By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest

Which one?

Final Fantasy 109 61.93%

Dragon Quest 61 34.66%

I have no mental capacity... 6 3.41%

Total:176

DQ is more consistent tbh, since DQ8 I've preferred it over FF.

Around the Network
Bandorr said:
LivingMetal said:

I love 8...

If it got remastered I would give it another try. I have this thing about graphics. I can go back and play old games I've played before, but I can't play old games I haven't played before.

Nostalgia and "knowing" what everything looked like originally helps me get through the aging graphics - so without those I can't do it.

I hated the draw system, and the orphanage.

What I loved about 8 was the whole time travel paradox aspect.  And Selphie's my girl.  Then, there's Laguna's battle theme song.

Ljink96 said:

Just know I had to show up. But this is a battle already known. It's going to be Final Fantasy, and rightfully so. I love Final Fantasy as well. But Dragon Quest 8, imo, surpasses Final Fantasy 1-14 in every way possible. To me, it's a perfect game and it's why I love the Dragon Quest series so much. In terms of legacy, Final Fantasy has done so much more for the industry in terms of technology. Dragon Quest laid the groundwork for the console JRPG, and the job system. Both have contributed much to the industry.

I still don't think Persona or SMT comes close to either FF or DQ. I'm gonna have to go with Dragon Quest simply because Dragon Quest 8 was the first game I played that made me understand that games can be experiences, not just something you do to pass the time.

I also think voiced protaginists are overrated. I don't need somebody to speak for me, I like seeing myself as the main character. Othewise, it's like playing an on rails story in terms of my experience. 

My man!

VGPolyglot said:
Final Fantasy for sure. One thing that I like about it is that they mainly have voiced protagonists, unlike Dragon Quest where they're silent.

Filthy mainstream gamer.

LivingMetal said:
VGPolyglot said:
Final Fantasy for sure. One thing that I like about it is that they mainly have voiced protagonists, unlike Dragon Quest where they're silent.

Filthy mainstream gamer.

Final Fantasy has had talking protagonists since FFII. Also, Dragon Quest is about as mainstream as it gets in Japan.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
LivingMetal said:

Filthy mainstream gamer.

Final Fantasy has had talking protagonists since FFII. Also, Dragon Quest is about as mainstream as it gets in Japan.

Mainstream Japan =/= Mainstream American.  Fact.

I've only completed 2 mainline FF games and 1 main DQ game :/
Played quite a few FF spinoffs and like 3(?) DQ spinoffs

Overall, Final Fantasy probably will take the prize since I haven't played many DQ games to judge properly, but Dragon Quest IX is one of my all time favourites

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

LivingMetal said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

Never liked the amount of grinding Dragon Quest has.  I mean, it's still insane.  

It is personal preference when it comes to the tolerance of the amount of grinding one would allow, but I can see why it's not as much as  an issue in Final Fantasy becoming more and more mainsteeam.

FF got the random encounter rate right at 7 with a very well balanced leveling system.  No need to even grind other party members if you didn't want to.

Lube Me Up

BasilZero said:
Persona is great but final fantasy is awesome.

Dragon quest is a bit bleh in comparison to both series. Dragon quest 5 was a good game but compared to even the worst ff game - it isn't saying much.

You're dead to me

Dragon Quest is very consistent to me, while Final Fantasy has been hit or miss, also I've never bothered with either series' MMO.

I'd say I'm more excited about Dragon Quest XI than I am about Final Fantasy XV, but I am really excited about FInal Fantasy VII:R.

So I waffle and vote Grandia because I love that series and miss it all the time.