By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Did Sony Doom the PSVR?

Ub01 said:
malistix1985 said:
They cut the price to 334,- in some stores, didnt sell out, the VR unit has been stocked in every store that sells it, sure, some people picked it up, but here in europe, its not being sold increadibly well, like the ps4 or ps4 pro or nintendo 3ds, which all top it.

The main reason when I read forums from my country seems to be the lack of a true AAA- exclusive VR experience, the maze of cables, and the fact people prefer a PS4Pro over the VR

where are you from? Its definitly OOU in UK and Germany (one of the biggest playstation markets). Even without the 500 bucks launch bundle.

All big eletronic retailers (media markt,Saturn, Amazon) are online out of stock and if you check the local markets they are ALL out of stock as well and most dont even have demos yet.

Here in the netherlands (where I live) its available, everywhere, just go to one of our biggest online retailers bol.com and see:

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/sony-playstation-vr-ps4-vr/9200000057116081/?suggestionType=typedsearch

Here is a list of one of the price-comparison websites, only shows when its available, its quite a big list of retailers, with all the big ones present:

https://www.budgetgaming.nl/game-profile/sony+playstation+vr+bril+(psvr)_ps4.html

Like I mentioned, every store I walked in to I see a stack of 5-6 at least, so in my country its not a "huge" success, but obviously The NEtherlands isn't one of the biggest gaming-countries but it is one of the biggest % of sony in sales numbers, over 20 to 1 when compared to xbox in sales.

Twitter @CyberMalistix

Around the Network
Ub01 said:
Soundwave said:

PSVR2 on Playstation 5 is going to be something really special though I have no doubt.

I head PSVR3 on Playstation 6 will be the shit

Considering technology improves, sure why not. 

But next gen is when you will see this technology really flex its muscles. 

KLXVER said:
I think many people are waiting for real games before they decide. RE7 might convince some people. All it seems to offer so far are these games that are not much deeper than Job Simulator. Just fuck around with stuff, but in VR! Not really very appealing to me at least.

It has a good racing game and first person shooters.

KLXVER said:
I think many people are waiting for real games before they decide. RE7 might convince some people. All it seems to offer so far are these games that are not much deeper than Job Simulator. Just fuck around with stuff, but in VR! Not really very appealing to me at least.

Not true, so far I've played:

Rez Infinite with extra Area X mode, best VR game so far. played for about 20 hours for the platinum and cause it's awesome.
Thumper, 8 hour fast rythm game. (many more hours to master)
Wayward sky, 4 hour 3rd person puzzle platformer
Tethered, 6 hour RTS game
RIGS, arena shooter
Super Stardust Ultra, the full game in VR plus extra VR arena
Tumble VR, Full game in VR
DriveClub VR, Full game. 55 unique tracks to master.
Windlands, 1st person double grapling hook platformer.
Bound, the whole game in 3rd person VR
Robinson the journey, 6 hour puzzle adventure
Eagle flight, 6 hour campaign with lots of unlockables left and online competitive mode.
Here they lie, 3 hour adventure, had to play it twice, it's very good.
Pinball FX 2, awesome pinball simulator, will be spending a lot of time on this.

Then there are shorter experiences, still very replayable
Hyper void: tough as nails shmup
Holoball: Raquet ball in VR, needs a lot of space
Vev: Viva ex Vivo: Tough pac man like game in 3D, set in microscopic environments.

And yeah a couple quick experiences
Tombraider Blood ties, not that great, walk around and read clues.
Space Rift, episode 1 (mining in space is pretty cool)
Oh My, Genenesis, only 1 level, yet cute RTS. Less than $5.
Trackmania Turbo VR, 40 short tracks, cool but over in an hour. (worth the download to see native 120fps in action)

Then there's free demos and experiences, plus Eve Valkyrie and Battlezone look cool too. I'm doing my best to keep up with VR releases yet there's plenty I've had to skip already due to time and money constraints. Sure apart from DriveClub there aren't any full 16 hour campaign games yet, Resident Evil 7 should change that. But there's plenty stuff with a lot more depth than Job simulator. Unless you're only interested in run and gun games... I'm glad to be rid of all the cutscene interruptions for a change. Playing Tombraider to unlock the VR mission was a shocking reminder of why I grew so bored with AAA gaming.

Anayway, I'm enjoying it as much as I can, in case the doom sayers get their wish and VR disappears for another 20 years.

Sony didn't 'doom' the PSVR at all.

I think they've done a good job with it so far.

The $399 price point from Sony is fantastic for a VR headset, but most people aren't going to spend $100 more than a PS4 costs just to play some low budget, gimmicky VR games.

Factor in the $300 for the PS4, $60 for the camera and another $100 for the 2 move controllers you are talking about a $860 expense to play a handful of games that are overpriced and not that great (according to reviews).

I think the future of VR is with mobile devices and that's probably why the projected sales have been slashed by over 60%.

Around the Network

I don't think so, but selling the Pro in the same holiday wasn't a smart move.

GarlandSteve74 said:
Sony didn't 'doom' the PSVR at all.

I think they've done a good job with it so far.

The $399 price point from Sony is fantastic for a VR headset, but most people aren't going to spend $100 more than a PS4 costs just to play some low budget, gimmicky VR games.

Factor in the $300 for the PS4, $60 for the camera and another $100 for the 2 move controllers you are talking about a $860 expense to play a handful of games that are overpriced and not that great (according to reviews).

I think the future of VR is with mobile devices and that's probably why the projected sales have been slashed by over 60%.

Read the article. The analysts say why they have slashed the projected sales. It has nothing to do with mobile VR which is terrible.

You don't need to buy move controllers to play VR games. They can be played with a controller. Also its for people who own a PS4 which are a lot.

Most people already knew that Superdata's "forecasts" where going to be way off already, so it's not exactly a surprise.

malistix1985 said:

Here in the netherlands (where I live) its available, everywhere, just go to one of our biggest online retailers bol.com and see:

https://www.bol.com/nl/p/sony-playstation-vr-ps4-vr/9200000057116081/?suggestionType=typedsearch

Here is a list of one of the price-comparison websites, only shows when its available, its quite a big list of retailers, with all the big ones present:

https://www.budgetgaming.nl/game-profile/sony+playstation+vr+bril+(psvr)_ps4.html

Like I mentioned, every store I walked in to I see a stack of 5-6 at least, so in my country its not a "huge" success, but obviously The NEtherlands isn't one of the biggest gaming-countries but it is one of the biggest % of sony in sales numbers, over 20 to 1 when compared to xbox in sales.

Germany:

Actually 2 retailers have it in stock (this wasnt the case 2-3 days ago though). ALL other online retailers have nothing OR want 460-600 bucks.

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/4980841_-playstation-vr-sony.html

So if you really are looking for it you might be able to get one. But its definitly not in every local store so you can just pick it up as an impusle buy or anything. If your not checking multiple online retailers your also out of luck.  So this situation alone definitly custs lots of sales in germany.

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:
Most people already knew that Superdata's "forecasts" where going to be way off already, so it's not exactly a surprise.

Do you know anything about Sony's official forecasts?

They haven't said anything to the public as far as I'm aware of.

We haven't gotten a financial report after PSVR launched yet though (should be sometime in late january), so we might get some info there. But I doubt it.