. Speaking of education - why is it that we see the most expensive public schools performing the worst in America? 

Republicans are very backwards, it's quite amusing.