By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - November NPD: COD Infinite Warfare VS Pokémon Sun/Moon

Which game will sell more first month in USA?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare 78 40.63%

Pokémon Sun/Moon 114 59.38%

Total:192

November is going to have two very big release, Call of Duty Infinite Warfare and Pokémon 7gen.

Call of Duty is holding the record for be the best selling game in November since 2007, with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare which sold over 2 million first month. The series is increased a lot since that, and peaked with Modern Warfare 3 which did almost 9 million unit at launch in November NPD 2011. During the last years we saw a notable drop though at retail, and while Black Ops III did better than Advanced Warfare first month at retail, doesn't looks like Infinite Warfare will have this luck. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare annunced had a huge negative impact, we saw some record like being the second most disliked video on Youtube after Justin Bieber Baby, with over 3.3 million dislikes. Outside this, it will also have a competition from Battlefield 1, the EA shooter which looks like is doing very great so far, even if there aren't many doubt that between the two, COD should easy wins. A positive note from this year COD is definitively the remastered of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the most enjoyed COD from the comunity, which can be huge.

Even so, looks unlucky for Infinite Warfare sells as great as the previus 2 games sold at launch, and expecially if we talk about Black Ops III, lifetime sales are even harder to archivie, cause Black Ops III is probabily one of the most (if not THE most?) leggy COD games ever.

Speaking about Pokémon now, Pokémon Sun and Moon looks like are going to have a massive launch. They are the most pre ordered game of the intere Nintendo history, and expecially in USA / Europe have way more pre orders than the previus games, Pokémon X and Y, and Pokémon shappire and Rubine remakes (aka ORAS).

This is surely in part thanks to Pokémon GO, the famous app which crushed all records on mobile, and has increased the sales of 3DS hardware and software. Though part of this is also thanks the positive word of mouth XY had, unlike Black and White which is for many Pokémon fans (including me) the worst generation of Pokémon, and the bigger userbase on 3DS compared to the previus games.

We know for sure that worldwide this is a close battle, no contest. We already know that Pokémon Moon and Sun is the most pre ordered game in Spain, and is the second most pre ordered game in UK, the worst Nintendo countries.. If this is the situation in Spain, France is surely something like this, and should be close in Germany and Italy too. And there is Japan, which of course make an abyssal gap on Pokémon favour worldwide

So, talking about USA only? More precise, November NPD?

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare has 4 weeks of sales, aka all month of November, Pokémon only 2 weeks.

Here how some previus entry did from this and last generation.

CoD: Modern Warfare - 2.01 million
CoD: World at War - 2.00 million
CoD: Modern Warfare 2 - 6.07 million
CoD: Black Ops - 8.40 million
CoD: Modern Warfare 3 - 8.99 million
CoD: Black Ops II - 7.50 million
CoD: Ghost - 6.10 million
CoD: Advanced Warfare - 4.66 million
CoD: Black Ops III - 4.89 million

Pokémon ORAS - 1.50 million
Pokémon XY - 1.70 million
Pokémon BW - 2.50 million
Pokémon HGSS - 1.78 million
Pokémon DP - 1.76 million

-

So, any thoughs? If possible, predict sales for both Moon/Sun and Infinite Warfare!

Around the Network

I expect first week of sales to be the same, but COD wins November NPD cause has an intere month of sales.

Predictions:
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - 3.50 million
Pokémon Sun/Moon - 3.00 million

Bonus: Watch Dogs 2 - 1 million

hmm
COD IW- 4ml around the same drop from BO2-Ghost(BF4 launched in ghost year) but a little more due to more backlash,
Pokemon S&M- 2ml since its the most preordered game in Nintendo history but I can't see it doing more than BW.
Watch Dogs- 1.1ml.

Took my damn idea 💡

You.... Well not really a big deal. Here is hoping sun and moon win but with 2 weeks less will make a big difference.

Only reason pokemon got a chance this time cuz of 2 things.

1) It could be so much more than previous entries especially with how everything pan out this year (year of pokemon). That and Sun and Moon actually are changing up the franchise in positive ways :)

2) COD has battlefield 1 taking awat some light from it. I dunno how much but time will tell

Is this open to debate?, COD 2:1 at least

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

Pokemon S&M- 2ml since its the most preordered game in Nintendo history but I can't see it doing more than BW.

...You can't see Sun and Moon sells more than Black and White even if is official Sun and Moon have more pre orders...???

GProgrammer said:

I'm 150% sure it won't be nowhere close to 2:1, and if you think it will this mean you have not even read the OP.

GProgrammer said:

Debate? Reminds me of the splatoon vs ffxv thread.

Btw it wont be 2:1 at least. Not even most unless your expecting COD to do 5-7mil?

tbone51 said:
Took my damn idea 💡

You.... Well not really a big deal. Here is hoping sun and moon win but with 2 weeks less will make a big difference.

Only reason pokemon got a chance this time cuz of 2 things.

1) It could be so much more than previous entries especially with how everything pan out this year (year of pokemon). That and Sun and Moon actually are changing up the franchise in positive ways :)

2) COD has battlefield 1 taking awat some light from it. I dunno how much but time will tell

No predictions? I rememb we both agreed about 3 million launch for MS. What do you expect from COD then?

Ryng_Tolu said:
jason1637 said:

...You can't see Sun and Moon sells more than Black and White even if is official Sun and Moon have more pre orders...???

2 million sounds like a safe number. Having more pre-orders doesn't guarantee more sales.