By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is screwing those who bought a Wii U

Magnus said:
MikeRox said:

Seems to boil down to "Exclusivity entitlement".

Well yes, the Wii U was only worth it because of its exclusives. If they are released on the Switch at or near launch then those games are not exclusives at all.

But it doesn't stop those games existing or take away any of the fun you already had out of them.

Mario 64 etc are no longer N64 exclusives either, but it doesn't detract from the fun you had when they were.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network

While I agree that Wii U owners should be angry by the amount and length of support, I don't think many will be angry at Wii U games going to the Switch.

MikeRox said:
Magnus said:

Well yes, the Wii U was only worth it because of its exclusives. If they are released on the Switch at or near launch then those games are not exclusives at all.

But it doesn't stop those games existing or take away any of the fun you already had out of them.

Mario 64 etc are no longer N64 exclusives either, but it doesn't detract from the fun you had when they were.

The problem is that porting these games to Switch so soon makes the Wii U a scam. I should get the better deal for buying a Wii U, not the worse one.

Magnus said:
MikeRox said:

The problem is that porting these games to Switch so soon makes the Wii U a scam. I should get the better deal for buying a Wii U, not the worse one.

You got a better deal: you got access to most games first released on Wii U years before the Switch version. And Nintendo never promised you or anyone else to keep these games WiiU-exclusive.

For which games did you buy the Wii U anyways?Which Wii U games did you buy? Which of them did you enjoy? Which of them didn't you enjoy?

Magnus said:
MikeRox said:

How are you getting a worse deal? You got to play Wii U games when you wanted.

If you bought the system at launch expecting it to get better support, that's just sadly the risk early adopters take. There were people who paid more money out for systems like the Amiga CD32 and 3DO and imo got far less in return.

If you bought it once the games you wanted were out, then you already knew it was a struggling system.

Nintendo put far too much money into their Wii U software to just leave them on Wii U given the sales of what are imo very good entries into their respective series. I don't blame them for trying to extend their life.

But I know I was in the wrong side of this exclusivity privilege anyway as I still saw Vita games as Vita games regardless of if they were also on another platform. That inherently seems to be what so many are finding the issue to be with Wii U games going to Switch.

Any sane person knows Nintendo need to bet big on Switch and putting installments of a game that most people never played is a quick and easy way of boosting the lineup to appeal to more people and in turn hopefully into a much more viable system.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Magnus said:

You got a better deal: you got access to most games first released on Wii U years before the Switch version. And Nintendo never promised you or anyone else to keep these games WiiU-exclusive.

For which games did you buy the Wii U anyways?Which Wii U games did you buy? Which of them did you enjoy? Which of them didn't you enjoy?

We both know damn well he isn't going to answer any of those questions you just asked, he's just going to continue saying he was scewed over.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Conina said:
Magnus said:

I bought the Wii U for Super Mario 3D World, and I expected the Wii U to be supported like the Gamecube was, which was a reasonable expectation and the expectation of most people who bought the system. I expected Nintendo would leave the games to die on the Wii U because they would otherwise they would abandon the system, and I did not expect them to port the games so soon to Switch because that never ever happened before and is deliberately decieving your customers.

I bought Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Nintendo Land (came with the system), Super Mario 3D World, Zombi U (which sucked) and Zelda Wind Waker. While not all the games I bought will be ported to Switch, I find the treatment Nintendo gave those who bought the Wii U despicable, considering they didn't give the same treatment to those who bought their other failed systems.

If you bought the system at launch expecting it to get better support, that's just sadly the risk early adopters take. There were people who paid more money out for systems like the Amiga CD32 and 3DO and imo got far less in return.

If you bought it once the games you wanted were out, then you already knew it was a struggling system.

Nintendo put far too much money into their Wii U software to just leave them on Wii U given the sales of what are imo very good entries into their respective series. I don't blame them for trying to extend their life.

Nintendo is supposed to be a safe bet, customers do not expect to take a risk buying their products, and Nintendo didn't screw Gamecube owners like they are doing now to Wii U owners. Nintendo should have either leave those games to die on the Wii U or abandon the system. By releasing those games on Wii U, promising support, then porting them to Switch they deliberately decieved their customers, and that is unforgivable.

Reggie clearly said his body was ready, Wii U buyers were adequately warned.   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Magnus said:
Conina said:

I bought the Wii U for Super Mario 3D World, and I expected the Wii U to be supported like the Gamecube was, which was a reasonable expectation and the expectation of most people who bought the system. I expected Nintendo would leave the games to die on the Wii U because they would otherwise they would abandon the system, and I did not expect them to port the games so soon to Switch because that never ever happened before and is deliberately decieving your customers.

I bought Super Smash Bros, Bayonetta 2, New Super Mario Bros U, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Nintendo Land (came with the system), Super Mario 3D World, Zombi U (which sucked) and Zelda Wind Waker. While not all the games I bought will be ported to Switch, I find the treatment Nintendo gave those who bought the Wii U despicable, considering they didn't give the same treatment to those who bought their other failed systems.

Nintendo is supposed to be a safe bet, customers do not expect to take a risk buying their products, and Nintendo didn't screw Gamecube owners like they are doing now to Wii U owners. Nintendo should have either leave those games to die on the Wii U or abandon the system. By releasing those games on Wii U, promising support, then porting them to Switch they deliberately decieved their customers, and that is unforgivable.

N64 got similar treatment, Animal Crossing was ported to Gamecube, Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask were ported to GC.

Dinosaur Planet was announced for N64 but delayed and moved to Gamecube with a new name, Eternal Darkness started as an N64 game as well.

Gamecube got similar treatment, Twilight Princess was delayed and ported to Wii while also launching on Wii first.

Super Paper Mario & Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast were announced for Gamecube but delayed and switched to Wii.

Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Power Tennis, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat were all ported to Wii.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Magnus said:

N64 got similar treatment, Animal Crossing was ported to Gamecube, Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask were ported to GC.

Dinosaur Planet was announced for N64 but delayed and moved to Gamecube with a new name, Eternal Darkness started as an N64 game as well.

Gamecube got similar treatment, Twilight Princess was delayed and ported to Wii while also launching on Wii first.

Super Paper Mario & Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast were announced for Gamecube but delayed and switched to Wii.

Pikmin, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Mario Power Tennis, Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat were all ported to Wii.

Yah, actually I remember that N64 to Gamecube transition was far more traumatic. Dinosaur Planet was going to be one of the best games in the console and it was moved... But I remember more promised games that simply disappeared, like Earthbound 64.  Also, the West didn't received many games nor the 64DD, which was a failure but had been pretty advertised in the first years of the console, and that had some interesting games (plus those which were cancelled).

WiiU users have been treated comparatively nicely...