By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: New 3D Mario POSSIBLY A Nintendo Switch Launch Title!

It has to be.It's the only nintendo made switch game weve heard of so far that isn't a wii u port.

Around the Network
Poojipoo said:
The bit that's a little odd is saying "instead of Zelda". Zelda seems like a given as a launch title at this point, whereas we just barely found out a new 3D Mario exists. It sould be very strange if Mario came first.

I think that's because she is personal opinion is that Nintendo wouldn't launch Zelda and 3D Mario in same time for Switch launch, but I disagree.

Doesn't really make any sense to launch them at the same time even if they are both finished.

Zelda in March

Mario in May or June.

Would make much more sense and stop the dreaded "post launch lull" dead in its tracks.

I call bullshit. Only because 2 million switch units would be too low to accommodate a Zelda and Mario same day release. I mean Nintendo...if Zelda and Mario are launch titles, you probably need 5 million units in march to be shipped. Not 2 million.

Soundwave said:
Doesn't really make any sense to launch them at the same time even if they are both finished.

Zelda in March

Mario in May or June.

Would make much more sense and stop the dreaded "post launch lull" dead in its tracks.

Actually make sense if they want to have very strong launch and make very attractive console right of gate.

If they launch both games on Switch launch that doesn't mean later will be drought.

Around the Network

With a Zelda AND a Mario title at launch, how could the Switch NOT be a success?! Those two games alone guarantee sale numbers around 5-10 millions!

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

To be honest, I dont think this is true.I still think that the Mario game is a ways off, not to mention that Miyamoto mention something about a more in depth reveal in E3.So I stand by my opinion that this is a 2017 holiday release at the earliest.And I personally think it would be overkill to release a Zelda and Mario, coupled with Wii U ports and what third party presence there will be at launch.The best strategy here for Nintendo is to spread out the big games, enough to make the system atrractive through the year, but at the same time always having that big title close enough to keep people and owners always interested

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

If this does happen and we habe a new, big 3D Mario at launch as an NX exclusive as well as Breath of the Wild...that would be pretty huge. Though ut raises the question of the Holidays 2017 as this is sounding awfully frontloaded.

Miyamotoo said:
Soundwave said:

Zelda in March

Mario in May or June.

Actually make sense if they want to have very strong launch and make very attractive console right of gate.

If they launch both games on Switch launch that doesn't mean later will be drought.

It doesn't make sense even from that POV. There's only a set amount of units available for launch anyway and those are likely to sell out no matter what just with Zelda. 

Most systems sell their initial stock no problem. 

Nintendo's problem has been their post launch periods have been atrocious. 

So moving Mario into that slot would make way more sense. 

I'd say there's almost 0 chance Nintendo would launch them on the same day, even if they are both 100% complete. Just bad usage of resources. 

Slarvax said:

She said she also expects Zelda to not be a launch title.

Now, I trusted her for the Switch leaks, but I think this is a far fetch. 3D Mario must have been in development either alongside the Switch (let's say since the Wii U development stopped - late 2012) or after 3D World launched (November 2013), giving it either 3.5-3 years of dev time... I mean, we dont know how long it usually takes, but for a completely new Mario, with new engine and for a new system? I dont see it at launch.

On the other hand, Breath of the Wild has had at least 5 years of dev time, 6 if we believe it started as soon as SS was out. I see Nintendo releasing them separately next year, one for launch, the other for holidays, but I just dont see Mario out in 4 months.

She didnt said that, this what she said. "That's not to say that Zelda won't/can't be a launch window title. But 3D Mario was much further along in development than anyone thinks."

Nintendo said that development of 3D Mario usually last 2.5-3 years and much less than develempent than 3D Zelda, and we know that Mario 3D World is finished at in November 2013, so new 3D Mario is right on track to be finished at end of 2016, in Switch case March 2017.