By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 10 Reasons Why PS4 is AWESOME

Is the Playstation 4 awesome?

Yes. 39 48.15%

So much yes. 42 51.85%

Total:81

So you got yourself a shiny PS4 and those other console fans are feeling really smug about their console?  Who cares?  We PS4 owners have more than enough reasons to smile.  In fact, there's 10 reasons!  Here they are:

1.  Playstation Now

You missed out on the PS3 era?  You still don't have to miss out on some great classic games.  Subscribe to Playstation Now and you can catch up on some of the best titles from what many feel is the best Playstation library, ever!  https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

2.  Flash Sales

So you're sitting there, minding your own business.  You fire up your Playstation 4 and take a sip of milk when FLASH SALE OUT OF NOWHERE!  Yeah, motherfucker, you thought you were going to pay your rent on time?  Nope.  Other consoles have sales--sometime, damn good sales.  Nothing can compare to a PSN Flash Sale!  Great games that you always wanted to buy for $10, $5, $1.   And if you're a Playstation Plus member (and why the hell wouldn't you be?), you can get even better deals.  No one can resist the power of the Flash Sale.  Admit it.  You bought the entire Jurassic Park collection that you're never going to play because it was $5.  It's okay.  I feel you, bro.  I feel you.

3. Power

Now, we're talking.  The "P" in "PS4" stands for "Playstation" but the "P" in "Playstation" stands for "POWER (" (Ken Kutaragi himself told me that over lunch back in 1998.  I swear!).  A popular film amongst the kids says "60% of the time, it works every time".  Well, that's impressive.  However, when it come to the PS4 and the competition, change that percentage to over 95%.  Amongst 8th gen consoles, if you buy a third party game, the odds are pretty good that it's going to run better and look sharper on the Playstation hardware.  Maybe sometimes, the performance is identical but when it comes to which version is better?  It's almost written in stone.  And if the standard hardware wasn't powerful enough, there's a PS4 Pro version that is even more powerful!

4. Share Play

How crazy is this?  Your friend on the other side of the country can play your game from their home.  We are living in the future and only PS4 lets you do it.  All you need is a Playstation Plus subscription (which is easy) and a friend (which may be a little more challenging).  A great feature that doesn't get enough recognition or love.

5.  Playstation VR

For generations, games have been a little sharper.  A little smoother. A little prettier.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Well, the PSVR is the breath of fresh air gamers have been waiting for.  I love it.  I love it with all of m heart.  It's something screenshots, testimonials, or YouTube videos just can't convey.  Nothing compares to the feeling of going downhill in a VR rollercoaster, feeling something creep up behind you and seeing it from your peripheral vision, or walking through a VR haze.  You're not watching a game.  YOU ARE IN THE GAME.  On consoles, only Playstation 4 has this hardware and they got it right.

6.  Folders

The competition may let you pin items to your home screen but they don't let you create and name your own folders.  Want to group together all of your Batman games?  Go for it.  Want to put all of your VR games in one easy to find location?  So be it.  PS4's recent update does a great job of letting you set up your console the way you want it to be.  Speaking of customization....

7.  Dynamic Themes

Having a cool wallpaper is one thing.  A wallpaper with its own graphical effects, its own sound effects, and its own animation?  Even better!  On PS4, you can decorate your home screen and give it a little bit of life, too.  It's not a big deal but it's something I sorely miss on other consoles (except the PS3--it has them, too!).

8.  Cross Buy

Flower is on my PS4.  So is Journey.  So are other games. Why?  Because I bought them years ago on PS3.  Sony has a pretty good track record of giving us a game on all of their viable systems if you buy it on one of their systems.  That's pretty darn nice of them.  When you think of the other company that intends but no...fuck it.  I'm not even going to beat around the bush.  I'm callin you out, Nintendo!  My digital Wii games already worked on my Wii U and YOU charged me for the ability to play games already available on my Wii U going into Wii mode!  Ahem.  Got carried away, there.  Anyway, Cross Buy.  Awesome feature. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ps3-ps4-cross-buy/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3PS4XBUY

9.  Remote Play

So you got a PS4 and a PC?  You can connect to your PC and even your laptop and play your PS4 content!  Sure, the other consoles might be able to do this but PS4 also has remote play with Playstation Vita.  It's pretty great being able to play your home console on the small screen.  A worthy addition to the PS4's features.

10.  Playstaton Vue Games

What?  But d21lewis, I thought you couldn't play sales and "best games are subjective".  Well, it turns out, I was wrong.  You see, because the PS4 is so dominant in sales, it gets certain games that the competition doesn't.  It also gets exclusive DLC and early access to other content.  While you may prefer Gears of War to Uncharted, there's no denying that Batman Arkham Knight with exclusive DLC is better than Batman without DLC.  Or exclusive Japanese game (we'll say Onechanbara) is better than no game at all.  So yeah, those sales have paid off.

And there you have it.  The top ten reasons I could think of as to why the PS4 is an awesome console and worth owning over the competition.  Or, you could do what I do.  Buy EVERYTHING and worry about retirement, later.  Be proud, PS4 owners.

*edit* Some features may or may not apply depending on which hardware you own. 

Around the Network

I had to rush through this one because my phone kept ringing!

I could agree with everything, minus power, ps4 is pretty underpowered these days. Ps4 pro is good enough.

