By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Slate: The Nintendo Wii's pitiful online gaming service

Words Of Wisdom said:

Lag seems strange to me.

Sometimes I'll tons of matches with no lag then a week later I'll play with the same person and have tons of it. Naznatips and I played a single match last night for example. The lag was to the point where I decided to step out. Went into a game with MaxwellGT2000, fazz, and Taomaster and had lag there too however fazz left and all the lag was instantly gone.

Yet fazz and I have played lag-free matches in the past...

Yeah, but for me, I think it's a combination of that firewall, that I only have wireless internet as a choice, that the access point is in the building next to this one, and such, so I'm not too hopeful about getting any lag free matches unless they're based in Japan or until I get back to the USA., but I hope it gets fixed up for most people quickly.

Around the Network

I'm going to say this:

I'm perfectly fine with Brawl's online mode aside from the lack of Special Brawl mode.

The thing is that the game looks to be on track to outsell Melee, even without online half as great as the other systems.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Topic ------------------------->
Thread ________
\
\
\
\
--------->

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

yea, i would love to play brawl with a headset so i could shit talk my opponents.

Around the Network

They are improving their online but in comparison to Live it is still a service 3 more years in the making. However it is free so what should you expect? Much of the costs can be eliminated by having each console act as its own server and host though its more of a programming and software side issue to be over come however most deal with it as an external non console problem rather than integrating it.

"Like you know"

Yeah, friend codes suck, but lag is generally not an issue. It does come up every once in a while (like in the match WoW mentioned). Still, it's a rare occurance for me. I'd say maybe one match out of every five I have any noticeable lag, and half the time it's because one of the people I'm playing against has a bad connection.

As for voice chat, the immaturity of some of the online console gamers has caused me to never use a mic on a console anyway unless playing with a friend. Even then I can just hook up my headset and hop on Steam.

well...i find it pretty well except for the occasional lag

No voice chat, no camera, no freinds list, no player ID....

Complaints about lag....

What exactly does the Wii online service offer?

Reading through these comments I get the impression that it's very restricting, soulless and utterly outdated.

Are their firmware updates for the Wii?

Words Of Wisdom said:
epsilon72 said:

Yeah, I tried Brawl online the other day, and I have to say that it is almost totally broken. I don't care about voice/picture chat nearly as much as most gamers out there, but when the integral component of online play (that is, actually playing online) doesn't work there is a serious problem.

(I couldn't even successfully get into one match, and I have a good connection)

Why couldn't you get into a match? I've yet to have that problem.

Unless Cox has decided to employ some sort of firewall (which I doubt) that shouldn't be the problem - since I only tried it once for about a 15 minute period I suppose it could have been a slow day or a fluke or something....but a game this new/popular, and not being able to find anyone to play with because things are slow?  I can still find some people to play with for some really old PC games!