By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Airplane/Airport Horror Stories

Had a bad airport/airplane experience before?

Yes 6 46.15%

No 7 53.85%

Yes, a few times 0 0%

I've been bother, but ne... 0 0%

Total:13

Ah, the airport/airplane. While sometimes it can be a fun experience, there are also unlucky times where you get really screwed in where you're sitting, get rude staff on the plane, or late arrivals/cancelations, etc. What's you're story? I bring this up because I'm leaving on a plane next Friday. Anyway, here's one of mine:

So back in July I was arriving to my destination. The flight was 7hrs long and I had gotten on the plane at 3am, so I was very tired. I was right below first class seating and was out of the seat like everyone else, waiting for the door to open so we could leave the plane. Being tired I accidentally fell forward slightly and bumped some dude in front of me's bag. The dude was kinda short, probably in his 40/50's and had a large red nose. I said sorry but he replied with, "HEY! Have some manners!" and after that (Because I had already apologized) I didn't say anything. I thought that was the end of that... I was wrong. On the bridge-thing that connects the plane to the airport itself he kept looking back at me every few seconds and said; "You better fucking learn respect, you spoiled little shit!" and "Kids these days, what the motherfucking hell." and "I"ll fucking beat the shit out of whoever is picking a shit like you up." and these insults just felt so out of place for what I did I couldn't help but kinda smile and even laugh to which he replied with, "You think this is fucking funny? Yeah, I'll fucking teach you funny, you stupid turd!" and then he went on his merry way. 

Around the Network

I travel a lot for work. Fortunately, I have only ever had one work related flight issue. I missed a connection because of a delay getting to that airport. Caused me an extra 1.5 hour layover, nothing big.

The ONLY time I ever traveled for vacation though, that is another story. My wife and I are in the Boston area. We went to Phoenix for our vacation. We traveled out of Rhode Island because it was cheaper and our friends live close by that airport. Before we booked flights I told my wife I was willing to fly any airline except for the following: US Air, United, and American Airlines. I just didn't like their planes. So of course, we fly out on United.

We get to Phoenix, have a great week, and then it is time to get home. Our flight is connecting through Chicago to Providence. We learn when we get to the airport that our flight from Chicago to Providence is cancelled because of windy conditions. Yup. Wind. So we take the flight to Chicago on US Air now (we had missed our original United flight trying to figure out how best to get home) figuring we can fly into any of the Boston area airports, and surely O'Hare in Chicago would have plenty of flights going that way right? Nope.

We get to Chicago and learn that they have nothing going to Boston for the next three days! After a couple hours of phone calls, trips back and forth to Customer Service queues, we finally decide to take a flight to Newark New Jersey and rent a car to drive home. And to top it all off for me, the only flight available to get to Newark was American Airlines.

So I flew on ONLY the three airlines I didn't want to, had to drive 9 hours home from Newark AFTER two flight re-routes, and arrived home a full day later than anticipated.

Neodegenerate said:
I travel a lot for work. Fortunately, I have only ever had one work related flight issue. I missed a connection because of a delay getting to that airport. Caused me an extra 1.5 hour layover, nothing big.

The ONLY time I ever traveled for vacation though, that is another story. My wife and I are in the Boston area. We went to Phoenix for our vacation. We traveled out of Rhode Island because it was cheaper and our friends live close by that airport. Before we booked flights I told my wife I was willing to fly any airline except for the following: US Air, United, and American Airlines. I just didn't like their planes. So of course, we fly out on United.

We get to Phoenix, have a great week, and then it is time to get home. Our flight is connecting through Chicago to Providence. We learn when we get to the airport that our flight from Chicago to Providence is cancelled because of windy conditions. Yup. Wind. So we take the flight to Chicago on US Air now (we had missed our original United flight trying to figure out how best to get home) figuring we can fly into any of the Boston area airports, and surely O'Hare in Chicago would have plenty of flights going that way right? Nope.

We get to Chicago and learn that they have nothing going to Boston for the next three days! After a couple hours of phone calls, trips back and forth to Customer Service queues, we finally decide to take a flight to Newark New Jersey and rent a car to drive home. And to top it all off for me, the only flight available to get to Newark was American Airlines.

So I flew on ONLY the three airlines I didn't want to, had to drive 9 hours home from Newark AFTER two flight re-routes, and arrived home a full day later than anticipated.

Oh shit! That sounds awful! Oi, everything that could've gone wrong for you that day, did XD Oh man, was the car ride at least nice?

My girlfriend is a flight attendant, I've heard alot of stories lol

She was meant to be on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight and also had a colleague that died in the passenger plane that was shot out of the sky.

think-man said:

She was meant to be on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight and also had a colleague that died in the passenger plane that was shot out of the sky.

I'm sure you're very grateful she didn't get on. Why didn't she?

Around the Network
StarOcean said:
think-man said:

I'm sure you're very grateful she didn't get on. Why didn't she?

She stopped flying for 2 months after having an quite bad scare where one of the engines failed in a storm i think between Bali and Malaysia she didn't want to fly anymore then a week later the Malaysian airline went missing.  She's mostly working on the ground now and they relocated her to Amsterdam now. The colleague that died in the other plane crash started working at the same time as her and they both went through training together. 

StarOcean said:
Neodegenerate said:

Oh shit! That sounds awful! Oi, everything that could've gone wrong for you that day, did XD Oh man, was the car ride at least nice?

You mean the car ride after I had told my wife, for the first and subsequently only time ever, to "shut the fuck up" at the airport?  Oh yea, it was peachy.  :)

Neodegenerate said:
StarOcean said:

You mean the car ride after I had told my wife, for the first and subsequently only time ever, to "shut the fuck up" at the airport?  Oh yea, it was peachy.  :)

Oh jeez, more to the story than we were told then? x.x

StarOcean said:
Neodegenerate said:

Not much more.  Just two frustrated people getting on a rental car bus to get to the main airport terminal with one of them asking over and over and over and over again what we should do and if we should bother heading to the airport and the other one getting tired of it and telling her to shut the fuck up.  Which apparently, in public, is a really bad idea.  She still mentions it to this day.  This vacation was about 5 years ago now.

Neodegenerate said:
StarOcean said:

Not much more.  Just two frustrated people getting on a rental car bus to get to the main airport terminal with one of them asking over and over and over and over again what we should do and if we should bother heading to the airport and the other one getting tired of it and telling her to shut the fuck up.  Which apparently, in public, is a really bad idea.  She still mentions it to this day.  This vacation was about 5 years ago now.

Yeah, she probably won't let you live that one down