By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Final Debate: To which gen does the new Nintendo console belong?

Time to settle the debate, once and for all, about Nintendo's new console; which generation does it belong to? Does it herald in a new era, or is the current gen still going? (Or is the hardware so dated that it belongs in something even earlier?).

Generations are tricky and a clean transition is getting even harder to establish, with three big players in the market all having staggered release schedules. PS4 pro and Scorpio are reminiscent of a young Sega, bridging the gap between generations with new hardware that doesn't quite abandon the old. Now Nintendo's latest entry does much the same.

The games don't look any better with graphics we've all seen before. And there's little variety; Mario and Zelda lead the way with a few third party offerings riding along, but let's face it we've played these games before. The hardware is underpowered and doesn't even compete with the current generation. The controller is so basic and dated it is hard to take it seriously. Overall ], the experience is hardly new.

Going by release date,  Nintendo waited around four years before moving on. Five years is par for the course these days, but it is hardly set in stone. Add to that the fact that this console "isn't going to replace the Wii U and 3DS", Nintendo haven't been completely clear.

Perhaps this confusion is all a by-product of previous generational distinctions focusing on graphical improvements, which added the connotation of cutting-edge performance to the phrase "next-gen". Moving forward, basing console generations on hardware and not release date, could require spreadsheets just to keep track of everything. Dates are linear and easier to follow, and align with the general definition of a generation.

Another Mario game, with graphics from the 80's.

Dated hardware design; only two buttons?!

Is this the first gen 3 console with HDMI?

Surely it's a handheld?

Around the Network

I think the "Collecting dust and forgot it even existed in 6 months from now" gen perhaps.

User moderated -RavenXtra

You can only classify something if you know the parameters by which to classify. There is no consensus on parameters for gens so there are no gens.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

8th gen since it's still competing with consoles that came out in the 8th generation ...

The games are from the nes era, so is the system.

Around the Network

EDIT: Nevermind.

It is not a generation, it is simply a compilation plugin of existing titles.

A generation is a developmental platform which succeeds the last. The Nintendo Switch, for example, is Nintendo's 7th generation of home console. The PS4 is Sony's 4th gen, and Xbox 1 is Microsoft's 3rd generation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Since it's the first hybrid console, it belongs to the 1st gen.

Or not, what do I know?

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Just here to lawl at the inclusion of the word "final" in the title lol

Maybe it doesn't need to be placed in any gen.