By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Production Ends this week [Eurogamer] RIP

Hiku said:
tak13 said:

Dreamcast sold like 9m...

Wii u without being killed early ( and with a price cut of course ) could have sold double of that! :)

It was killed off early because it was selling poorly and not making them as much money as they would have wanted. And if they thought cutting the price would have been profitable, they would have.

That's true...

Around the Network

I think Nintendo were in a bad situation with the wii u. It was a cheap ass console made from low performance components but there was one component that due to circumstances would soon be very expensive to get new orders of. So Nintendo couldn't manufacture more wii u's at a reasonable price so they rationed supply just enough to last until the Switch launch. That's why there were reports of older unsold wii u's being repacked to freshen them up.

The wii u started being manufactured by Foxconn in China but the last production was in Japan probably from unassembled parts from China.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/sony-may-leave-nintendo-wii-u-without-edram-cache/

I remember expecting the wii u price to drop but there was just no point because it was prohibitively expensive to produce more chips containing eDRAM memory so they just managed with their existing inventory of chips and stretched it out.

They probably could have re-designed the wii u to be compatible using different hardware but again that would be a huge expense for a console that wasn't popular. They were never motivated to make any further investments in wii u production.

It just feels like Nintendo have given up on the wii u for a long time simply because what's the point of marketing something that you cannot supply if you increase demand.

Well it pipped my ltd estimate of 12M, not quite my revised estimate of 16M after abuse.

bonzobanana said:
I think Nintendo were in a bad situation with the wii u. It was a cheap ass console made from low performance components but there was one component that due to circumstances would soon be very expensive to get new orders of. So Nintendo couldn't manufacture more wii u's at a reasonable price so they rationed supply just enough to last until the Switch launch. That's why there were reports of older unsold wii u's being repacked to freshen them up.

The wii u started being manufactured by Foxconn in China but the last production was in Japan probably from unassembled parts from China.

http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/anton-shilov/sony-may-leave-nintendo-wii-u-without-edram-cache/

I remember expecting the wii u price to drop but there was just no point because it was prohibitively expensive to produce more chips containing eDRAM memory so they just managed with their existing inventory of chips and stretched it out.

They probably could have re-designed the wii u to be compatible using different hardware but again that would be a huge expense for a console that wasn't popular. They were never motivated to make any further investments in wii u production.

It just feels like Nintendo have given up on the wii u for a long time simply because what's the point of marketing something that you cannot supply if you increase demand.

Yeah :/...  Tablet controller was expensive too... 80$ manufacturing cost! Is that component related to the gamepad?

When  did we get these news bro?

Worst console I have ever owned and worst purchase I have ever made. It had a handful of good games but it does not make up for a poor library, poor hardware and useless gimmick, plus they will be on Switch anyway. Good riddance.

Around the Network
Drakrami said:
What happened to they will continue to support the WiiU after NX? They arent even making anymore WiiUs 4 months before NX release lol.

The NX ceased to exist after it became NS, so technically they kept to their word.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

AbbathTheGrim said:
Drakrami said:
What happened to they will continue to support the WiiU after NX? They arent even making anymore WiiUs 4 months before NX release lol.

The NX ceased to exist after it became NS, so technically they kept to their word.

lol

The classical abbath...  Why not NSW? :p

AbbathTheGrim said:
Drakrami said:

I would never bomb France, change the name to Brance and I'll bomb it because that means the country doesn't exist anymore so I wouldn't have been lying.

I hope you're joking though.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Got more sales than it deserved