By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is looking interesting again for the first time in almost a decade..

Dante9 said:

Crash Team Racing, Twisted Metal? You really like to cling to the past, don't you?

Crash Team Racing is the greatest game of all time, it's worth clinging to.

Around the Network
Einsam_Delphin said:
Cloudman said:

This whole point of this discussion is to refute that just because you know how a previous game plays, that means you know how this game is, which is just incorrect. You're looking at Color Splash like it is Sticker Star, which is just an incorrect way of looking at it. This isn't Sticker Star, and you shouldn't go into it thinking like that, but as a new game. It's that reason why people passed on it, they pre-maturely assumed that instead of giving the game a fair chance. And no, it is not a drastic drop in quality. Otherwise, you are giving Sticker Star way too much credit, and Color Splash not nearly enough.

And yes, all those things can change with a new game, and this one too. Games can be improved upon. They're not just going to release the same game with nothing new done. In terms of genre, Color Splash certainly does challenge the concept of how traditional RPGs usually are, taking the usual 'beat the enemies until they die' concept and adding a sort of puzzle element to it, resulting in some very unique and interesting battles, or just battles that require some trial and error to figure out how to beat the enemies (and this is not with the thing cards either). Though for those who prefer the standard strong boss fight battle, they have some of those too. Content as well is different and quite varying. Almost each level you play through has something new and unique to it, making it feel like you really are in a large world. You start off with a green field, a beach, and caves, but then you also find yourself at a bone digging site, a creepy mansion, traveling with pirates, boarding a run away train, and so on. Game machanics admittedly don't feel much different, since the style has been a staple since Mario RPG, but there are some things that make it different and unique. So simple, yes, the things you listed can be changed when you play a game. I really didn't want to answer this because, you just need to play it to get it.

I don't agree that you can be completely informed on a game just by looking it up. Reading up on how a game plays just isn't the same as playing it yourself. You can get an idea on a game and decide if you think you'll like it, and honestly, pokemon and fire emblem don't really change all that much, as well as story not being a major point in these games. The gameplay in those is the major bulk in those, and they just different games!

Since you spoiled yourself to TTYD and you came to enjoy it, perhaps the same can't be said if you did the same with Color Splash? It may be more appealing than what you initially think, though experiencing the adventure yourself 1st hand is usually the better option.

You don't really refute my point on games and poor sales either. You claim that you base your opinion on Color Splash being a poor game because of poor sales, but then deny that with other games that also sold poorly, or generally poor games that still sold well. That just doesn't help your case. Althought sales can be a good indicator of if a game is good or not, it's not always the case. Sometimes good games... just sell poorly, and vice versa, for different reasons. People likely didn't buy the game because they thought Sticker Star, assuming it was bad as well. Though, me and the minority who played it, really know how it is.

Just because you say so doesn't change the fact that Color Splash's mechanics, gameplay style, progression, content, etc. are a lot like Sticker Stars. I'm looking at Color Splash like it's similar to Sticker Star because Color Splash is similar to Sticker Star. That's not an assumption that's just how it is, unless, again, you're implying the game will magically change when I put the disc in.

I think you're confused again, I don't mean from game to game, I mean within a singular game, there's no change from what you see to what you play. What you see is what you get. What you just described, would that suddenly change when I put the disc in? No? Then how are you gonna say previews/reviews/gameplay/articles/impressions/etc. aren't telling when it's the same type of info as you just gave? I don't need to play it to get it, certainly not just cause you say so, because yet again the game will not magically change. There'll still be pointless monotonous battles with terrible gamepad gimmick, copy-pasted toads everywhere, thing objects, surprise but not really a surprise final boss, and so ons.

"You can get an idea on a game and decide if you think you'll like it" So basically you agree with what I'm getting at here! People have gotten an idea on Color Splash and have decided accordingly, with a few buying it and most skipping it.

I already did spoil Color Splash, but it wouldn't matter eitherway. If the gameplay isn't atleast somewhat enjoyable then I can't enjoy the game at all and would rather just skim through a video walkthrough if I'm really interested in the story.

I've been saying Color Splash is bad since the second it was revealed and you know that. Sales have nothing to do with why I have my opinion, they just reinforce it is all. I also didn't deny anything, like I said, those other games are different games that have different situations and reasons around them, so comparisons without taking such factors into account do not work. It also doesn't matter how other games did, I'm only talking about Color Splash here. I'm not saying sales always represents quality, I'm saying quality is a major reason for Color Splash sales as other reasons don't fit in this scenario. Now you can spin the reasoning however you like, but the bottomline is the game isn't what people wanted and Nintendo should interpret it as such.

It seems at this point, we're just at an impasse. It's fine if you don't think you'll like, and you don't have to play it either, but don't go around saying it's a bad game as if you know, because until you play it, you won't know. You can get back to me if you ever decide to play it though.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Cloudman said:

It seems at this point, we're just at an impasse. It's fine if you don't think you'll like, and you don't have to play it either, but don't go around saying it's a bad game as if you know, because until you play it, you won't know. You can get back to me if you ever decide to play it though.

Impasse? Ha, more like you can't keep dodging the simple fact that games don't magically change, but sure I'll agree to stop this discussion, it's gone on long enough. However, I'll definitely not agree that you can't know the quality of a game until you play it, as again that could only be true if games magically changed, which they don't, so whether I play the game or not has no effect on the game's content, mechanics, etc. Therefore I will continue to say Color Splash is bad based on the game itself. If you have a problem with that, well, that's not my problem!