By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo set to sell 700M consoles.

Simple math. Nintendo can only cross the 50% of total consoles sold if they take greater than 50% market share from today forward (i.e. outsell PS4, Xbone, and Vita). Otherwise their market share of historical sales will shrink. So no, they won't cross 50%.

Lifetime Sales Prediction - 6/29/2013
Wii U - 38 million
XBOX One - 88 million
Playstation 4 - 145 million

Around the Network

Well, they won't do it this year. I'll congratulate them when they do.

Not to be a downer or anything, but if you take out the handheld sales , Sony really raised the bar for what home consoles should sell. 100 million or bust(jk). If it doesn't then it sells over 80 million. 3 home consoles outselling all 6 from Nintendo. Just saying.

Can't wait for 700.

catofellow said:
Simple math. Nintendo can only cross the 50% of total consoles sold if they take greater than 50% market share from today forward (i.e. outsell PS4, Xbone, and Vita). Otherwise their market share of historical sales will shrink. So no, they won't cross 50%.

Theoretically, if Switch got off to an amazing start, and 3DS has a solid 201u, they could hit 50% for a short period, maybe around 1 year after release.  This would require amazing sales though, and poor sales of most of their competition.  So, I basically agree that it ain't gonna happen.

Hell of an achievement, here's to another 30 years...is what I would say if Nintendo would give me Super Mario RPG: LotST sequel already! See, this is exactly why...[Insert Nintendo rant]

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

That's a cool milestone. No, they won't pass 50% of total hardware sales, but it's still cool.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

Around the Network

It's not 800m but it'll do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Where's Virtual Boy on the list.. that sold at least 120 million, right?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Awesome milestone! I don't think they'll pass 50%, at least anytime soon, but still awesome nonetheless!

Ka-pi96 said:
Thought this was referring to total of all consoles rather than just a Switch prediction. Then I saw who the OP was and wasn`t so sure

The most Nintendo has sold in a year is 53M consoles. Even with a 10yr lifespan that would only be 530M.  

I suppose if the NES-mini Pro was to do 17M/yr that could make up the other 170M. Hmmmmm.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

VAMatt said:
catofellow said:

Theoretically, if Switch got off to an amazing start, and 3DS has a solid 201u, they could hit 50% for a short period, maybe around 1 year after release.  This would require amazing sales though, and poor sales of most of their competition.  So, I basically agree that it ain't gonna happen.

A year like 2007 or 2008 would do it.

2007 - 46m (N) 20m (S) 8m (MS)

2008 - 53m (N) 24m (S) 11m (MS)

The competition can still do good numbers, Nintendo has to do better.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!