By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Software

A Nintendo OS that has a connection with My Nintendo and Nintendo Network. A miiverse I hope as well and the eshop upgraded.

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

A one man Linux distribution is largely a repackaged distribution forked from something else with 99% of all the code already written.  The Linux kenel itself is over 20 million lines of code which took nearly 14,000 programmers to write.

A wholly proprietary OS such as that on Wii U would not be a one man team.  I also highly doubt Switch OS is Linux.  You lose a lot of efficiency and security by not using an in-house OS.  nVidia is providing a custom API rather than Vulkan which is used on Shield...a custom API also suggests a custom OS.

Yeah, that's what one man distro is.

No, you're not losing security, it's quite the opposite - which is why open source is generally considered more safe than closed source. Looking at the biggest security holes in the last decade, they're almost all in the closed source.

API's don't work the way you suggest, as they're not tied to an operating system. They're just application layers your software can use the hardware directly with, instead of wasting resources to run the software inside the OS. Custom API just means the use of customised open libraries, that Nintendo has a habit of using.

Nuvendil said:

It is funny how the Switch gets lumped in with tablets for sharing a general form factor.  I mean, PS4 and Xbone share a basic form factor with PCs, especially gaming PCs.  No one calls them PCs.  Why?  Cause they feature customizations and design decisions that mean that they are not PCs and warrant their own subcategorization.  Same with Switch.

And yeah, there are zero apps that Nintendo wants on the Switch.  99.9999% of the iOS and Android market is either games that only work with cellphones in mind, time wasters no one plays on a dedicated device, or poor man's CoD/Need For Speed/Halo/etc.  None of which would have any impact in the dedicated console market.  No oje would care because why download the smartphone game timewasters to your console and why buy poor man's xyz when you could, you know, buy the real ones?

Nintendo is interested in the best-sellers, who wouldn't be, which is why we had Angry Birds on DS and Wii (and I believe a few other mobile game have made their way on consoles). The problem with the mobile marketplaces is, that pretty much nobody is making any money there. Freemium and ad-funding seems to be the trend, other than that, the marketplaces seem to be good examples of Schumpeter's creative distruction. Pretty much the Atari market in the early 80's. Nintendo isn't interested in games they (or a third party) isn't making any money with.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.