By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - 232 Protections House Republicans Think You Don't Deserve

Torillian said:

Your life does not matter to statistics, just tossing that out there.  So let's see some proof, people.  

On the idea of winners and losers.  I don't think anyone is really advocating that everyone should be in the exact same situation in life, obviously some can and should do better than others.  What many of  these protections are about is how bad should the lives of those "losers" be.  Should they have healthcare in times of need, should they be able to afford to have kids, should their children have access to education in order to have a better outcome than their parents, or are all of these things that are reserved for the "winners" in life?  Does your being a winner require you to smash the losers beneath you into the dirt or can they just have a worse but still reasonably livable life than you?  These are the questions I think one should consider when besmirching those who don't accomplish as much as they do.  

People don't think like you and that is a true shame.  You acutally sound like a nice person whose doesn't have money as their sole reason for existing.  

I grew up poor but was able to survive on the assitances provided through government programs.  Now I am able to take care of myself, work and contribute back.  

These people think I should have died as a baby rather than recieve help because I should have been responsible for myself.  I had no one.  They aren't coy.  That is what they believe in their heart.  They will argue that it would be better for me to have died then for their taxes to have keep me alive.   I resent them but at the same time, I understand that they are sick and money is more important to them than life (especially when its not their own). 

There is no love of community or fellow man.  Only your ablilty to extract what you can in the form of cash as a testament to what you are worth.  We know this because the people most capable of paying taxes are the one who don't.  They allow us to finance this country in all of its spendor, we pay for their protection, for the roads, for the parks, the jails... We take care of the sick, we fund social security so that the elderly have something even if they aren't a part of the 'winning' class.  

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's survivorship bias. You believe that because you came from a not-so-well-off family and did things that lead to your success, while ignoring the fact that there are many others who have done or tried the same thing and failed. It's like you don't even think of the "losers" as human.

Income's a failsafe, not an end... 

It's not a bias. Are you implying people are dependent on the state. The opportunity arises due to striking the iron while it's hot, not because the government gave you a lot of money. 

Yes, people are dependent on the state and big businesses because the state and businesses make people reliant on them. It's like locking somebody in a room with no food and the only way they can get it is by begging or relying on the person to give it to them. Of coruse, this is not just an outrageous analogy because it also literally happens to prisoners.

VGPolyglot said:
AsGryffynn said:

Income's a failsafe, not an end... 

It's not a bias. Are you implying people are dependent on the state. The opportunity arises due to striking the iron while it's hot, not because the government gave you a lot of money. 

Yes, people are independent on the state and big businesses because the state and businesses make people reliant on them. It's like locking somebody in a room with no food and the only way they can get it is by begging or relying on the person to give it to them. Of coruse, this is not just an outrageous analogy because it also literally happens to prisoners.

Then the problem seems to be how the state operates. If you're born poor, you're not necessarily hopeless. While I think you need help, I do not think it's a good idea to give you resources to make yourself comfortable and live off them. Instead, the resources should be enough to make you want to move higher and no longer depend on them, but also to provide for your needs so you're able to pursue better education and employment. 

The government doesn't solve your problems. It gives you a hand to do so. 

For the record, it isn't different in any system...