By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Stop voting for "change".

How closely do you examine a candidate's policy proposals?

If he makes me feel good,... 11 9.24%

I read articles about them. 5 4.20%

I read analyses and also ... 81 68.07%

I just vote for the funni... 22 18.49%

Total:119

Stop voting for change in and of itself.  If you have a specific issue that you want to see specific change in, fine.  Vote because you want universal health care or because you want to abolish Social Security or whatever.  I'm talking about the people who think, "I'm unhappy with things going on in my life or with the things I see on TV and so I'm going to vote against whoever's in charge." 

Recently someone right here on VGChartz made a thread that climaxed with the statement, "I'm an idiot who just doesn't care about the ramifications of what's to come.  I just want a different champion.  And I'm not alone."  At first I thought he was writing satire, but now I believe him. 

This isn't just about Trump, although I am 100% sure that what I am talking about helped put him over the edge.  I'm sure it gave Obama a boost in 2008, and it was just as stupid then. 

Think about the issues you care about.  Think about what you actually want to see happen that you think will fix it.  Think about what policies would accomplish this and why.  And listen to the candidates who you think are willing to do those things, and see if the rest of their ideas are also acceptable to you.  Then vote.  (Is repealing NAFTA really going to bring manufacturing jobs from Mexico to Ohio?  And is it worth widespread use of torture?) 

People said Trump "tells it like it is".  But it's a proven fact that he was more untruthful than anyone else in the entire campaign.  So why didn't they see it that way?  Perhaps they just meant that he didn't tell the same old lies.  They were new and different lies, and that was good enough. 

It's not. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Around the Network

I did not want Hilary to be elected because of:

- The TPP
- I wanted western intervention in the middle-east to stop.

Lawlight said:

- The TPP

And you felt the policy proposals of Hillary's that you disagreed with, and those of Trump that you agreed with, outweighed the policy proposals of Trump's that you disagreed with, and those of Hillary's that you agreed with?  Would you like to name one or two of each from the categories other than "Hillary disagree"? 

Do you really think President Trump will disentangle us from the Middle East? 

(Wasn't Clinton already against the TPP by the time she became the nominee?  Do you think she was going to support it anyway if she was elected?)

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

You expect people to vote based on facts when all they care about is feelings.

Jpcc86 said:
You expect people to vote based on facts when all they care about is feelings.

pretty much this. Most of humanity are base creatures with little higher thought. They are easily manipulated and seldom look or think about how they are where they are and how it really affects their lives. When Trump takes away marriage equality, womens right to choose, and spends billions dragging mexicans out of the country and we're even worse than we are, then it'll be a new change candidate that gets rid of trump. And it will be these 'change' people that vote him into office. And the cycle continuues.

Around the Network

I don't really believe most of the "voting for change" people, to be honest.

At the end of the day, Trump won the less educated because he had the best rhetoric. Not having any real plans ended up being a selling point. Some people don't want to hear explanations they won't understand, they just want someone to say, "I'm going to fix stuff and everything will be better!"

Final-Fan said:
Lawlight said:

- The TPP

And you felt the policy proposals of Hillary's that you disagreed with, and those of Trump that you agreed with, outweighed the policy proposals of Trump's that you disagreed with, and those of Hillary's that you agreed with?  Would you like to name one or two of each from the categories other than "Hillary disagree"? 

Do you really think President Trump will disentangle us from the Middle East? 

(Wasn't Clinton already against the TPP by the time she became the nominee?  Do you think she was going to support it anyway if she was elected?)

No idea what policies Clinton had as I don't usually follow politics but those are the 2 that affect the country I live in and the people I care about. I know Clinton was all for the TPP under Obama.

"Don't vote for change", huh?

So we should have never voted in Obama?

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

People don't care about policies, they just want faces they can hate and cheer on. Politics in the US is nothing more than entertainment and sports. That's why elections are nothing more than fanboy wars trying to bring the unconvinced on their side.

Having your own side win is more important than what the issues actually are.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Azuren said:
"Don't vote for change", huh?

So we should have never voted in Obama?

We should have, but not for the reason of unthinking change.