By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Microsoft isn't sharing Xbox One sales data, but claims it beat PS4 in October

Microsoft isn't sharing Xbox One sales data, but claims it beat PS4 in October

Sony rested on its laurels with the PS4. It hit its stride right out of the gate, smashing into Xbox One's awful medieval DRM system (rightfully so), but shortly after, they kind of stopped making progress compared to Microsoft. Meanwhile, their competitor has opened the gates to cross-platform play (something Sony hasn't answered to yet), given us cross-buy and cross-play on PC, continues to update its catalog with backward compatible titles both first and third party, and allows us to change our Gamertag (hah).

And that's translating to sales, as Microsoft is claiming in a statement given to Destructoid (and based on an NPD report) that the Xbox One was "October's best-selling console." Yeah, they aren't giving us hard numbers because of how much they've been embarrassed in the past (all they give us is "Xbox subscribers"), but that might change if they keep outselling the PS4.

"Keep?" Yeah, this is the fourth month Microsoft can claim that they're the top console in the US, and the second in AU and EU. They're stating that the surge is due to Gears of War 4 and Battlefield 1, the former of which is the "top exclusive selling game of October." More NPD data will be released on Monday.

https://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-isn-t-sharing-xbox-one-sales-data-but-claims-it-beat-ps4-in-october-398831.phtml

Around the Network

Funny how MS gets called up everytime this happens, but when Sony were releasing numbers by combining ps3+psp or ps2, no one cared.... VGC being VGC.

spurgeonryan said:
So was it close? Is there any other way to tell besides waiting on them? I do not really pay attention to this stuff, but the title interested me.

We have no idea, at the moment. 

What irks me is this ridiculous "Sony resting on its laurels" narrative. Releasing a Slim, an upgraded, iterative system, and a VR headset in the span of a few months is resting on its laurels? Also, saying features like cross-play are what is leading to higher Xbox sales is very dubious, when it is much clearer that what is leading to higher Xbox sales is the release of the S. 

Libara said:
Funny how MS gets called up everytime this happens, but when Sony were releasing numbers by combining ps3+psp or ps2, no one cared.... VGC being VGC.

But Sony was releasing numbers, MS isn't; that's what the issue is here.  How can one claim over the other without giving proof.  MS doing this is the equivalent of a common internet troll.

Radek said:
EU? EU is much much more than just UK. Xbox One only outsold PS4 in UK, USA and Australia.

PS4 sells more units every month in EU and World Wide overall.

Yeah, it's not exactly the most accurate article, from a technical standpoint. 

Around the Network
Ariakon said:
spurgeonryan said:
So was it close? Is there any other way to tell besides waiting on them? I do not really pay attention to this stuff, but the title interested me.

What irks me is this ridiculous "Sony resting on its laurels" narrative. Releasing a Slim, an upgraded, iterative system, and a VR headset in the span of a few months is resting on its laurels? Also, saying features like cross-play are what is leading to higher Xbox sales is very dubious, when it is much clearer that what is leading to higher Xbox sales is the release of the S.

I concure with your POV.  I think the One S is physically more attractive than the non-S while being reasonably priced.  Also, I think the One S looks better than the PS4 Slim.  Not to say that people buy hardware based on looks, but I wouldn't doubt it played as a minor factor.

Ariakon said:
spurgeonryan said:

It a combination of selling the One S, and fireselling the OG model that's putting them over. Sony didn't have such a luxury to boost their numbers. No one's trading in an OG PS4 for a slim since it's the same thing in a smaller shell, not an upgrade.

Give us numbers Microsoft or otherwise it never happened.

Microsoft never give us numbers they always come from leaks and since the only active leaker Aquamarine tweeted no NPD sales data until 21st November that is likely when we will get the numbers.

let's all just celebrate that both consoles are doing very good right now^^