By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Software

I hope is not as bad as the Wii U. I still have nightmares of the OS in the launch. Terrible.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network
Nautilus said:
"Well, it's a tablet. Period."

sigh...

SpokenTruth said:
vivster said:

It's a tablet that has a dock and controller peripherals by accident.

You can buy a Surface with keyboard, mouse and dock, yet it still is a tablet. Weird stuff.

By accident?

Why Nintendo fans has such a hard time to accept Nintendo Switch is a tablet? A dedicated tablet optimized for gaming, but the form factor is pretty much a tablet in and out. By accident i`m sure vivster meant that the only thing, hardware wise, that differentiate the NS from other tablers are the accessories. The difference between Nintendo Switch and the crop of android tablets that eventually are going to use the same chip is the software, in both OS and game-wise.

invetedlotus123 said:
Nautilus said:

sigh...

SpokenTruth said:

By accident?

Why Nintendo fans has such a hard time to accept Nintendo Switch is a tablet? A dedicated tablet optimized for gaming, but the form factor is pretty much a tablet in and out. By accident i`m sure vivster meant that the only thing, hardware wise, that differentiate the NS from other tablers are the accessories. The difference between Nintendo Switch and the crop of android tablets that eventually are going to use the same chip is the software, in both OS and game-wise.

Its because its not a tablet.Just because it looks like a tablet dosent mean its a tablet.More and more eletronics in general are becomming more and more alike a PC.I mean, the PS4 Pro is a measure, by Sonys own account, that it was made to stop console gamers from going to PC.So should the Pro be considered a PC?

Its the same thing to the Switch.It will have apps, like Netflix and Huly, but its a device to play games.A tablet is not meant to do that, rather it is a jack of all trades, that can play games sure, but it does that poorly, and having other apps is more importantly than that, including ones that the Seitch wont have, like Word, PDF readers, a good camera, Snapchat, and so on.So yeah, its obviously not a tablet.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

SpokenTruth said:
invetedlotus123 said:

That's not what "by accident" means.  That would mean Switch was never intended to have detachedable controllers and a dock and by random chance they suddenly appeared (and worked).  So, by intention, design...not by accident.

Why do some people have a hard time accepting the Nintendo Switch is not a tablet?

Allow me to elaborate on the problem.  A tablet as we know them is a mix of form factor and function.   One alone isn't enough to be a tablet.  Something may have a tablet form factor but it needs to be functionally a tablet as well.   The reason this distinction is pushed by many Nintendo fans is because there is an equally negative push by Nintendo haters to denigrate the Switch with the connotation of "just a tablet".     In truth, it's largely semantics given that there is no formal definition of a video game console other than a device that hooks to a TV to play video games which in that sense the Switch clearly is described.

But it is a Tablet. The word "just"may be used in a denigrating manner, but also can be used to emphatize what it is when Nintendo fans say it`s not that but something else. And what`s the problem of it being a tablet? What wil differentiate it from the other tablets is the software, but hardware wise it`s a tablet, the same way every gaming console is a computer, a dedicated computer, sure, but a computer neverthless.

Nautilus said:
invetedlotus123 said:

Its because its not a tablet.Just because it looks like a tablet dosent mean its a tablet.More and more eletronics in general are becomming more and more alike a PC.I mean, the PS4 Pro is a measure, by Sonys own account, that it was made to stop console gamers from going to PC.So should the Pro be considered a PC?

Its the same thing to the Switch.It will have apps, like Netflix and Huly, but its a device to play games.A tablet is not meant to do that, rather it is a jack of all trades, that can play games sure, but it does that poorly, and having other apps is more importantly than that, including ones that the Seitch wont have, like Word, PDF readers, a good camera, Snapchat, and so on.So yeah, its obviously not a tablet.

Ps1, ps2, NES, Atari, Wii U and etc. are NOT PCS in the sense of using a multi-function OS like Windows ( the term PC these days are used almost exclusively for Windows running computers, but I`m using the term PC including WIndows, Mac, linux distros and etc.) But they are computers, dedicated computers, but computer neverthless. Just like Nintendo Switch is a computer and a tablet, it is a tablet totally dedicated for gaming, but it doesn`t turn into something that isn`t a tablet.

invetedlotus123 said:
SpokenTruth said:

That's not what "by accident" means.  That would mean Switch was never intended to have detachedable controllers and a dock and by random chance they suddenly appeared (and worked).  So, by intention, design...not by accident.

Why do some people have a hard time accepting the Nintendo Switch is not a tablet?

Allow me to elaborate on the problem.  A tablet as we know them is a mix of form factor and function.   One alone isn't enough to be a tablet.  Something may have a tablet form factor but it needs to be functionally a tablet as well.   The reason this distinction is pushed by many Nintendo fans is because there is an equally negative push by Nintendo haters to denigrate the Switch with the connotation of "just a tablet".     In truth, it's largely semantics given that there is no formal definition of a video game console other than a device that hooks to a TV to play video games which in that sense the Switch clearly is described.

But it is a Tablet. The word "just"may be used in a denigrating manner, but also can be used to emphatize what it is when Nintendo fans say it`s not that but something else. And what`s the problem of it being a tablet? What wil differentiate it from the other tablets is the software, but hardware wise it`s a tablet, the same way every gaming console is a computer, a dedicated computer, sure, but a computer neverthless.

