By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My thoughts on the rumored "Pokemon Stars"

I doubt it alot aswell. Pokemon mainline titles are huge undertakings for game freak. I don't see them having the resources to develop one plus an HD title on top of it.

Would love for it to be true, but i just don't believe it. Pokemon stars may be a thing, but i doubt its a mainline title. Probably another spin-off.

Around the Network

Lol at the dual screen being an issue. You know Gamefreak are actual game developers, not a bunch of monkeys smashing away at a keyboard.

There's absolutely nothing about the design that can't be translated to a single screen. If you believe there is, please elaborate?

Also people using this rigid history of what Nintendo and gamefreak do and do not do, as if Nintendo hasnt just released a pokemon game for mobiles lol. By the same logic you'd assume Mario Galaxy 2 would never have been released and Breath of Wild would be the exclusive Zelda game every Nintendo platform has received.

The logic is this simple.
1. You do not have insiders
2. Eurogamer does and a 100% accuracy rating this year.

It's actually a very logical thing for them to do and fits in line them actually making smart financial decisions lately. 

Yerm said:

So just to get everyone on the same page, "Pokemon Stars", the rumored 3rd game to Sun and Moon has been recently "leaked" as a future Switch title. Basically its just Sun and Moon on the Switch with HD graphics. So now here is my take on that rumor---

There is no way it will ever happen. Ever.

So lets go through this step by step. this is a supposed "leaked" pokemon title. Remind me of the last time anything pokemon related got leaked. Sure, stuff got datamined, but never leaked (okay we had the concept art from Sun and Moon but that was literally the only time). so the chances of anything pokemon related being leaked is rather slim.

next, the rumor specifically says it will be a launch title for the Switch. there are 2 things wrong with this. First, Sun and Moon jus released and that would mean a 5 month gap between games, which has never happened. We have never seen anything shorter than a year. next, that would mean Gen VII would span across two console generations which has also never happened. they even decided to put Black and White 2 out on the DS over a year after the 3DS was released. it just wouldnt make sense for them.

next, we have the nature of the Switch. its a single screen console. Sun and Moon was designed for 2 screens. end of story.

next, there is the conditions of its supposed release. that being that its a launch title. GameFreak does not operate on the same page as Nintendo. they would not coordinate to have a launch title on the Switch. remeber how B2W2 was released on the DS over a year after the 3DS? well the original Black and white was released on the DS only ONE MONTH before the 3DS. they simply do not coordinate with Nintendo's hardware. they just work with what they have at the time. 

in conclusion, Pokemon Stars is simply not real. when there does come to be a 3rd Gen VII game, it will be on the 3DS and launch on no specific occasion

You have very weak or not true arguments for thinking that Pokemon Stars is not happening for Switch.

I will go step buy step just like you:

-1st Pokemon do leak, almost everything about Sun and Moon Pokemon was leaked, and if you consider that Pokemon Stars is 3rd game to Sun and Moon its not hard to believe that also leaked.

-Rumour never said it will be launch title, it says it was aimed to be summer title but it's moved for holiday title. Also we had before one Pokemon game spread on different hardware, Yellow was to Red & Blue, Platinum was to Diamond & Pearl and so on.

-Fact that Switch is single screen console its not problem at all, rumour saying team was working on Pokemon 3DS versions and separate Switch version in same time.

-Again, rumour never said it will be launch title, it says it was aimed to be summer title but it's moved for holiday title.

On mind with all these, fact that rumours article was made buy Eurogamer and confirmed by Emily and Laura (who have great record about Switch rumours for now) ,and that actually hole rumour sounds very believable, we can say that Pokemon Stars for Switch sound very real.

The game title seems somewhat redundant to me. Because the sun already is a star. Why not Pokemon Black Hole? That would be badass!

Yeah, I got nothing to say about the topic. I can see Nintendo pushing Pokemon on switch though, if only to make sure it doesn't flop as hard as the Wii U.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network

I was definitely shocked when I heard about this, but both Nintendo and Gamefreak have shown they're not afraid to break tradition, so I can definitely see this happening. Plus unlike the 3DS, the Switch isn't backwards compatible so it makes sense that they'd get a mainline Pokemon game on it asap.

It didn't say it would be a launch title and the Pokemon Company did confirm a few months back that the is a Pokemon game headed to Switch.

Hiku said:
Nem said:
I doubt it alot aswell. Pokemon mainline titles are huge undertakings for game freak. I don't see them having the resources to develop one plus an HD title on top of it.

Would love for it to be true, but i just don't believe it. Pokemon stars may be a thing, but i doubt its a mainline title. Probably another spin-off.

It's not a new entry though. It's a third version of Sun and Moon. Most of the work is already done.
As for HD, they likely already have high res textures in the 3DS games. Even back during DS, developers would make the textures much higher res than the system allowed, and then scale them down. That's why things like this are possible with emulators:

This is what the game looks like natively on DS:

The reason the emulators can do that is because the high res assets were already in the game.

In other words, it shouldn't be a big undertaking by Gamefreak to have this game ready by 2017.

That was a cinematic, not a game. But, it's too much of a leap for me to believe gamefreak will make a home console pokemon. Theres no precedent to it. So, i need more than just a rumor.

I'm pretty sold that this game is legit. It is the most surefire way for Nintendo to get a large portion of the 3DS audience on the Switch. The Wii U crowd is already coming along, but the large 3DS base is what Ninty needs to lute over quickly to be sucessful.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Porting from 3ds to switch is easy, very feasible to be a launch tittle. I find all arguments of OP complete nonsense.