By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Eurogamer - Some games running worse on ps4 pro than the base ps4

Barkley said:
SvennoJ said:

For me, I was fully immersed in ED: Horizons running 10-15 fps to have the planets look nice on my laptop at 1080p.

You think NASA operates the Mars rover at 60 fps? ;)

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Zekkyou said:

Given the total absence of legitimate 8.4tf arguments in this thread, i still fail to see the point in bringing it up. I did a quick control-f search of the DF article too, and at the time of me posting this comment it's not been brought up once in the comments of the DF article this thread stems from. In the absence of any direct catalyst, it feels like you just wanted to bring it up. True or not, that's how it appears.

You said the Scorpio 'guarantees native 4k'. 4k might be the design focus of the Scorpio (and it will certainly hit that native mark more often than the Pro), but their developer policy is literally the opposite of an unqualified guarantee.

As for the 8.4tf statements, while you're right that some have misunderstood Cerny, i wouldn't blame Sony for that. He was in an interview with EG that was focusing on what the Pro can do, and the Pro being more efficient with FP16 (it can handle 2 FP16 operations at once, rather than leaving half the registry empty) was one of the points brought up. It's not his fault many don't know the difference between FP16 and FP32, anymore than it's his fault some people seem to think FP16 is purely hypothetical and never used in games. 

Im only bringing it up as its stated by the OP which has now been edited as a joke. Gamers need to move away from the Claim and this 8.4TF or many will be disapointed when a 6TF machine can out preform a 8.4TF machine. Im considering buying one and someone already at my EB games store that works  there told me it is also a 8.4TF machine to try to sell it to me. I just laughed in his face and told him, ill buy one soon but for the official 4.2TF.

The edit was added several hours before your post (at minimum you can see it in the quote of someone who posted 6 hours before you). You clearly feel justified in bringing it up, but personally, i don't think you were. *shrugs*

David_Hernandeez said:
Why do we need SS for 1080p? I mean is cool and gives you a better image quality but is a waste, and they are forcing it! I hope they do 1080p/60fps with better graphics and better AA that would really be sweet, is too early for 4k. My PC can do some last gen games at 4k and they do look amazing but the hit in FPS is just not worth it.

It's just an easy benefit they can offer 1080p TV owners. Most titles already have a higher native render mode anyway, so there's not much work involved in expanding that into a super-sampled mode for those without 4k TVs. There are games with varying types of higher frame-rate options too, and they're also available on 1080p TVs. We won't see 1080p/60fps as a standard though, the Pro's CPU simply isn't strong enough to facilitate major frame-rate jumps in most instances. Sony arguably didn't have a choice on that front, at least not with their price target. 

its a sony so no surprise^^

User was warned for this post ~ CGI

SvennoJ said:
Nem said:

See, i can say the opposite. I can hardly see any difference between 720p and 1080p. But a 30 to 60fps has a direct impact on how much joy i get from the gameplay. From my pov, i don't understand you, because you seem to be playing the graphics rather than the game.

So meh...

The Pro can do anything btw. This can be easily fixed. Sony has been locking things because presumably they don't want regular ps4 owners to go off at them. But they will unlock these things later for sure.

Seems you're playing the fps rather than the game :p

Higher frame rate is nicer, higher res also helps immersion. It depends on the game. If you're focussed on the action nearby, or sidescrollers then higher frame rate is better. If the game is wide open, then better detail in the distance is more important.

Some don't mind the reolution to drop down occasionally, others don't mind a few frame rate dips. Both can break immersion. Dynamic resolution is becoming more and more used nowadays. It would be nice if games had a slider in the options between performance and image quality. The debate between stable image quality and stable framerate will never end.

And yeah the pro can do both, just takes more than a quickly put together patch. New games will be profiled better to sort out occasional bottlenecks.

For me, I was fully immersed in ED: Horizons running 10-15 fps to have the planets look nice on my laptop at 1080p. And I'm enjoying the native 120fps of Trackmania Turbo in VR as well. Depends on the game.

Well... no. I understand what you mean, but by gameplay i don't count the imersion. I count the connection between you pressing buttons and your avatar on screen reacting to them. How responsible that is affects my connection to the game world more than beeingbable to have a bigger view distance for example. But i do agree that there clearly are some who prefer resolution and other FPS. Developers should indeed give us a choice.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Barkley said:

They are not gaming with the Mars rovers

Goodnightmoon said:
SvennoJ said:

They are not gaming with the Mars rovers

Who said exploring the Galaxy in ED is a game :p
It's serious business, lots of spreadsheets involved and crazy theories.

But it would be nice if ED would come to the pro, with psvr support.

I was planning to get one of these but decided to use the wait and see aproach since I wont have a 4K/HDR tv until after the holiday.

Have not been pleased with Playstations outings in 2016 in terms of hardware to be honest, hopefully things will pan out for the better next year. This shouldnt be an issue. Happy with my regular PS4 so the PRO needs to show what it is capable of before being granted access to my home ;)

Very minor issues happening on less than a handful of titles that can easily be patched. But I must say it is disappointing for a developer like Naughtydog, well for TLOU.

SvennoJ said:

For me, I was fully immersed in ED: Horizons running 10-15 fps to have the planets look nice on my laptop at 1080p.

I think I'd rather 480p/60fps... XD