By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 2016 Will Be Remembered as a "Tipping Point" for Xbox One

The Tipping point from ? to ?.

Why? I think XBO sales this year are going to be practically the same as last year, only slightly higher.

Jan to Oct 2015 - 4.3 Million Sold

Jan to Oct 2016 - 4.2 Million Sold

Where's the tipping point?

Around the Network

Yes. The tipping point. Not just for Xbox, but for 'murica.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

celador said:
When they tipped from distant second to ever-so-slightly less distant second?

Anyway, if Xbox is doing great, it's time to share that worldwide sell-through figure

No, it's not a tipping point in the sense of the overall lead. It's a tipping point for monthly competitive sales figures in the US. If the console race started two or three months ago, they'd be winning the biggest market. That's a stark contrast to what we've seen the first two years.

Barkley said:

Where's the tipping point?

The tipping point is sales compared to PS4 in the US.

pray4mojo said:
celador said:

Anyway, if Xbox is doing great, it's time to share that worldwide sell-through figure

No, it's not a tipping point in the sense of the overall lead. It's a tipping point for monthly competitive sales figures in the US. If the console race started two or three months ago, they'd be winning the biggest market. That's a stark contrast to what we've seen the first two years.

I dont think there has been any tipping point. We know Pro was coming out, people were waiting for that, XBO had massive stock clearance sales and deals while that was happening. I think if MS continue to win months now all that has settled, then I think we can say they have turned the corner. 

It would be very easy to take a few months in isolation and then come up with a conclusion but I dont think its a good idea to do that (just look at the UK, where all of MS's leads were caught and over taken in 1 weeks worth of sales - where PS4 is still the best selling console for the year).

All that has happened so far is MS have reduced Sony's year for the lead to 200k or something like that, if NOV/Dec go MS's way (which I dont think it will, but lets say it does), and MS can make up 200k lead in those two months, then they'll be even for the year and Sony will still be 1.5m+ gap. Then it just starts all over again.

So what I am saying is lets wait and see how the year ends up, and then if MS win Nov/Dec, actually you'll need to look into 2017 for any tipping point, people holding out for the Scorpio and Sony shipping a ton of 1st party games. Now 2017 is the year that will be interesting.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Around the Network
Namiirei said:
celador said:

22 millions early september, 14 in USA.

Just saw this... thats post of the day for me.

Also means 64% of all Xbox One sales are in the US. Potentially Xbox One is slightly overtracked on VGCz.

Xone sells pretty good though especially compared to most Nintendo consoles. I can actually see the Xone breaking at least the 60 million mark. It still has a couple of years left and by the end of this year it should be very close to 30m. While the PS4 is probably coming real close to 55m.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Tipping point, rimming point, as long as they happy and the receiving end is happy.

Madword said:
pray4mojo said:

I dont think there has been any tipping point. We know Pro was coming out, people were waiting for that, XBO had massive stock clearance sales and deals while that was happening. I think if MS continue to win months now all that has settled, then I think we can say they have turned the corner. 

It would be very easy to take a few months in isolation and then come up with a conclusion but I dont think its a good idea to do that (just look at the UK, where all of MS's leads were caught and over taken in 1 weeks worth of sales - where PS4 is still the best selling console for the year).

All that has happened so far is MS have reduced Sony's year for the lead to 200k or something like that, if NOV/Dec go MS's way (which I dont think it will, but lets say it does), and MS can make up 200k lead in those two months, then they'll be even for the year and Sony will still be 1.5m+ gap. Then it just starts all over again.

So what I am saying is lets wait and see how the year ends up, and then if MS win Nov/Dec, actually you'll need to look into 2017 for any tipping point, people holding out for the Scorpio and Sony shipping a ton of 1st party games. Now 2017 is the year that will be interesting.

I was just trying to explain what I think MS was refering to. I don't have their enternal data so I don't know. But they were clearly talking about NPD monthly sales because there's no other really big change that I can think of.

The tipping point I see is how for the first time in 3 years the scales have gone from a vastly negative cloud surrounding anything Xbox to the Xbox One picking up some momentum and a generally positive attitude towards the Xbox brand. Whether your a lover or hater of Xbox there is no doubt that MS has been working hard to remove the PR disaster from 2013 and have now reached a stage where people are beginning to see the Xbox One as a solid console rather than a complete disaster it was in 2013.

The tipping point they mention in the article has nothing to do with catching or beating the PS4 the references are just throw in by the news outlets.