By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Turn based vs action oriented: Which one is better?

Which one do you prefer?

Turn based 82 47.40%

Action oriented 61 35.26%

Neither 30 17.34%

Total:173

I like both types if the games are good. If the games give the player a party to control, usually turn based is better, but action can be very good too if it's pausable., like Planescape: Torment and Myth I and II.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

]

Why not both ?

Thanks to the mobile boom and the RPG expansion on the handheld market over the last 15 years, turn-based games are more popular now than they were in the 80s and 90s. I am not sure how power comes into that equation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

i very much prefer action oriented games. if a game is turn based i usually dont even bother looking at it. the sole exception being South Park. and thats because its South Park.

m_csquare said:
Play some western turn based game (divinity, xcom), next play some japanese action game (dmc, bayonetta), and then we can discuss abt this topic. Why would some ppl here bring some of the worst examples to demonstrate the strength of both types of gameplay (witcher, pokemon, ff)

Because the examples I gave are from the most recognizable and critically aclaimed franchises?

Man, sometimes I think you are intentionally giving bad opinions.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I like turn-based better, but that's personal preference talking. Neither is superior. Just like I like strategy games more than action games, but that doesn't mean one is better than the other.

I personally think games should offer players a choice. Do you want to play the next FF game in real time or turn based? That way fans of both sides can get their way.

Action oriented preferred, but I can do some Turn based such as Divinity original sin and wasteland 2. Turn based like pokemon though are becoming unbearable to me however.

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian