By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Least favourite/most disliked Nintendo console?

So, which was it?

The NES. 29 3.98%

The SNES. 8 1.10%

The Nintendo64. 70 9.62%

The Gamecube. 73 10.03%

The Wii. 161 22.12%

The WiiU. 207 28.43%

The Nintendo Switch. 15 2.06%

Anything else not included above. 39 5.36%

Nintendo's toys in their Love Hotels. 23 3.16%

Show me the results! 103 14.15%

Total:728

If it's fair for me to answer this considering I've only owned the Wii and Wii U, then I guess the NES. SNES level quality is as low as I'll go, I can't enjoy anything less than that. Big reason I disliked handhelds for so long. I know I always go on about gameplay > graphics, but I do have a slight threshold that must be passed first!

Around the Network
Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

Gamecube by far.

The hardware itself was superb; small, quiet, powerful, affordable, and reliable.

Unfortunately, it's first party software, which is the main draw of any Nintendo console, fell short of the mark. Franchises like 3D Mario, Zelda, and Starfox that were epic and amazing on N64 were neutered and lame on GCN.

Overall, I rank them SNES > Wii > N64 > Wii U > NES > GCN

Twilight Princess is basically Ocarina of Time on a grander scale. It's a better game, no doubt about it. The only thing Ocarina of Time did better was the intro. Wind Waker is one of the most gorgeous games of the generation and I also consider it to be better than Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask is hard to place for me, but it's one of my favorite Zelda titles.

The GC also had two great Metroid Prime titles which is a lot better than no Metroid games on the N64.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a more fleshed out RPG than Paper Mario on the N64. Bigger and better on every level.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is also considered to be vastly superior to the original.

Mario Kart: Double Dash is again much better than Mario Kart on the N64. Better racing mechanics, better battle mode and I loved the two racers per kart and the unique item weapons that came with them. It also had 4-player splitscreen running on 60FPS.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is one of the best Fire Emblem games and the N64 didn't even have any entry in the Fire Emblem series.

The GC also had great horror games like Resident Evil 4 and Eternal Darkness. I don't remember any decent horror games on the N64.

F-Zero GX was also a pretty good racer game. I don't remember an F-Zero game on the N64, but I could be wrong.

As for new Nintendo IPs we had Pikmin and Animal Crossing on the GC versus Super Smash Bros. on the N64.

The GC also had decent third party support like Tony Hawk Pro Skater, SSX, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil remakes, Metal Gear Solid remake, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron, etc.

N64's third party support was crap. And Star Fox isn't a great franchise anyway, who cares if the GC ones weren't as good as the one on the N64.

Yeah, GC is like 5 times better than N64, way more games, way more variety, way more masterpieces and the games have aged 10 times better.

Jumpin said:
Pavolink said:

PM The Thousand Year Door

Metroid Prime 1 & 2

Resident Evil 4 was the original version and superior one

REmake

RE Zero

Zelda Ocarina of Time: Master Quest

The Wind Waker & Twilight Princess

FF Crystal Chronicles

Super Smash Bros Melee

Super Mario Sunshine

Mario Kart Double Dash

Luigi's Mansion

It's library is easily well above the Wii U.

Nope, the GameCube port of RE4 had content cut that was available on the PS2 and Wii releases, plus the controls were junky.

The Mario Kart and 3D Mario games were the worst in the home console franchises, by far. The other games I couldn't care less about. Some of those games, like Crystal Chronicles were among the worst games I played that generation.

Since you are counting ports, a bunch of those games were also on Wii U (Metroid Prime 1-3, and every Zelda), plus a significantly better iteration of Mario Kart, and Xenoblade Chronicles X which is much more interesting than anything else on GameCube. 

The PS2 port of RE4 looked worse, controlled literally the exact and Seperate Ways was freaking awful

Delicious, delicious games.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

It had more casual games that core, that is true. So it was a system for mainly casuals. 

Edit: the system was clearly aimed at the casual demograph, just by adverts and the games being pushed and sold.

It was aimed at everyone. Nobody would have put core games on it if it was only markeded as a system for casuals. It was easy and cheap to make games for, so it got alot of shovelware. Its not like every casual game did great and every core game did bad.

Casual games did better than core games as a whole. The sales werent even close to each other. If it wasnt made by Ninty it didnt sell alot. 

oniyide said:
KLXVER said:

It was aimed at everyone. Nobody would have put core games on it if it was only markeded as a system for casuals. It was easy and cheap to make games for, so it got alot of shovelware. Its not like every casual game did great and every core game did bad.

Casual games did better than core games as a whole. The sales werent even close to each other. If it wasnt made by Ninty it didnt sell alot. 

Well thats been true since the N64 though...

Around the Network

Fave SNES as I believe it the best console ever made (not my personal no 1 fave however)
Least liked Nintendo system but I don't hate it is Game Boy. I just find it hard going back to B&W games.

Alkibiádēs said:
curl-6 said:

Gamecube by far.

The hardware itself was superb; small, quiet, powerful, affordable, and reliable.

Unfortunately, it's first party software, which is the main draw of any Nintendo console, fell short of the mark. Franchises like 3D Mario, Zelda, and Starfox that were epic and amazing on N64 were neutered and lame on GCN.

Overall, I rank them SNES > Wii > N64 > Wii U > NES > GCN

Twilight Princess is basically Ocarina of Time on a grander scale. It's a better game, no doubt about it. The only thing Ocarina of Time did better was the intro. Wind Waker is one of the most gorgeous games of the generation and I also consider it to be better than Ocarina of Time. Majora's Mask is hard to place for me, but it's one of my favorite Zelda titles. I'm not sure if TP is a better game than Ocarina, but it wasn't so groundbreaking. Wind Waker, although I find it great and with a nice art style, is not better than Ocarina (few dungeons and worse pace in my opinion)

The GC also had two great Metroid Prime titles which is a lot better than no Metroid games on the N64. 100% true

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is a more fleshed out RPG than Paper Mario on the N64. Bigger and better on every level. OK, but it's easier to build over the foundations of previous games.

Super Smash Bros. Melee is also considered to be vastly superior to the original. Same as above.

Mario Kart: Double Dash is again much better than Mario Kart on the N64. Better racing mechanics, better battle mode and I loved the two racers per kart and the unique item weapons that came with them. It also had 4-player splitscreen running on 60FPS. Never played MKDD (although I didn't love MK64 either). Anyway, GC doesn't have DKR, that is the best N64 kart racing game.

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is one of the best Fire Emblem games and the N64 didn't even have any entry in the Fire Emblem series. OK

The GC also had great horror games like Resident Evil 4 and Eternal Darkness. I don't remember any decent horror games on the N64. It had Resident Evil 2 and Shadowman.

F-Zero GX was also a pretty good racer game. I don't remember an F-Zero game on the N64, but I could be wrong. It had F-Zero X, graphically wasn't a beast but, if I remember right, it ran smoothly at 60fps. It had a lot of futuristic (and not futuristic) racing games, though (Wipeout, Beetle Adventure Racing, Wave Race, Extreme-G, World Driver Championship...)

As for new Nintendo IPs we had Pikmin and Animal Crossing on the GC versus Super Smash Bros. on the N64. Actually Animal Crossing first appeared on N64 (only for Japan, though). N64 had many other new IPS: Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Wave race, 1080 Snowboarding, Paper Mario, Sin&Punishment...)

The GC also had decent third party support like Tony Hawk Pro Skater, SSX, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil remakes, Metal Gear Solid remake, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron, etc.

N64's third party support was crap. And Star Fox isn't a great franchise anyway, who cares if the GC ones weren't as good as the one on the N64.  Third party support wasn't crap, the problem is that it came from SNES support that was awesome. N64 had Resident Evil 2, Rayman 2, Rogue Squadron, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Mortal Kombat, Turok, Duke Nukem, Doom, Quake, Forsaken, Shadowman, Ogre Battle, Goemon, Bomberman... Many of them as exclusives.

Also N64 had Rare support. GC doesn't have anything like Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, plus Banjo Kazooie, DKR, Blast Corps, Conker...

Hmm, I agree with some points, but with others not....

Wii U just because I haven't invested time with it. And virtually no RPGs

NINTENDO

nintendo forever . . .

theARTIST0017 said:
Wii U just because I haven't invested time with it. And virtually no RPGs

Not to contradict you or anything, but I could think of five: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Child of Light, Tokio Mirage Sessions, Deus Ex Director's Cut and Mass Effect 3. Admittely, the last two are ports.

KLXVER said:
oniyide said:

Well thats been true since the N64 though...

and thats part of the problem, why even put your game on a system knowing it would flop? especially when there are systems where that wont happen?