By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Til when in your culture it`s acceptable to depend on yout parents?

My mom gave me the old, "as long as you are in school or working you can stay here," option, though I preferred to live out of my car for a while than take advantage of it. Now she lives with me, though she has her own guest house on the property, but she'd just spend her time here anyway so I guess that was just a waste of time.

I'm not sure about my girls at this point. I'm still at that blissful point where I actually like them, but my oldest is right on the pre-teen cusp so that is likely to change soon, but there is a part of me that wants them to live with me forever. Of course that is entirely predicated upon them not aging beyond this point right now, so I will cross that bridge when I come to it.

Around the Network
pray4mojo said:

Until college. At that point, you move off to the University to live. Some people stay at home during school, but it's not as highly looked upon. After college, it's absolutely horrible to live with your parents. Good luck finding a good looking woman. Friends will rag on you. It's not accepted.

I think that is maybe in the USA but here in Canada its different.

Why would I live on campus if school is like 30 mins away from home?

Like its an experience but worth going 40 k in debt over fuck no

Well, I'm 20 and live with my Dad, and it's just the two of us.
He takes care of all the bills: home, cars, phones, etc.

But I have my own job, make my own money, I pay for my own college tuition (with some Financial Aid from the Government), pay for gas on my car, and I help out with chores such as taking out the trash, doing laundry, cleaning the house, etc.

And like others are saying, it depends on life situation.
The plan for us really is that once I get my degree, to get a great job while still living at home and once I do, my Dad will officially retire with some HEFTY benefits, and he'll move to Mexico and leave the house, the cars, the phone, the payments, everything to me. And from that point on, it'll be under my name.
But that's how it is right now, it's liable to change depending on what happens.
You can never be too sure about your future and plan so specifically because, at the risk of sounding cliche, Life's Like a Box of Chocolates, You Never Know What You're Gonna Get.

pray4mojo said:

Until college. At that point, you move off to the University to live. Some people stay at home during school, but it's not as highly looked upon. After college, it's absolutely horrible to live with your parents. Good luck finding a good looking woman. Friends will rag on you. It's not accepted.

Here is quite the opposite. If you are from economical stable family and your parents have something nice to show off like a nice house or they holding some prestigious position it counts points for you both in love life and with friends. 

Bristow9091 said:
I'm here in the UK, just turned 25 last month, still live at home with my parents, I give my mam money every week to help with the bills, and do/buy most of my own stuff (Although she makes most of the meals and does my laundry)... of my closest friend circle, which includes about a dozen people, only two of them have moved out (They also live together as a couple, lol), and we're all the same age... me and my girlfriend aren't even thinking about moving into a place together (She still lives at home too) until we've got more sustainable jobs and enough money to actually do so.. it's just a normal thing here, at least in Yorkshire anyway, not sure how the other counties see it lol... one of my co-workers is 31 and she still lives at home too, lol.

I'm originally from the UK, 25, most of my friends back there are in a very similar situation. Some have moved out, most are still with parents, this is in Essex.

It's not surprising, in the UK, house prices are close to 6* income, in the South-East it's over 10*, in the London area it can reach over 20*. Renting is even worse, average rent in London is now 2/3 average salary.

Around the Network
LadyJasmine said:
pray4mojo said:

Well if you'd have gotten a proper full ride academic scholarship you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Man, I wasted so many people's money with that.

cheshirescat said:
LadyJasmine said:

Well if you'd have gotten a proper full ride academic scholarship you wouldn't have to worry about it.

Well to those who are not as lucky, I rather graduate without 100,000 in student debt lol 

I'm 25 and still live with my folks. I just graduated this summer and I'm applying fucking everywhere hoping somebody can throw me a bone. Hoping to move in 6 months after landing a decent job. I had some money saved up from financial aid and my cashier job so i've payed for my own stuff for the last few months, although they do help me out with any expensive stuff (like doctor visits, etc)

I think it's find to depend on your parents as long as you can. It can appear like childish or like you're a leech but as long as your studying/working, it seems reasonable to me.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

LadyJasmine said:
cheshirescat said:

Well to those who are not as lucky, I rather graduate without 100,000 in student debt lol 

Hey now, I worked hard for my scholarships.  I even worked hard in college, it's just that I went into philosophy and became disenchanted with academia is all.

I forgot to mention. While I moved out when I was 20 when I was 27 she moved from California to my APT for a few months when I became deathly ill and was dying. When I was stable she moved into a APT here in my town and we are about 2 miles apart when for 7 years she was a full timezone away.