By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No new IP has sold 25m+ on consoles for the last 10 years.

25m+ Completely New

Minecraft has managed over 100m spread across multiple platforms and generations. (360/PS3 managed 16m exc digital)

20m+ New/25m+ Reboot*

Kinect Adventures:2010

*NSMB:2009

Wii Fit:2007

*CoD4 MW: 2007 (16m, later versions sold 25m+)

2006-Wii Sports, Wii Play. 2005-Nintendogs, Brain Age

10m+ New/Peaked

Destiny:2014

Batman Arkham:2009

Just Dance:2009

Assassin's Creed:2007

Guitar Hero 3:2007(Guitar Hero:2005)

Red Dead Redemption:2010(Revolver:2004)

2007 seems to be the record holder for 1m+ new/rebooted IPs. I think I can count 26.

Will there be a new or rebooted 20-25m IP this gen? I think RDR2 might be able to hit 20m depending on available install base.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

How many games really even sell 25 million?lol
Other than CoD and GTA, the rest only got to that number due to them being mandatory purchases with hardware, like all those Wii titles.

new IP's doing 5-10 million can be considered a succes, then the next installments can build off thenm,though its true there has been no giant new ip since gta,pokemon or cod

Destiny has 25M registered users so shouldn't be far off.

most games that crack the 25m point are bundled (Mario 1, NSMB:Wii, WiiSports, Kinect Adventures).

Obviously there are 2 exceptions, CoD and GTA(both series can hit 25 mil without bundling), but you were seperating New IPs.

The Wii last gen had a handful of 25 million sellers, and it was particularly impressive because they were single platform. Mario Kart, NSMB:Wii(most were sold unbundled if I recall, but it did have some heavy bundling later on), WiiSports Resort(had motion+ with) and WiiPlay (one could argue people bought it as a 10 dollar game + controller).

But ya on a consistent basis it is CoD and GTA with the occasional Mario game breaking 25m.

My point being 25m is such a high point in order to reach it you need a great game in a weak market. GTA5 came out towards the end of the lifespan of the consoles when companies were switching gears to the new consoles, this left a softer market and it helps GTA5 is one of the best reviewed games ever. Then you have CoD which is just a beast (it does not get to 25 every year, I think BO3 will be the last to reach 25m also)

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Around the Network

Let me guess,your trying to imply consoles are dying and pc games mostly sell 25+ mill.

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Most new IP able to sell this much ended up becoming cultural phenomena, but I don't think that should be the primary measure for a game's success.

Tlou is for sure over 10 mili if u count digital....

mM
xl-klaudkil said:
Let me guess,your trying to imply consoles are dying and pc games mostly sell 25+ mill.

I'm not seeing the connection, but am I to guess you think the opposite?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Everything on the switch will hit that record.

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share