Nautilus said:

Ps1, ps2, NES, Atari, Wii U and etc. are NOT PCS in the sense of using a multi-function OS like Windows ( the term PC these days are used almost exclusively for Windows running computers, but I`m using the term PC including WIndows, Mac, linux distros and etc.) But they are computers, dedicated computers, but computer neverthless. Just like Nintendo Switch is a computer and a tablet, it is a tablet totally dedicated for gaming, but it doesn`t turn into something that isn`t a tablet.

You answer the question yourself.Look at the bolded.

The Switch is not a tablet in the same sense that the other home consoles are not PCs in the traditional sense, because they are not a multi-function device in the same extent that a Windows, a Mac or a IPad is.The Switch WILL have other non-gaming apps in it, just like the PS4 and XOne have.But even having those apps,they are not considered a PC, and the same will be said for the Switch.Its as simple as that.

I dont know why people need to categorize things.Its a gaming machine, a gaming device.Not a tablet, not a PC.Just a console.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:
Trunkin said:
Proprietary, but if they're smart there store will have a corner for your general kind of tablet apps, and, while not being as loose as Google is, it would be nice if they won't be overly strict about who can develop for it.

so they'd have a section for games like crossy road, angry birds, etc? I honestly can see them doing that. I know angry birds was on the 3ds, but no one(except 6 year old fanatics) would ever pay $30 for it if you can play it on a tablet for free.

Yeah, exactly like that. Games like Angry Birds are out of place next to huge $60 games like Zelda or Xenoblade, or even smaller Indie titles like Steamworld Dig, and charging $30 for Angry Birds just to make it fit in is madness! There's got to be some division between the "time wasters" and the actual games, otherwise they risk it turning into what the Windows Store is right now, or worse... the Play Store! But at the same time it would be a waste not to explore all the possibilties of the tablet form-factor they've decided to go with.

invetedlotus123 said:
Nautilus said:

sigh...

SpokenTruth said:

By accident?

kind of semantics, is a PSP or Vita a tablet simply because its a screen with a few buttons?

its funny how until now that the main Nintendo console is leaning towards a mix of handheld and home gaming that everyone wants to paint it has "omg its just a tablet"

In terms of functionality, dedicated gaming, and the options (i.e. coming with a dock to connect it to a TV for main use) its nothing like a standard tablet. Again, many people will buy this device SIMPLY to play on their TV at home. Not sure if that really falls into pure 'tablet' territory as it practically is a TV streaming game device in some respect

and Nintendo will handle the OS on their own (although obviously probably taking from other architectures, Linux, whatever).

I also seriously doubt there will be any sort of mobile game section on the device, Nintendo is not looking at this as a tablet like some of you claim.

Trunkin said:
hershel_layton said:

so they'd have a section for games like crossy road, angry birds, etc? I honestly can see them doing that. I know angry birds was on the 3ds, but no one(except 6 year old fanatics) would ever pay $30 for it if you can play it on a tablet for free.

Yeah, exactly like that. Games like Angry Birds are out of place next to huge $60 games like Zelda or Xenoblade, or even smaller Indie titles like Steamworld Dig, and charging $30 for Angry Birds just to make it fit in is madness! There's got to be some division between the "time wasters" and the actual games, otherwise they risk it turning into what the Windows Store is right now, or worse... the Play Store! But at the same time it would be a waste not to explore all the possibilties of the tablet form-factor they've decided to go with.

But the whole industry is nothing but time wasters with no actual games today. If you put these time wasters like Zelda, Xenoblade and Angry Birds into the time wasters basket, what do we have left?

mountaindewslave said:
invetedlotus123 said:

kind of semantics, is a PSP or Vita a tablet simply because its a screen with a few buttons?

its funny how until now that the main Nintendo console is leaning towards a mix of handheld and home gaming that everyone wants to paint it has "omg its just a tablet"

In terms of functionality, dedicated gaming, and the options (i.e. coming with a dock to connect it to a TV for main use) its nothing like a standard tablet. Again, many people will buy this device SIMPLY to play on their TV at home. Not sure if that really falls into pure 'tablet' territory as it practically is a TV streaming game device in some respect

and Nintendo will handle the OS on their own (although obviously probably taking from other architectures, Linux, whatever).

I also seriously doubt there will be any sort of mobile game section on the device, Nintendo is not looking at this as a tablet like some of you claim.

Yes, and when you put the device into the dock, it no longer functions as tablet anyway. Besides - what Nintendo has shown us this far, it functions as home console you plug into the TV and a portable screen with detachable controllers.

The OS is Linux, NES Mini already has a Linux running on ARM in it, so you could already consider Linux as confirmed for Switch.

And those who think OS development is time consuming (when talking about Linux distros), it isn't as even a single guy can make his own distribution. Of course, in Nintendo's case it's about customising the OS to your needs, but it's nothing that could be compared to making a new Windows.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

whatever it will run, in Nvidia I trust.

mountaindewslave said:
invetedlotus123 said:

It is funny how the Switch gets lumped in with tablets for sharing a general form factor.  I mean, PS4 and Xbone share a basic form factor with PCs, especially gaming PCs.  No one calls them PCs.  Why?  Cause they feature customizations and design decisions that mean that they are not PCs and warrant their own subcategorization.  Same with Switch.

And yeah, there are zero apps that Nintendo wants on the Switch.  99.9999% of the iOS and Android market is either games that only work with cellphones in mind, time wasters no one plays on a dedicated device, or poor man's CoD/Need For Speed/Halo/etc.  None of which would have any impact in the dedicated console market.  No oje would care because why download the smartphone game timewasters to your console and why buy poor man's xyz when you could, you know, buy the real ones?