By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Hasn't even been an hour and I noticed a worrying observation

hershel_layton said:

I'm on the internet, and there's a sudden explosion of people saying things you'd see much less before. people calling blacks niggers, hate on certain groups of people, etc. yes, a all of that was on the internet before. however, many social media pages are having more people saying it commonly.

Is it just me or do people feel more comfortable saying disgusting things just because trump won? the last thing I'd want to see is the bigots popping out and spreading hate everywhere. I also do not want to see salty Hillary supporters go on a rampage.

Hoping that this is just a hangover of the elections that will fade soon

What I find disturbing before the end of the election was that Trump was being accused of being a racist but Clinton used performing artists like Jay-Z and Beyoncé to get the "black" vote. Ironic to put it quite nicely especially when you consider the language Jay-Z was using when performing.

Around the Network
hershel_layton said:

Is it just me or do people feel more comfortable saying disgusting things just because trump won? the last thing I'd want to see is the bigots popping out and spreading hate everywhere. I also do not want to see salty Hillary supporters go on a rampage.

It isn't called disgusting anymore. It's "presidential" now. And who doesn't want to become President by oppressing minorities?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Was the same with the brexit, same will happen with le pen and Geert Wilders probably.

Ka-pi96 said:
The Fury said:

No, because's it's Christmas, who says 'xmas'?

I do!

Christmas for Christians and those who believe in Christ.

Giftmas for everyone else.

... I just don't like the term 'xmas', sounds bad in my head.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Ka-pi96 said:

I do!

Christmas for Christians and those who believe in Christ.

Giftmas for everyone else.

... I just don't like the term 'xmas', sounds bad in my head.

Giftmas? Sounds like a term invented not to offend people. I'm not Christian but I do celebrate Christmas. 

Around the Network

When I was very young, I saw a TV show that nobody seems to remember but me. It was called "Cosmic Slop". It stayed in my head.

It was an anthology of sorts and in one segment, aliens came to earth. They promised to turn earth into a utopia in exchange for all of the black people. They set an amount of time for earth to vote on whether black people could stay or not. In public, the world pledged support of black people and, on the day that the aliens returned, black people were shocked as the vast majority voted to have them taken away. And as one black person looked on in shock, he was told by a white person, "You had to know that you people didn't stand a chance, right?"

Don't know why, but the current climate in America reminded me of this.

Ka-pi96 said:

Never heard of giftmas before, but I am one of those everyone else, hence xmas

Lawlight said:

Giftmas? Sounds like a term invented not to offend people. I'm not Christian but I do celebrate Christmas. 

It's not a well known term. Joke term really.  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Giftmas

Hmm, pie.

d21lewis said:
When I was very young, I saw a TV show that nobody seems to remember but me. It was called "Cosmic Slop". It stayed in my head.

It was an anthology of sorts and in one segment, aliens came to earth. They promised to turn earth into a utopia in exchange for all of the black people. They set an amount of time for earth to vote on whether black people could stay or not. In public, the world pledged support of black people and, on the day that the aliens returned, black people were shocked as the vast majority voted to have them taken away. And as one black person looked on in shock, he was told by a white person, "You had to know that you people didn't stand a chance, right?"

Don't know why, but the current climate in America reminded me of this.

Why do you feel like that? You're buying into the fearmongering of the media.

Lawlight said:

Neither candidate was good the US but the idea put forward by Lewis is that the underlying feelings of a nation actually differ from that of what the show on the surface, especially when it comes to a secret ballot. It's the idea of the 'promise' made. "We'll do this, everything will be better. Trust us." While people may say, "Yeah, right.", inside they think "But what if..."

Unless I've completely taken the moral of that programme wrong.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Lawlight said:

Neither candidate was good the US but the idea put forward by Lewis is that the underlying feelings of a nation actually differ from that of what the show on the surface, especially when it comes to a secret ballot. It's the idea of the 'promise' made. "We'll do this, everything will be better. Trust us." While people may say, "Yeah, right.", inside they think "But what if..."

Unless I've completely taken the moral of that programme wrong.

If that's what it is then it's not very similar. The only reason people assumed that Clinton would win is because the media has been feeding us that narrative. My understanding from his post is that basically the voters are secretly racists, which is odd since the same crowd voted for Obama a few years ago.