By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Game budgets

Ka-pi96 said:
Don`t know how they spent $100m on Too Human. I enjoyed the game, but in no way did it feel like a $100m game.

Oh and kinda surprised that FF9 was cheaper to develop than 7, especially since I think 9 was much the better game.

A big part of FFVII devlopment cost should be their first 3D engine, while VIII and IX probably recycled a lot of VII's assets and code.

Around the Network

So basically The Witcher is just a cheap ass game. Or the company knows something about keeping costs at a 'minimum'.

Those World of Warcraft numbers really don't compare...

The WoW budget is of 2004. I'm pretty sure that they invested a bit more in the last 12 years into that game.

I agree with nautilus.
Most of these costs come from the marketing side.
The actual development doesn't cost THAT much.

Mosfet said:
I agree with nautilus.
Most of these costs come from the marketing side.
The actual development doesn't cost THAT much.

Development costs only get out of hand when it takes too long or the game switches platforms or gets started from scratch a couple of times.

Around the Network

I'd like to see game budgets getting smaller. Maybe scale back in the graphics department for example? You don't need huge budgets for great games and there are some terrible games that cost a lot of money.

Chris Hu said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Don`t know how they spent $100m on Too Human. I enjoyed the game, but in no way did it feel like a $100m game.

Oh and kinda surprised that FF9 was cheaper to develop than 7, especially since I think 9 was much the better game.

Too Human was that expensive because it had numerous development cycles it started out as a PS1 game then a Gamecube game before it landed on the 360.

The PS1 and Gamecube parts were mostly art and FMV.  The game was mostly in the concept stage back then which didn't factor in much.  The $100 Million is also wrong though.  

Microsoft budgeted $80 Million for the whole Too Human trilogy.  The first game cost at least $30-35 Million to develop on the Xbox 360 plus what ever the advertising budget was ($10M?), plus Silicon Knights was ordered to pay $9 Million to Epic over the Unreal Engine 3 dispute.  With more than half their budget gone with the first game and with little to no return MS decided to axe the rest of the trilogy. 

Destiny totals 500? Wut.