By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When Bad Nintendo Ideas Flop

Tagged games:

bigtakilla said:
Wyrdness said:

Meh I've been defiant since Prime, remember how that game was supposedly going to be an abomination on the Metroid name before release according to fans now they whack off to it, I appreciated them trying new things with their games whether the execution doesn't work out or I don't agree with it at least they're trying out new ideas.

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! Free thinking, open mindedness.... It burns!!!!

The problem is they build up franchises that people grow to love, and have zero reguard for the fans that came to love it, for what it was.

Keeping the characters/name, but vastly changeing the gameplay DNA of a game franchise, does suck.

Like Paper Mario going from a serious RPG, to a 2Dplatformer, then a simple sticker puzzle type game.... it sucks.

Metroid prime games of old, are very damn differnt than Metroid Prime : federation force.

Stuff like that sucks..... instead of evolving the gameplay or keeping it (if its near perfect) they seemingly swap things around without reguard for the fans.

Its not something we should be praiseing nintendo for.

If they want to try vastly differnt gameplay types, they should make new franchises, instead of just copy&pasteing characters from beloved franchices into it.

No one wanted a Animal Crossing Amiibo party board game.... why did nintendo give us it? couldnt they have put in some more effect and made a real AC game instead? ect ect ect.

Around the Network

Well, kill me, I think SF:Zero is the second best game in the franchise, and Paper Mario is a decent, polished game. I can't deny that Nintendo doesn't have a clue about what their fans demand, because nobody asked for them. I still think that creative vision must not be affected by consumer's demands, and if they felt like they wanted to make those games, in that way, good for them, they have balls. It's still a commercial suicide though.

JRPGfan said:
bigtakilla said:

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrgggghhhhh! Free thinking, open mindedness.... It burns!!!!

The problem is they build up franchises that people grow to love, and have zero reguard for the fans that came to love it, for what it was.

Keeping the characters/name, but vastly changeing the gameplay DNA of a game franchise, does suck.

Like Paper Mario going from a serious RPG, to a 2Dplatformer, then a simple sticker puzzle type game.... it sucks.

Metroid prime games of old, are very damn differnt than Metroid Prime : federation force.

Stuff like that sucks..... instead of evolving the gameplay or keeping it (if its near perfect) they seemingly swap things around without reguard for the fans.

If they want to try vastly differnt gameplay types, they should make new franchises, instead of just copy&pasteing characters from beloved franchices into it.

No one wanted a Animal Crossing Amiibo party board game.... why did nintendo give us it? couldnt they have put in some more effect and made a real AC game instead? ect ect ect.

Mate don't ever mention Prime at all in your argument because that game was hammered before release by fans, funny how their tune has changed now. The original Prime is an example of them doing what you're complaining about now.

JRPGfan said:

That's kind of Nintendo's M.O. though; they come up with a gameplay idea and try to make a game with it using one of their established franchises to give it a better chance of succeeding.  The only times I don't see them do this is either when they're unable to just plug-and-play an established IP into a gameplay idea or if they have enough confidence in a gameplay idea to succeed on its own.

To hell with Metroid Prime, I want a 2D Metroidvania style sequel to Metroid Fusion.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network

He has a point; Nintendo has tried to forcefeed a lot of garbage to their fanbase recently by attaching a popular brand name to it.

New/different concepts are only a positive thing when they improve the experience. New/different just for the sake of being new/different, a la Starfox Zero's controls, is not inhertently a good thing, and can actively harm a game.

A game like Federation Force, for instance, jettisons pretty much everything good about the series, but adds nothing of worth.

Seeing these games that nobody asked for flop makes me happy, because it shows that fans won't just accept any old crap Nintendo shovels their way.

JRPGfan said:

I don't disagree, but in the case of stuff like Federation Force/Amiibo Festival, I'd say just don't make cheap trash to begin with.

They were full of bad ideas the entire gen. Starting with the Wii U library.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Soundwave said:
Color Splash would've flopped even if it was the best Paper Mario game ever.

No.It wouldnt have sold as best as the other ones, but it wouldnt have floped.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Volterra_90 said:
Well, kill me, I think SF:Zero is the second best game in the franchise, and Paper Mario is a decent, polished game. I can't deny that Nintendo doesn't have a clue about what their fans demand, because nobody asked for them. I still think that creative vision must not be affected by consumer's demands, and if they felt like they wanted to make those games, in that way, good for them, they have balls. It's still a commercial suicide though.

That's how I kinda feel. Not every idea is gonna work or be received well. Still, we don't know how the devs went through these ideas during development. I never developed a game before so I don't know their thought process. Tanabe (producer of the Prime series) was pretty adamant that Federation Force was an idea he wanted to tackle for while now. Amiibo Festival was something Aya Kyogoku (who was a big part of developing New Leaf) apparently wanted to do. I don't know how they look back on the feedback on these games. All I can say is that these last few years have been weird for Nintendo with the Wii U unable to go anywhere, the Switch being on the horizon very soon, the initiative to expand IP and brand awareness, the unfortunate death of Mr. Iwata, etc.

Although I'm sure Shokio has some points (honestly didn't watch the video yet), I kinda still disagree because I personally like Star Fox Zero, despite its flaws. Also, Color Splash apparently is getting more praise than criticism by those who played it. These games may not be why fans want, it doesn't necessarily mean they're bad and that's final. Even great games like F-Zero GX, the original Chibi Robo, and the Tellius series from Fire Emblem didn't sell particularly well. There are always gonna be games that sell better than "deserved" and vice versa.

Wyrdness said:
JRPGfan said:

Mate don't ever mention Prime at all in your argument because that game was hammered before release by fans, funny how their tune has changed now. The original Prime is an example of them doing what you're complaining about now.

the man is talking about 3 games, you're talking about one that came out more than a decade ago?