By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy vs. Dragon Quest

Which one?

Final Fantasy 109 61.93%

Dragon Quest 61 34.66%

I have no mental capacity... 6 3.41%

Total:176
SegataSanshiro said:

Read the edit and no need to be so defensive. No need for it. Seeing you have an avatar you already made up your mind is the impression I'm getting and I can't carry discussion  that way. Again I seen this before and used it by now.

That avatar is because I am indeed hyped for the game, but I also chose it because both my son and I are awaiting its release.

And your edit didn't help you in any way. But I did edit mine as well anyway.

Around the Network

I don't need those hours I just like to. However I can give a example of how people say Xenoblade X story is not there or little there but I found it's all there. In fact every shred is there but it's unconventional and given to you in small fragments both visual,implied and told at various points. I have found a ton of evidence it's not only a sequel to the first game but set on the same world but a long time after. I don't expect you to get it but I do. Sounds condescending and it is but not with ill intent. Just people don't quite know and think what is seen is all there is. I'm leaving now as it's derailing the thread.

SegataSanshiro said:
I don't need those hours I just like to. However I can give a example of how people say Xenoblade X story is not there or little there but I found it's all there. In fact every shred is there but it's unconventional and given to you in small fragments both visual,implied and told at various points. I have found a ton of evidence it's not only a sequel to the first game but set on the same world but a long time after. I don't expect you to get it but I do. Sounds condescending and it is but not with ill intent. Just people don't quite know and think what is seen is all there is. I'm leaving now as it's derailing the thread.

The heck are you on about? xD

Condescending? You're talking nonsense about unrelated stuff, and tell me you're condescending... WTF!? 

The Dragon Quest is thought to be conservative in japan.
And Final Fantasy is thought to be progressive.

Personaly I like Final Fantasy better.

Dragon Quest is undeniably the stronger JRPG series. Through each numbered iteration, it has stayed true to the JRPG formula and has prioritized storytelling and world building over how flashy attacks move or how interactive battles feel. Admittedly, I would enjoy it if DQ XI could branch out just a bit since it will be a PS4 title, but I also don't need them to abandon their gameplay mainstays,

Final Fantasy has definitely shifted to western appeal to try to make sales due to falling popularity in Japan over the past decade or so. It's a model that has worked well. The general response from the sample in this thread seems to show that SE has been successful in marketing to the west with FF while keeping DQ more focused on Japan. Personally, I've gotten a bit tired of Final Fantasy as every iteration since and including X has failed to grab me because of linearity issues, character issues, and a constantly in flux battle system that has yet to figure out if it wants to be action or more traditional. I'm really hoping XV turns my opinion around.

All that aside, It may not help DQ in the west that the company that translates the games has flat out butchered story elements multiple times in the past to add silly accents and bad jokes. I have no idea why, to this day, that is considered okay. It's like SE doesn't think people outside of Japan will take the game seriously unless the tone of the text is ridiculous. I imagine this may lead to a western perspective that DQ games are a bit sillier, while FF games maintain a more serious tone.

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
LuckyTrouble said:
Dragon Quest is undeniably the stronger JRPG series. Through each numbered iteration, it has stayed true to the JRPG formula and has prioritized storytelling and world building over how flashy attacks move or how interactive battles feel. Admittedly, I would enjoy it if DQ XI could branch out just a bit since it will be a PS4 title, but I also don't need them to abandon their gameplay mainstays,

Final Fantasy has definitely shifted to western appeal to try to make sales due to falling popularity in Japan over the past decade or so. It's a model that has worked well. The general response from the sample in this thread seems to show that SE has been successful in marketing to the west with FF while keeping DQ more focused on Japan. Personally, I've gotten a bit tired of Final Fantasy as every iteration since and including X has failed to grab me because of linearity issues, character issues, and a constantly in flux battle system that has yet to figure out if it wants to be action or more traditional. I'm really hoping XV turns my opinion around.

All that aside, It may not help DQ in the west that the company that translates the games has flat out butchered story elements multiple times in the past to add silly accents and bad jokes. I have no idea why, to this day, that is considered okay. It's like SE doesn't think people outside of Japan will take the game seriously unless the tone of the text is ridiculous. I imagine this may lead to a western perspective that DQ games are a bit sillier, while FF games maintain a more serious tone.

Cough.....Dragon Quest X.

Shhh....

Dragon Quest X was SE pulling an FF XI. It may bear a number, but it's hardly a numbered title.

FF, I buy systems for FF and Koei Tecmo games. If both became exclusive to Samsung smart Tvs or something, I would buy it or quit gaming.

DQ to me is like the extra frosting on top. As with many other franchises, like Persona, Star Ocean, Fallout, Kingdom Hearts, etc.