It's an underpowered plastic brick, but it has some nice exclusives. Compared to a somewhat decent PC.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Looking forward to the top 10 reasons why the WiiU is awesome

Around the Network

You better ass make "10 Reasons the Ouya is Awesome"

d21lewis said:

So you got yourself a shiny PS4 and those other console fans are feeling really smug about their console?  Who cares?  We PS4 owners have more than enough reasons to smile.  In fact, there's 10 reasons!  Here they are:

1.  Playstation Now

You missed out on the PS3 era?  You still don't have to miss out on some great classic games.  Subscribe to Playstation Now and you can catch up on some of the best titles from what many feel is the best Playstation library, ever!  https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstationnow/

2.  Flash Sales

So you're sitting there, minding your own business.  You fire up your Playstation 4 and take a sip of milk when FLASH SALE OUT OF NOWHERE!  Yeah, motherfucker, you thought you were going to pay your rent on time?  Nope.  Other consoles have sales--sometime, damn good sales.  Nothing can compare to a PSN Flash Sale!  Great games that you always wanted to buy for $10, $5, $1.   And if you're a Playstation Plus member (and why the hell wouldn't you be?), you can get even better deals.  No one can resist the power of the Flash Sale.  Admit it.  You bought the entire Jurassic Park collection that you're never going to play because it was $5.  It's okay.  I feel you, bro.  I feel you.

3. Power

Now, we're talking.  The "P" in "PS4" stands for "Playstation" but the "P" in "Playstation" stands for "POWER (" (Ken Kutaragi himself told me that over lunch back in 1998.  I swear!).  A popular film amongst the kids says "60% of the time, it works every time".  Well, that's impressive.  However, when it come to the PS4 and the competition, change that percentage to over 95%.  Amongst 8th gen consoles, if you buy a third party game, the odds are pretty good that it's going to run better and look sharper on the Playstation hardware.  Maybe sometimes, the performance is identical but when it comes to which version is better?  It's almost written in stone.  And if the standard hardware wasn't powerful enough, there's a PS4 Pro version that is even more powerful!

4. Share Play

How crazy is this?  Your friend on the other side of the country can play your game from their home.  We are living in the future and only PS4 lets you do it.  All you need is a Playstation Plus subscription (which is easy) and a friend (which may be a little more challenging).  A great feature that doesn't get enough recognition or love.

5.  Playstation VR

For generations, games have been a little sharper.  A little smoother. A little prettier.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  Well, the PSVR is the breath of fresh air gamers have been waiting for.  I love it.  I love it with all of m heart.  It's something screenshots, testimonials, or YouTube videos just can't convey.  Nothing compares to the feeling of going downhill in a VR rollercoaster, feeling something creep up behind you and seeing it from your peripheral vision, or walking through a VR haze.  You're not watching a game.  YOU ARE IN THE GAME.  On consoles, only Playstation 4 has this hardware and they got it right.

6.  Folders

The competition may let you pin items to your home screen but they don't let you create and name your own folders.  Want to group together all of your Batman games?  Go for it.  Want to put all of your VR games in one easy to find location?  So be it.  PS4's recent update does a great job of letting you set up your console the way you want it to be.  Speaking of customization....

7.  Dynamic Themes

Having a cool wallpaper is one thing.  A wallpaper with its own graphical effects, its own sound effects, and its own animation?  Even better!  On PS4, you can decorate your home screen and give it a little bit of life, too.  It's not a big deal but it's something I sorely miss on other consoles (except the PS3--it has them, too!).

8.  Cross Buy

Flower is on my PS4.  So is Journey.  So are other games. Why?  Because I bought them years ago on PS3.  Sony has a pretty good track record of giving us a game on all of their viable systems if you buy it on one of their systems.  That's pretty darn nice of them.  When you think of the other company that intends but no...fuck it.  I'm not even going to beat around the bush.  I'm callin you out, Nintendo!  My digital Wii games already worked on my Wii U and YOU charged me for the ability to play games already available on my Wii U going into Wii mode!  Ahem.  Got carried away, there.  Anyway, Cross Buy.  Awesome feature. https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/ps3-ps4-cross-buy/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PS3PS4XBUY

9.  Remote Play

So you got a PS4 and a PC?  You can connect to your PC and even your laptop and play your PS4 content!  Sure, the other consoles might be able to do this but PS4 also has remote play with Playstation Vita.  It's pretty great being able to play your home console on the small screen.  A worthy addition to the PS4's features.

10.  Playstaton Vue Games

What?  But d21lewis, I thought you couldn't play games and "best games are subjective".  Well, it turns out, I was wrong.  You see, because the PS4 is so dominant in sales, it gets certain games that the competition doesn't.  It also gets exclusive DLC and early access to other content.  While you may prefer Gears of War to Uncharted, there's no denying that Batman Arkham Knight with exclusive DLC is better than Batman without DLC.  Or exclusive Japanese game (we'll say Onechanbara) is better than no game at all.  So yeah, those sales have paid off.

And there you have it.  The top ten reasons I could think of as to why the PS4 is an awesome console and worth owning over the competition.  Or, you could do what I do.  Buy EVERYTHING and worry about retirement, later.  Be proud, PS4 owners.

This is what I did! I love my PS4 and Xbox One! and I also own a Wii U!...

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Bandorr said:
You didn't include changing the internet hard drive, or HDMI CEC support.

The ability to press a button and it instantly turn on my playstation, tv, AND change the input is amazing.

Had to narrow it down to ten.  I could have come up with more.

Bandorr said:
You didn't include changing the internet hard drive, or HDMI CEC support.

The ability to press a button and it instantly turn on my playstation, tv, AND change the input is amazing.

From your Top 10 Xbox Post:

"Several of these like "I have to manually download my save data" make it come off as INCREDIBLY lazy."

Yet the ability to turn on your PlayStation, TV and change the input isn't lazy, right? It's just convenient! Haha!

I would trade all those things for external hard drive support!