By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So much wrong with Rocket League, but I discovered ranked and now life is good

torok said:
It's a fun game, but it actually depends so much in luck. After some time, you notice that it's just a bunch of dudes trying to randomly hit a ball with random jumps while praying that it will result in an amazing goal. It's a more casual game, you have to play it just for the fun, it does not have any competitive value whatsoever.

Have you watched any competitive RL match? RL is a game of almost 0% luck. The only luck coming from 50/50 outcomes and weird bounces. Of course in the lower levels everyone is just crashing into each other. But in higher level play every action has skill and thought behind it. Pros are shooting the balls exactly how they want it and they succeed. Claiming RL is anywhere close luck based is ludicrous.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

1 and 2 have already been acknowledged. You need to play ranked.

For #3 the ball is still up in the air.

If the developer decides to include a map selector, who gets to chose? All 10 players? That's not gonna fly.

I suck at RL, but at least I have my pun game going on for me.

Play ranked. Matchmaking is good in the game, so I didn't have any problem.

Lol at the claim that RL is based on luck. Of course at low levels people just hit the ball and see if they have luck, but you can pull some awesome tricks when you know how to play properly. It's a really deep, fun game. Best MP online game this gen imho.

I can see how these things could be annoying. I'm pretty cool with 1 and 2 on your list. I will admit that sometimes I get swear-ee if a team mate robs me of a sure goal because they take low percentage shot from a desperate angle.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Wow now I started playing ranked for the first time and I'm crushing through noobs, both opponents and 'teammates', I get like 1300 points a game and the rest get like 200. So much for getting gud. Thanks for advice, I didn't even know ranked existed. I will be out of the swamp of noobs in no time.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

1) As far as I know, Rocket League has an MMR system which in theory is supposed to match people based on skill levels ( https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3nn1by/everything_you_need_to_know_about_your/ ). This is supposed to work by matching people who are new to the game with low skill or other new players. If you find yourself getting matched with a lot of new/bad players, maybe you have a low MMR? Note that the level you are doesn't matter. That is a no-life meter. The MMR determines matchmaking.

2) This is a lose/lose situation. Either you don't fill in holes when people drop midgame causing the rest of the match to be a complete shitshow, or you do fill in holes when people drop midgame which can mean sometimes you join a losing match.

m0ney said:
Wow now I started playing ranked for the first time and I'm crushing through noobs, both opponents and 'teammates', I get like 1300 points a game and the rest get like 200. So much for getting gud. Thanks for advice, I didn't even know ranked existed. I will be out of the swamp of noobs in no time.

Well for now you're ploughing through noobs. Because you're matched with people way worse than you. When you start losing regularly again you see where you are stand in the rankings. Tell me when you reach champion ;)

Also you shouldn't put any emphasis on points whatsoever. Scoring many or few points in a game means absolutely nothing. At least nothing regarding skill.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

sundin13 said:
1) As far as I know, Rocket League has an MMR system which in theory is supposed to match people based on skill levels ( https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/3nn1by/everything_you_need_to_know_about_your/ ). This is supposed to work by matching people who are new to the game with low skill or other new players. If you find yourself getting matched with a lot of new/bad players, maybe you have a low MMR? Note that the level you are doesn't matter. That is a no-life meter. The MMR determines matchmaking.

2) This is a lose/lose situation. Either you don't fill in holes when people drop midgame causing the rest of the match to be a complete shitshow, or you do fill in holes when people drop midgame which can mean sometimes you join a losing match.

They could easily mitigate the problem by implementing a forfeit button in casual and removing the leave game button.

Finally I am able to enjoy this game like it supposed, thank god I made this topic, I would be playing with *beeps* who knows for how long. They should really advertise this ranked thing better, I'm sure there's lots and lots of players like me who don't know about it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Lame, was expecting some semi legitimate complaints from Vivster but it's just a noob complaining about slightly noobier noobs.