By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Emily Rogers Discussion Thread: No More Rumors Until January

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

You can cherry pick a few series and say they're in decline, but the AAA sector as a whole still dominates the sales charts and the console market. That's not changing anytime soon.

Most consumers would rather play something than nothing. Game droughts are worse than a few framerate dips or minor bugs.

Cherry picking what, it's you yourself who refuses to ignore the clear effects on the industry feel free to keep thinking nothing is happening though.

Most consumers want to play something that works as intended if the product is hampered to the point that it doesn't deliver most consumers would have rathered played something else or nothing, again these aren't minor bugs like you keep parroting that we're talking about.

You're picking out a few minority cases of publishers struggling when the majority are doing well. I think you just don't like that AAA gaming is dominating the industry.

And the sales charts don't support your argument. Products lacking polish tear up the charts week in and week out. 

Games releasing before they’re fully polished is a good thing; it means we get more games more often, while it takes nothing away from those who’d rather wait, as they still have the option of holding out for a few months til it’s patched.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

You're picking out a few minority cases of publishers struggling when the majority are doing well. I think you just don't like that AAA gaming is dominating the industry.

And the sales charts don't support your argument. Products lacking polish tear up the charts week in and week out. 

Games releasing before they’re fully polished is a good thing; it means we get more games more often, while it takes nothing away from those who’d rather wait, as they still have the option of holding out for a few months til it’s patched.

No I've given you examples of a significant number that have had problems stemming from last gen that highlight the effects people are pointing out now day, you however have already made your mind up so an example being the non sense in your claim in people not liking AAA dominating. Such a claim is so laughable it calls into question your mode of thinking as AAA just means high budget blockbuster people personally don't care if they're dominating, pointing out the expensive effect on developers is not disliking AAA approach so if you have no counter arguments leave the attacks to yourself.

No dude games releasing before being polished is a disaster and the fact that someone would say this is mind boggling, getting games more often is not worth it if they're released with problems, those who wait can opt not to buy if the problems are severe I did just that with No Man's Sky, those who buy the game are left unhappy. The is no positive from implementing bad practices that's what starts the slide downward.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

No I've given you examples of a significant number that have had problems stemming from last gen that highlight the effects people are pointing out now day, you however have already made your mind up so an example being the non sense in your claim in people not liking AAA dominating. Such a claim is so laughable it calls into question your mode of thinking as AAA just means high budget blockbuster people personally don't care if they're dominating, pointing out the expensive effect on developers is not disliking AAA approach so if you have no counter arguments leave the attacks to yourself.

No dude games releasing before being polished is a disaster and the fact that someone would say this is mind boggling, getting games more often is not worth it if they're released with problems, those who wait can opt not to buy if the problems are severe I did just that with No Man's Sky, those who buy the game are left unhappy. The is no positive from implementing bad practices that's what starts the slide downward.

Nothing laughable about it; Sony, MS, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Bestheda, they're all doing fine. Every week AAA games rule the charts. A few smaller studios may fall by the wayside, by again, that's just natural selection. I've been hearing the same song and dance about AAA destroying the industry since 2009, and yet here we are in 2016, and AAA still rules with an iron fist.

Minor polish issues are just not a big deal to most gamers. They're a small price to pay for the benefits of less game droughts and more stuff to play. Delays are a far worse practice. Better to provide faster service and give consumers the choice of jumping in or waiting, instead of forcing everyone to wait. Let the customer decide instead of choosing for them.

curl-6 said:

Nothing laughable about it; Sony, MS, Activision, EA, Ubisoft, Bestheda, they're all doing fine. Every week AAA games rule the charts. A few smaller studios may fall by the wayside, by again, that's just natural selection. I've been hearing the same song and dance about AAA destroying the industry since 2009, and yet here we are in 2016, and AAA still rules with an iron fist.

Minor polish issues are just not a big deal to most gamers. They're a small price to pay for the benefits of less game droughts and more stuff to play. Delays are a far worse practice. Better to provide faster service and give consumers the choice of jumping in or waiting, instead of forcing everyone to wait. Let the customer decide instead of choosing for them.

It is laughable because it's more than some smaller studios it's a significant amount of them since 2009 (7 years so the space of one gen) a number of them went under as well as a large amount running into financial problems even among some of the companies you keep parroting like Sony who still are battling financial aspects while MS offset the large losses with their other buisness, the others reduced their output to focus on only a few select titles as the financial strain is too big but ignorance is bliss afer all and some prefer to remain blind to any issue pointed out as long as the is some random AAA title around.

Faster is not better no matter how much you tell yourself that implementing bad practices just to rush out a product is not a positive in any shape or form no matter how many times you parrot that sentiment I'll keep telling you this, your logic is rush out give the consumer a choice of buying a potentially broken product and the fact that you think that this choice is some sort of redeeming factor is disturbing in any industry.

Wyrdness said:
curl-6 said:

It is laughable because it's more than some smaller studios it's a significant amount of them since 2009 (7 years so the space of one gen) a number of them went under as well as a large amount running into financial problems even among some of the companies you keep parroting like Sony who still are battling financial aspects while MS offset the large losses with their other buisness, the others reduced their output to focus on only a few select titles as the financial strain is too big but ignorance is bliss afer all and some prefer to remain blind to any issue pointed out as long as the is some random AAA title around.

Faster is not better no matter how much you tell yourself that implementing bad practices just to rush out a product is not a positive in any shape or form no matter how many times you parrot that sentiment I'll keep telling you this, your logic is rush out give the consumer a choice of buying a potentially broken product and the fact that you think that this choice is some sort of redeeming factor is disturbing in any industry.

If it was as bad as you claim, the AAA industry would have collapsed by now. But it hasn't, and its not going to, at least not anytime soon.

The positives of getting more content faster outweighs the potential negatives of day 1 imperfections, which in most cases amount to little more than slight framerate issues or minor bugs, neither of which are dealbreakers, and many of which are swiftly fixed.