By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart 8 hits 8 million

VAMatt said:
Jranation said:
Very very nice!!!

If MK8 Switch is true then can we combine both sales?

I believe June 2017 will be 3 years after the launch of MK8.  I'd like to see MK9 by holiday 2017.  

I doubt it my friend. If i had to guess educationally it be something like this (for sequels and enhanced ports)

MK8S launch - MK9 2018 Holiday

SplatoonS launch - Spla2oon 2018 Q1 or Q2

SSB4S 2017 Q2 or Q3 - SSB5 either 2020 or launch with next gen console

Around the Network

They're not going to move consoles to Wii U owners very well if they just port existing games over. Wii U owners are definitely the most loyal Nintendo customers, so they certainly want to get those sales.

Jranation said:
VAMatt said:

I believe June 2017 will be 3 years after the launch of MK8.  I'd like to see MK9 by holiday 2017.  

Since there going to release an enhance port of it, I dont think we will see it any time soon. Especially how there may have been games that originally going to release on the Wii u but got moved to the Switch. 

Do you or anyone know if there is a pattern of Mario Kart games getting released? 

The last 3 games were released three years after the previous one.  The two games before that were released two years apart.  

It's incredible such a game has been able to not only exceed expectations, but also continue firing at the sales charts and have extensive legs that put pretty much most, if not all, other first party, current gen exclusives from other consoles to shame. More than half the user base got Mario Kart 8

Didn't someone post this thread already?

Though, well done for MK8 indeed

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
They're not going to move consoles to Wii U owners very well if they just port existing games over. Wii U owners are definitely the most loyal Nintendo customers, so they certainly want to get those sales.

They aren't simple ports though. Depending on the extent of the enhancements and pricing I could easily see them bringing people over when coupled with plenty of new experiences of course.

ok people settle down, it's not that simple, it's easy to sell a lot when you're one of the only games on the system, imagine if ps4 only had Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, what would all those 45m people buy? well what else? they can only buy Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, that's the situation on the wii u, but that's not the situation on ps4, and that's not the situation that should be, so all the "you see now haters?? wiii u games can selll tooo (insert feels trollface)" can calm down

OnyxPrime said:
ok people settle down, it's not that simple, it's easy to sell a lot when you're one of the only games on the system, imagine if ps4 only had Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, what would all those 45m people buy? well what else? they can only buy Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, that the situation on the wii u, but that's not the situation on ps4, and that's not the situation that should be, so all the "you see now haters?? wiii u games can selll tooo (insert feels trollface)" can calm down

This is a fair point.  Since MK8 is one of maybe 10 truly great games on the system, it has a huge advantage over a title on system with 50 great games.  

Still, I think it serves as a very important reminder that it is possible to make money from AAA software on a system with a small install base.  

OnyxPrime said:
ok people settle down, it's not that simple, it's easy to sell a lot when you're one of the only games on the system, imagine if ps4 only had Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, what would all those 45m people buy? well what else? they can only buy Uncharted 4 & Bloodborne, that the situation on the wii u, but that's not the situation on ps4, and that's not the situation that should be, so all the "you see now haters?? wiii u games can selll tooo (insert feels trollface)" can calm down

Yeah , right, sure.  Mario Kart 8 is the only game.  Nevermind Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros, New Super Mario Brothers U, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Wonderful 101, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, etc etc etc.  All these other games that are not only there but have not been aided by the lack of 3rd party support to sell anywhere near this despite being positively received by all involved.  Nevermind that low installbases traditionally don't help sales of games based on past patterns.  Nevermind that many if not most Wii U owners almost certainly own another major gaming platform since, despite what many like to think on the internetz, console warz aren't serious business and you don't have to sign your right to buy a PS4 away when you buy a Wii U, thus rendering your "no games to buy" argument moot.  Yeah nevermind all those facts, let's just live in your little fantasy.

Cloudman said:
Didn't someone post this thread already?

Though, well done for MK8 indeed

I think there was One thread where it had all the Nintendo  games sales data. But this one is only for MK8. 

Pocky Lover Boy!