By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Bethesda Announced Anti-Consumer Review Policy

Could someone summarize and save me giving an irate youtuber a view? Not the content I think there needs to be more of.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Consumers have a response if they want to take it. Stop pre-ordering Bethesda games. But no, too many gamers love their favourite publishers and will see shit as prime steak if it comes out of their butts (not specific to Bethesda fans), and so the opposite will happen. A lot of gamers (enough for Bethesda to feel vindicated and for other publishers to follow suite) will see the media's negativity to this as the actual evil, and will pre-order with greater fervour than they did before.

I enjoyed the Total Biscuit video on this. Haven't watched the video in the OP. Too many Jim Sterling haters around here to give him props for his take on this. But when TB and Jim Fucking Sterling Son see squarely eye to eye on a subject people should really pay attention.

Why?  Who the hell are they?  Youtubers who make money off talking about games?  As an appeal to authority, that fails.  They mean nothing to me.  I don't even know what that is supposed to signify.

This is pretty simple.  All the power is in the hands of the consumers and they can do what they want.  If they want to pre-order then more power to them.  It's their money.  If they want to wait to for reviews, more power to them.  People really need to stop telling other people what to do with their money.  The only ones really hurt by this are those used to being treated like video-game Royalty because they get code early.  Video-game "personalities" are the last thing in the world I give a damn about.  

Bethesda gets almost universally great reviews on their titles. I don't think this is a case of wanting to take advantage of gamers going in on day 1 unaware of 'bad things' but rather Bethesda just doesn't enjoy the headache of deciding who to send early copies of the game to review and going through the whole process of that

in the end those pumped for day 1 release are probably going to buy the game day 1 regardless, and others can hold off a few days after release for reviews to pop up then.

It doesn't have any major effect. Again, if this were a company infamous for sketchy releases at times (Ubisoft, EA) then I would be more concerned. Bethesda almost never truly fails so I don't think its justified to label this as some anti consumer move. If anything its possibly anti media/game sites... which based on Bethesda's history of a ton of 'gamer' sites leaking spoil information for their games, I'm not shocked

Ganoncrotch said:
Could someone summarize and save me giving an irate youtuber a view? Not the content I think there needs to be more of.

Bethesda has decided to not send out early code for review for all future games.  I think they're sending it out one day ahead, which likely means reviewers be getting the same copy as consumers.  Gaming media is going rage-mode.

OneAngryGamer has a pretty interesting alternative view on this. Some examples of shitty reviews the site gave made me go "How did this person get this job?" I can see why Bethesda is doing what it's doing because some reviewers can't resist instilling politics and social justice in their writing whereas consumers care if the game of interest is actually good or not.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
binary solo said:
Consumers have a response if they want to take it. Stop pre-ordering Bethesda games. But no, too many gamers love their favourite publishers and will see shit as prime steak if it comes out of their butts (not specific to Bethesda fans), and so the opposite will happen. A lot of gamers (enough for Bethesda to feel vindicated and for other publishers to follow suite) will see the media's negativity to this as the actual evil, and will pre-order with greater fervour than they did before.

I enjoyed the Total Biscuit video on this. Haven't watched the video in the OP. Too many Jim Sterling haters around here to give him props for his take on this. But when TB and Jim Fucking Sterling Son see squarely eye to eye on a subject people should really pay attention.

Why?  Who the hell are they?  Youtubers who make money off talking about games?  As an appeal to authority, that fails.  They mean nothing to me.  I don't even know what that is supposed to signify.

This is pretty simple.  All the power is in the hands of the consumers and they can do what they want.  If they want to pre-order then more power to them.  It's their money.  If they want to wait to for reviews, more power to them.  People really need to stop telling other people what to do with their money.  The only ones really hurt by this are those used to being treated like video-game Royalty because they get code early.  Video-game "personalities" are the last thing in the world I give a damn about.  

Youtubers who are actually unaffected by such tactics because their income and their audience are not reliant on them having reviews out on the day or before a game is released who are examining the situation from a broader perspective.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

couldn´t care less...

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Aura7541 said:

OneAngryGamer has a pretty interesting alternative view on this. Some examples of shitty reviews the site gave made me go "How did this person get this job?" I can see why Bethesda is doing what it's doing because some reviewers can't resist instilling politics and social justice in their writing whereas consumers care if the game of interest is actually good or not.

Shitty clickbait reviews with political agendas don't matter if a game is good and meets target audience expectations. And normally those sorts of reviews help a game to do better. If a SJW blasts a game as sexist or racist or whatever does that make you more or less sympathetic towards the game?

So companies are being pretty pathetic if they are making decisions based on reviewers and websites with poloitical agendas.

Funny how some people on here are putting out the whole "buy the game if you want to review it" BS. But Bethesda is still handing out free code, so they still see sales as review dependant and getting good reviews as important enough to hand out free games to it's approved reviewers.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

I've never quite understood the whole preorder thing. Or even buying a game on day one.

The way I see it, if previews and stuff hasn't convinced you on a game, or if the developer the game is from has a history of releasing buggy stuff..... wait. They are the ones that need us not the other way round. Wait. An extra day or two or three or four won't kill you.

DLC, microtransactions, Day one patches, generally buggy games.... we bring all that shit onto ourselves. Cause believe me, if publishers see that gamers won't buy a game that has this or does that? They simply won't put it int the next game.

If there is any foul shit these pubs do? it's cause we let them get away with it. So when I see things like this, my first thought isn't how anti consumer they are, rather its that this or that publisher has just told us how stupid we are or at least they think we are.

lol I always saw it as anti-consumer when publishers carefully sent out review-copies for the corrupt industrry to line up all those clichéd reviews in perfect time for launch. Review or ad, it's all part of marketing.

Pro-consumer, now that's when everybody gets to play the game on the same day regardless of his status.

In particular I hate that it's these Youtuber personalities that are whining the most, conveniently enough. Dirty money-whores, as if they represent the little guy. Absolutely laughable. Always this "we're doing it for you guys" when the ad-money continues pouring in. FUCK YOU! And fuck your stinking ad-revenue, corrupt pieces of shit.

I hate the influence of youtubers in this modern generation, as if it wasn't enough with the corrupted online magazines and so called gaming journalists.

Bethesda did an awesome thing. Now I hope they have the guts to stand up against this flaming campaign.