By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is looking interesting again for the first time in almost a decade..

agreed. Huge Nintendo fan for decades but the the Wii was a mess IMO, and not up there in terms of quality as all of their previous systems. Some great games but the motion remotes just seemed so limiting

Wii U while not really bad was not supported well and not well planned by Nintendo.

finally lately with the Switch, amusement park stuff, doing something with their retro games- Nintendo is looking to get back on track.

the Wii and DS might have made them massive amounts of money but I really didn't dig that period of time, seemed more about things like Wii Fit and Cooking Mama than old school Nintendo

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I can`t agree. There`s nothing that`s looking any more interesting about the Switch than the Wii or Wii U so far. I mean, what can the console do? What games can it play? When I know those things maybe then it will be interesting but so far all I know is that it can play Zelda and Mario games and let`s be honest 20 years ago I could have predicted that in 2017 Nintendo would have a console that plays Zelda and Mario games, that`s nothing new it`s 100% expected and isn`t going to interest me any more than any previous Nintendo console has.

So yeah, just waiting until they properly reveal it (which they should have already done by now) to see if it`s any more interesting than the Wii U was.

you're being dull on purpose if you're truly claiming "what's new" with the Switch. Conceptually it IS a new idea. There has not been a dedicated handheld device that has a dock to seamlessly go from mobile gaming to home gaming... EVER.

There have been tablets that had secondary options to try and mimic this, and combos of the Playstation and Vita to allow remote play, but never ONE device dedicated to gaming that was conceptually planned for this sole purpose.

the combo package here is what appealing. Its one device that takes down two markets. and like it or not both the home console market and handheld market are important, albeit Nintendo being the only survivor in the dedicated handheld gaming market really (Although for the majority of the history of video games Nintendo has practically been the only successfull dedicated video game handheld provider, so I find it odd everyone always hails the end of it by mobiles. Literally whether or you're talking about 1989 or 2009 Nintendo has been the only powerhouse in handheld gaming except for the PSP for one and a half gens)

I don't think its really up for debate that NIntendo appears to be going in more wide variety of directions now than ever before. Mobile (Mario Run, POkemon Go), combining their home consoles + handhelds (Switch, and this concept was suggested for years now so its quite excited given the larger library), possibly movies / TV shows in talks, amusement parks (people have been dying for this for decades), taking advantage of their nostalgia/retro roots (Nintendo Classic, again something everyone pondered why Nintendo didn't bother with)

Obviously there is a lot of interesting stuff going on at the BIg N right now. Whether ithey will turn out well or people will like them... different story. depends on execution. Exciting concepts though.

oniyide said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Given that NSMB Wii/DS and Mario Kart Wii/DS have sold 6m since 2013 (ps4/xb1 release) whereas games like Ass Creed, Uncharted, Arkham, infamous are stuggling to match last gen's sales, I'm not so sure it was the Wii/DS that was the bubble.

oustide of Assassin's Creed your statement is blatantly false as those other games are matching their last gen coutterparts

Even Assassin's Creed is still a multi-million selling franchise, it's not like it's fallen off the face of the planet like Wii Fit or Brain Training did. 

And 2D Mario and Mario Kart were huge franchises long before Wii or DS. 

oniyide said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Given that NSMB Wii/DS and Mario Kart Wii/DS have sold 6m since 2013 (ps4/xb1 release) whereas games like Ass Creed, Uncharted, Arkham, infamous are stuggling to match last gen's sales, I'm not so sure it was the Wii/DS that was the bubble.

oustide of Assassin's Creed your statement is blatantly false as those other games are matching their last gen coutterparts

Arkham City PS3/360 - 5.47+4.73      =10m

Arkham Asylum PS3/360 - 4.22+3.48 =7.5m

Arkham Knight ps4/XB1 -  3.86+1.47 =5.5m

Infamous PS3-2.93m

InfamousSS PS4-2.78m

killzone2-PS3-3.01m

killzone 3-PS3- 2.77m

killzone-PS3- 2.69

LBP PS3 - 5.82m

LBP2 PS3 - 3.4m

LBP3 PS4 - 1.88m

Hopefully Red Dead Redemption can manage 13m between XB1 and PS4. It would be nice to see some growth in the IP, maybe if they put it on Switch too.......

