By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If Zelda:BotW delay is going to happen, Wii U version will be cancelled.

No, I do not believe the Wii U version will be cancelled or will even be a digital-only release. Nintendo has promised outright on many occasions that the Wii U would get a mainline Zelda starting with E3's as early as I believe 2012. Most people bought a Wii U at least partially because they thought that they would be eventually getting this game.

This isn't like Nintendo deferring Pikmin 4 to the Switch after some rumors hinted that it would be on Wii U, Zelda BotW is the most highly anticipated Nintendo game of the generation and it has been confirmed numerous times that it would be coming to the Wii U. It's already kind of bad that Wii U owners have to share this game with the Switch at all but cancelling the Wii U version altogether would be the biggest "screw you" Nintendo has ever given its fans. Nintendo can't afford to lose fans right now because keeping loyal fans like you is basically the only commercially successful thing that Nintendo has managed to do in the last 4 years.

Don't worry, I will stage my reputation (for whatever it is worth) on the prediction that BotW will at least get a limited physical release on the Wii U. Even Nintendo is not that stupid.

Around the Network

That would cause a meltdown so big it would make no man's sky look like a storm in a tea cup.

Illusion said:
No, I do not believe the Wii U version will be cancelled or will even be a digital-only release. Nintendo has promised outright on many occasions that the Wii U would get a mainline Zelda starting with E3's as early as I believe 2012. 

Yeah but they also promised it would come out in 2015. Then in 2016...

With all the respect this is stupid thread. I am just going to tag this and wait.

Illusion said:
This isn't like Nintendo deferring Pikmin 4 to the Switch after some rumors hinted that it would be on Wii U, Zelda BotW is the most highly anticipated Nintendo game of the generation and it has been confirmed numerous times that it would be coming to the Wii U. It's already kind of bad that Wii U owners have to share this game with the Switch at all but cancelling the Wii U version altogether would be the biggest "screw you" Nintendo has ever given its fans. Nintendo can't afford to lose fans right now because keeping loyal fans like you is basically the only commercially successful thing that Nintendo has managed to do in the last 4 years.

Nintendo already lost me as a fan. If they delay this game again, I'll hack my Wii U and pirated it. Not because of money, but on principle.

Around the Network
Boberkun said:
Illusion said:

Nintendo already lost me as a fan. If they delay this game again, I'll hack my Wii U and pirated it. Not because of money, but on principle.

No offense, but what good would that do? And since you said that Nintendo lost you as a fan, why do you have the Switch controller, formed as a puppy's face?

curl-6 said:
Illusion said:
No, I do not believe the Wii U version will be cancelled or will even be a digital-only release. Nintendo has promised outright on many occasions that the Wii U would get a mainline Zelda starting with E3's as early as I believe 2012. 

you've gotten real pessimistic :(

oniyide said:
curl-6 said:

Did you like me better back when I was unrealistically optimistic, like thinking Nintendo could turn Wii U around? 

curl-6 said:
Illusion said:

Yeah, but Nintendo almost always delays their Zelda games because (right or wrong) they hold the belief that it's OK to delay a game to make it better.  That said, Nintendo home consoles have always had mainline Zelda releases and BotW has been getting insane hype since E3 2014.  It's simply a matter of PR for Nintendo to demonstrate to fans that they have kept their promises even though the Wii U has been a complete disaster.  For example, take a look at this video which was released in early 2013.  Nintendo has been actually surprisingly good during the Wii U's lifetime about delivering the games that they have promised (heck we even got games like Yarn Yoshi and Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and everybody back in 2013 thought those games would be vaporware).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4t9hpnstRg

Just be patient, I really don't think that Nintendo is going to screw us that badly on this one.

curl-6 said:
oniyide said:

Did you like me better back when I was unrealistically optimistic, like thinking Nintendo could turn Wii U around? 

naw, the 180 is just shocking is all, but everyone has to see the light