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Soundwave said:
oniyide said:

Even Assassin's Creed is still a multi-million selling franchise, it's not like it's fallen off the face of the planet like Wii Fit or Brain Training did. 

And 2D Mario and Mario Kart were huge franchises long before Wii or DS. 

We're talking games that are/were nearly 10 years old still doing better than the latest IPs on XB/PS.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network

Nintendo is always interesting, whether it be for positive reasons or negative ones.

Pyro as Bill said:
oniyide said:

Arkham City PS3/360 - 5.47+4.73      =10m

Arkham Asylum PS3/360 - 4.22+3.48 =7.5m

Arkham Knight ps4/XB1 -  3.86+1.47 =5.5m

Infamous PS3-2.93m

InfamousSS PS4-2.78m

killzone2-PS3-3.01m

killzone 3-PS3- 2.77m

killzone-PS3- 2.69

LBP PS3 - 5.82m

LBP2 PS3 - 3.4m

LBP3 PS4 - 1.88m

Hopefully Red Dead Redemption can manage 13m between XB1 and PS4. It would be nice to see some growth in the IP, maybe if they put it on Switch too.......

funny that you left out the Infamous that SS did better than and sure lets compare games that have been out on the market for FAR less time and are on systems with FAR smaller install bases cause that makes sense. Lets see what these games do with the same amount of time on market cause thats the only fair way to compare them, but we all know that alot of them will end up doing better. Infamous and Uncharted in particular

Well after the low point they hit over the last couple years it's not that hard to feel like happy days are just around the corner again for Nintendo. I didn't think we'd see a bigger lowpoint than the tail end of the GC cycle in 2004/2005 for Nintendo after the runaway success of the DS and Wii the following gen, but somehow they managed to blow both their feet off this time with the Wii U.

Thank goodness Nintendo ain't SEGA though... Nintendo's always been able to rebound after a disappointing console generation (or two), unlike SEGA who just made bad choice after bad.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Eh, I'd say there's rarely been a point where Nintendo has been doing something that couldn't be described as "interesting," for better or worse.

I will agree that this is the first time they've looked promising in a while, however. At least on the home market; the 3DS was an amazing console inbetween 2011 and 2014.

badgenome said:
oniyide said:

Maybe some of them didnt want to stick around and eat crow

Hey, that reminds me: is John Lucas still around?

Wow that's going WAY back heh..  I remember finding his Nintendo predictions insanely optimistic even by MY standards. 

Luckily I never made TOO outlandish statements/predictions, at least that I can recall, so the amount of crow I'D have to eat should be relatively small haha. I DID expect Wii to reach PS2 numbers and thought Wii U could be somewhat akin to the SNES in terms of success (meaning a red ocean console that was a notable downturn from its predecessor but still overall respecable numbers). Of course we know how that turned out. Though I still beleive if Nintendo stayed the course they were on in the first couple years of Wii and not massively dropped the ball like they did in terms of losing touch with the mass market, both predictions had a good chance of coming true. 

On a side note - I gotta say I recognize a lot more regulars still trucking on here from back in my day than I expected I would. 

bigtakilla said:
You've missed quite the renassaince already. If you haven't played Galaxy, Xenoblade, Fatal Frame, Bayonetta, Splatoon, Smash 4, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Mario 3D World, Skyward Sword, ect. You owe it to yourself to get a Wii U (which in turn is backwards compatible with Wii) and begin gaming good sir.

I actually do own a Wii U and have played a few of those. It's just I've played far fewer recent Nintendo releases than in the Cube/early Wii days when I snagged just about every semi-major release they churrned out. Those were my more naive and impressionable days when I let the industry hype sweep me away. I know better these days.. Maybe a handful of Nintendo titles a year at best now.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden